It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook just censored my support for Ron Paul!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Don't know if you guys remember 2007 days when Ron Paul was blatantly censored on Myspace. I remember no one could send messages to other people with his name in it, or post bulletins for his campaign. It was pretty bad.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueSuperman

Yes but the issue here, there seems to be some inconsistency on this thread with who gets censored on FB, thats the point, theres no such inconsistency with media outlets, they just employ blanket censorship to all.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Trust me dude I agree. The thing that bugs me is that in this "free society" that we live in......No one seems to care about the issues that effect them and keep them free. Anything decided on Capital Hill effects them one way or another directly or indirectly.

I absolutely despise when I hear people say, "I'm just not into politics" or "Geez dude, you just like politics more then me". Politics isn't an INTEREST. Its inherent of every American to be aware and to pay attention. Otherwise who is holding these politicians accountable? People care more about voting for American Idol then they do politics.

Instead we, as a nation, whine and moan about things YEARS after the damage has been done. Occupy Movement is a great example. These protests should have happened in 2008 when the bailout went down. Hell, I was screaming "revolution" back then.

I'm 23 and I can confidently say that a majority of peers my age CARELESS about politics and more about how drunk they can get on the weekends. NOTE: I go out on the weekends to and do my fair share of drinking/smoking too so I'm not a square. I'm just like any other kid in that notion.

When I do get instances to bring politics into a conversation they roll their eyes as if I'm crazy or they don't care. Like it bores them. Some of my friends I'm able to have rousing conversation about "politics" but only AFTER this Occupy Wall Street started to happen and Anonymous made it "cool" like they were in some Wachoski Bros film. Granted I am happy to see more people finally waking up. Note: I use a quotation around "politics" because I feel like the issues I address is stuff that is effecting our future. Its far more then petty "politics".

I feel like I do my part in "spreading the word" by spamming Facebook with ATS videos. I've actually had people over time start to say, " Hey dude, where do you find this stuff? Its awesome!". Otherwise the news will never post the stuff we here at ATS do. So I look at it as slowly waking people up. At least SOME people are waking up. One thing I can say is people don't like doom and gloom and that's what turns them off. So try to stay positive when "spreading the word".

“The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything” --Albert Einstein
edit on 17-12-2011 by FreedomXisntXFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by royspeed

Just another reason why Facebook needs to dissolve permanently.

Really think about it. "Face" "Book". Think "Book 'em, Danno."
It was designed to keep tabs on people and essentially collect constantly updated photos of people's faces for government facial recognition technology. We know this is true, so why do people keep giving them what they want. If it was a completely harmless tool for communication, they would've called it "ConnectBook" or something along those lines.

Facebook is a huge player in the matrix they're trying to trap us into. Of course they're going to monitor and toss out any info they deem as unacceptable.
edit on 17-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

The establishment is trying to squash Ron Paul's support. He has been the only politician who I feel even really cares about the public. Everyone else has their own agenda and lies to the masses to get elected. Ron Paul has been consistent in his views for years. Of course, because he's a real candidate he'll never get elected. The rest of 'em are all phonies, liers, and cheats.

I deleted my FB page last week. I"m revolting! I'm trying to support these cheaters less and less. Last week I got rid of my smart phone and went back to an old razor. I'm sick of supporting the wallets of the rich. To hell with them all!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomXisntXFree

Trust me dude I agree. The thing that bugs me is that in this "free society" that we live in......No one seems to care about the issues that effect them and keep them free. Anything decided on Capital Hill effects them one way or another directly or indirectly.

I absolutely despise when I hear people say, "I'm just not into politics" or "Geez dude, you just like politics more then me". Politics isn't an INTEREST. Its inherent of every American to be aware and to pay attention. Otherwise who is holding them accountable. Instead we whine and moan about things YEARS after the damage has been done. A LA Occupy Movement. These protests should have happened in 2008 when the bailout went down.

I'm 23 and I can confidently say that a majority of peers my age CARELESS about politics and more about getting drunk on the weekends. And when I do get instances to bring politics into a conversation they roll their eyes as if I'm crazy.

I feel like I do my part in "spreading the word" by spamming Facebook with ATS videos. I've actually had people over time start to say, " Hey dude, where do you find this stuff? Its awesome!".

“The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything” --Albert Einstein

I'm just a couple years older than you and I see much of the same. One thing I have noticed, however, is by constantly posting on social media I have raised awareness in those same people. A friend I would've never been able to talk politics with a couple years ago can now enjoy a few drinks and discuss these topics. Persistence is key.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Ive seen a lot of people complaining that facebook is censoring what they say. Thats not true. They dont have an army scouring every facebook post, looking to delete anything that doesnt support the status quo.
what they do have however though is this-

And they will pretty much always delete a post that someone has reported as "offensive" to them. so more than likely, one of your friends, or one of your friends friends, reported your post as offensive, and thus it was deleted.

Ive been thinking about this for some time now, how incredibly creepy it is that facebook let users do this.
When you think about it, peole on FB have 4 options to deal with this stuff.
1. they can bury or hide the offending post so it no longer shows up
2. they can unsubscribe from you, meaning any updates or posts you create will not show up on their news feed, however if they happen to browse to a post where you have posted, they will still see it.
3. they can defriend you.

These 3 seem acceptable.
but the last option is what i just showed you, to complain about a post and have it removed.

That just blows my mind. Letting other people control what content you post on your own digital space. it seems to me the first 3 options are enough to deal with this issue. They seriously let other people trample your 1st amendment rights, when in reality, that person should just have the option to bury your or unsubscribe to you.
but letting us control other peoples opinions? scary

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I think in most cases, they assume a certain level of objectivity among the general population. Except in the case of trolls.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
failbook is such a manipulating thing...glad i never joind =) i think its like yt where mysteriously some channels get deleted or videos get lost because of "copyright claims"....give this whole failbook thing 5 more years and you'll see...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have yet to be censored by Facebook for promoting Ron Paul. I post a lot of videos and links and I even took it a step further with the latest changes to facebook (timeline - banner image). I put the red boxes over personal information and friends.

I use Facebook as a platform to help spread the message. So far so good.
edit on 12/17/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have seen fb censor RP stuff too.

I get a bit paranoid about this stuff.
My Klout score is high- runs over 60 usually. (If you know what a klout score is.)

Well the day of the last debate or right before it, I got an invite to a site called bottlenose, from klout.
I like to check out as much social media as I can, as early as I can, so I signed up. Connected my twitter and facebook. ok

Then the night of the debate, I could not get to either facebook OR twitter until 30 minutes or so after the debate was over.

In the past, I've tweeted this or that about the debate and my tweets have been retweeted, even by some journalists.

Well, this time I was a dead dolphin in the water.
Not sure why, but things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Interestingly, my husband was on the same network and had no trouble accessing either.
I couldn't access mine from any pc.
edit on 17-12-2011 by hadriana because: I said bottleneck, which was probably a Freudian slip

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Facebook doesn't have employees who go onto the pages of individuals and just spontaneously delete comments and posts that they don't like or approve of. What a ludicrous accusation. Only the author and the person whose page that the comment is on can be under suspicion for deleted comments.
edit on 17-12-2011 by unworldly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
Facebook doesn't have employees who go onto the pages of individuals and just spontaneously delete comments and posts that they don't like or approve of. What a ludicrous accusation. Only the author and the person whose page that the comment is on can be under suspicion for deleted comments.
edit on 17-12-2011 by unworldly because: (no reason given)

unworldly, don't take this the wrong way but in this day and age it is naive to suggest that is the only way to censor things that don't fit a certain mold. Technology has the capability of programming measures to remove those objects.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Been 6 hours and nothing happened to my post on facebook...

Maybe you did something else wrong?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

For God's sake man; are we really going to get this technical?

Choose your own form of censorship: a rogue, evil facebook-employee with a grudge against Ron Paul who is rampaging through facebook to delete comments and posts that support him a bit too much; a high-tech software program that crawls the zillions of facebook posts to weed out anything that helps to elevate Ron Paul; or a special task-force of Ron Paul haters who have infiltrated facebook and are hacking their way into the accounts of Ron Paul supporters in order to remove supportive commentary. No matter how you want to go about describing this, it's still absurd.

Posts on facebook that are in support of Ron Paul are *not* being deleted by anyone other than their authors or the owners of the pages in which they are posted.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well if Iran can indeed hack our Stealth drones then they can hack facebook, it would be in Irans best intrest to LOVE ron paul and restore the deleted posts

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
you don't own facebook. someone else does. it's a free social based network. you are writing on someones elses chalkboard.

if they don't like what you said, they can erase it since it belongs to them.

people have to start to realize this basic concept and stop screaming free speech.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I read this thread over carefully and I have a suggestion of what might have happened. First, I am assuming the OP did check and confirm the friend wasn't the source of the deletion. It wasn't until I saw the posted Captcha message that it clicked for what may very well have happened here.

For those who aren't or weren't on the Alex Jones network of sites, he had a little game he was just so thrilled to play against Google and others with the help of his fans...and sometimes without his encouragement being needed at all. Anyway, he'd take a phrase, story or catchy one liner and suggest people bomb google with it to bugger their trend reports and frequency of search for the given phrase. It was amusing, I'll admit and shockingly effective.....but such fun isn't without a price. Nothing comes free in life, right?

What do people think the odds are that places like FB watched those stupid stunts and put a little thought into the sheer numbers required to so quickly short circuit the ratings system of the largest search engine in existence? How long do we all believe it took for FB's IT Security division to think hard on just how easily that kind of flood and strike against their service could really tear things up?? I'll bet in both cases here, (OP and that Captcha message on a test run) users have found and demonstrated what measures were put into place to avoid a destructive style of Ron Paul protest...as AJ's network encouraged those many times against others....

Less than a minute also tells me it has nothing to do with human beings trolling for Ron Paul material to zap and bury. I'm guessing their scanners were set to a set of keywords and perhaps only in specific orders of occurance to trip their meters and bring help running in response to any HINT of a coming Ron Paul support wave against their service. I'm just guessing..but it makes sense and sure explains this better than thinking FB actually has political hacks sitting there on the edge of their seats, waiting for the next user to dare post a positive Paul comment.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Posted on my page as well with the comment and other pro-Ron Paul quips.

Let's see if they'll censor my page.

I've heard of them doing before, with Occupy and other things, but even with the enormous amount of stuff I've posted along these lines (Bashing the fed, supporting Ron Paul, calling the US govt a bunch of c*cksucking fascists, etc) my page has never been 'censored'... Yet...

There's a first time for everything right?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It used to be that when I'd try to post anonymous videos or information, I would get a message saying "Unapproved content cannot be posted."

SO they defintely have automated code that is capable of censoring some stuff.

Sometimes facebook just burps though and loses posts.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

It was a reply to one of your friends post? Your friend most likely purposefully or accidentley deleted your post.

If it was your status that would be a different story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join