It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Mary ad creates controversy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Interesting article that I read in the Sun this morning. There's a church in NZ that stirs things up things up at Christmas time by putting up pictures that are thought provoking to say the least. This year it's a picture of the Virgin Mary getting news from a pregnancy test.

An ad in front of a New Zealand church is causing controversy because it shows a shocked Virgin Mary holding a positive pregnancy test.

Vicar Glynn Cardy took to the St. Matthew-in-the-City's Facebook page to say he received more than 200 e-mails about the ad.

"Huge amounts of projection," Cardy wrote giving examples of some of the e-mails, such as, "You make (Mary) look like a whore," "No one who is a virgin needs a pregnancy test," and his personal favourite, "You are destroying the fabric of society that gives rise to bigots and fanatics and then think it is OK to no longer follow rules."

www.torontosun.com...

It has apparently created a stir with people. In their own defense they claim:

"Mary was unmarried, young, and poor. This pregnancy would shape her future. She was certainly not the first woman in this situation or the last," they wrote.

When many parts of Christmas are "make-believe," it's important to remember the "real" story, they said.

"It's real. Christmas is real. It's about a real pregnancy, a real mother and a real child. It's about real anxiety, courage and hope," they wrote.

The ad, which looks like a painting and is on a billboard in front of the church, has no words on it.

"We invite you to wonder what your caption might be," they wrote.

So, is this modernizing the Immaculate Conception or is it truly offensive. Personally I like it. With the media these days making light of teenage pregnancy, see movies like Juno, I think it sends a message to todays youth.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Religious fanatics are usualy touchy about this sort of stuff. Though a modern day version of the the christian bible is long over due i think. Its not been re-written for quite some time, bet you the christian God would be quite the player in modern times running around "immaculate coneceptioning" all the young fine things around town.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

So, is this modernizing the Immaculate Conception or is it truly offensive. Personally I like it. With the media these days making light of teenage pregnancy, see movies like Juno, I think it sends a message to todays youth.

Please google the immaculate conception... it is not the conception of Jesus in Mary's womb.. but is actually the conception of Mary in her mothers womb without original sin. I used to think the same as you..and many others do as well.. but in fact it is wrong.

I'm only correcting you because ..someone else will at some point.. and its better to understand the truth of where that term came from and what it actually means.

I think the add is silly.. and takes away from the true holiness of the miracle that happened to a virgin... putting teen pregnancy in the same category .

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Semantics. Words and phrases evolve. Like calling blacks, whites, Asians, etc. "races". We are all the same race but it's evolved that we accept each as a race now.

Secondly, let's not devolve this topic into something that it's not. It's not a religious vs Atheist thread. It's about the poster. Thoughts on that only please.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well for it to work, it does suggest that Jesus would have been a man, that alone has some pretty far reaching theological implications. Dont think Catholics are going to like that very much.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

In a post on the Auckland church's website, titled Mary is in the pink, Cardy and associate priest Clay Nelson write that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

You might want to inform the priest of your knowledge of the immaculate conception.

That said, I don't believe the artist put enough emotion into the picture. Her eyes should either point to happiness or shock, but rather seem to be void of emotion. (sort of conflicts with the hand over her mouth)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Semantics. Words and phrases evolve. Like calling blacks, whites, Asians, etc. "races". We are all the same race but it's evolved that we accept each as a race now.

It is not just a matter of semantics. The Immaculate Conception is something totally different than the conception of Jesus. It's the conception of Mary in her mother's womb. You are using the term Immaculate Conception interchangeably for two totally different things.

And I'm not sure how you can introduce a subject that is rife with "religious" connotations and then request posters not talk about it's religious implications. Personally, I don't like it, but for what you would call "religious" reasons.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Redux

OK, now do you have any thoughts on the poster?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Redux

Why dont you like it though?

Just curious, as im not particulary religious myself i often find myself flummoxed by religious outrage.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Redux

OK, now do you have any thoughts on the poster?

I already posted my thoughts.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Redux

Yip and a nods as good as a wink eh?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
reply to post by Redux

Why dont you like it though?

Just curious, as im not particulary religious myself i often find myself flummoxed by religious outrage.

I'm not outraged by it (and I'm not saying that you are saying that I am, I'm just saying that to clarify). I don't like it I suppose because it takes something away from what really happened 2000 years ago - it points people in a different direction than what was meant by Jesus' conception etc. But at the same time, it doesn't perturb me endlessly because I figure that if someone is going to hear about Jesus, they will some other way. I don't know if I expressed that very well - not always good with words.

Edited to add: It takes a totally supernatural happening and makes it common.

But in the end, it's just my opinion. People are gonna do what they're gonna do.

edit on 17-12-2011 by Redux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
reply to post by Redux

Yip and a nods as good as a wink eh?

Uh, say what? LOL.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I want that poster to be framed and hung in my room, I thinks that is brilliant.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ahh....I see it in the picture now.
She is not upset, and she is not happy. She appears to be yawning.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Secondly, let's not devolve this topic into something that it's not. It's not a religious vs Atheist thread. It's about the poster. Thoughts on that only please.

???..you ask me not to go off topic..yet you reply with a bunch of babble about races??
Who said anything about religious versus atheism ?..again you go off topic..

I merely replied to your op..and if you read it..I gave my response on the poster..as well as commented on your words of "immaculate conception".

All totally on topic.. reread my reply again..

But your response to me does exactly what you asked me not to do.. bringing in religion versus atheism.. which I never mentioned..

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

You might want to inform the priest of your knowledge of the immaculate conception.

Any ordained priest in the catholic church knows what is referred to by the immaculate conception.. it was after all introduced by the catholic church.

Now..as far as priests and leaders from other denominations.. they may have it confused as well.

edit on 17-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Wonderful.....but this is off topic. If your religious views differ with the priests please bring that up with them. (as I suggested earlier)

IF you have a comment on the PICTURE, that is what this form is for.

(please don't cloud up the thread.....it is simply not polite)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

Wonderful.....but this is off topic. If your religious views differ with the priests please bring that up with them. (as I suggested earlier)

IF you have a comment on the PICTURE, that is what this form is for.

(please don't cloud up the thread.....it is simply not polite)

excuse me.. I did comment on the picture.. and you are clouding up the thread by lies..

My views do not differ from the priests .. and you have just clouded up the thread with your nonsense replies..

Can you READ?.. perhaps you would like to read my first post again..where I commented on the picture..

I think the add is silly.. and takes away from the true holiness of the miracle that happened to a virgin... putting teen pregnancy in the same category .

Isn't this site about denying ignorance? I've had with people who think they can admonish someone for doing the exact same thing they admonish them for..

So my advice to you would be don't reply to this post.

edit on 17-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Redux

So you do not like parody?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join