It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia Could Pre-emptively Strike Terrorist Bases Anywhere

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
The Russian government has openly offered a reward of 10,000,000 dollars to anyone who could capture or provide any information leading to the discovery of of Chechen Rebels.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Russia's Federal Security Service on Wednesday offered a reward of 300 million rubles (US$10.3 million) for information that could help "neutralize" Chechen rebel leaders Shamil Basayev, seen in this 1999 photograph, and Aslan Maskhadov.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am not sure if I agree with this action. I was going to argue that this is illegal because I misread the article but, now that I am better informed I am not arguing that.

But I am goign to say alittle something about it, and this should say alittle something about Russia. You know when other countries get attacked and plagued with war. They defend themselves and deal with it or call on ... USA to help them out of thier little mess.

But not Russia they offer 10 million dollars or 300 million rubles. Just wanted to let you guys know since most of you guys on here seem to know everything about everything that goes on in the world.

[edit on 9-8-2004 by Valhall]

"Neutralize" means "dead or alive" to the russians. Finally someone has placed a death bounty on a terrorist. This is practcally what it amounts to. Im glad that they have taken these steps. The US needs to be harsher in the treatment to these terrorists. They have no rights they are enemy combatants.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'd like to see Russia get on board and help us in this battle. This is not an American war only. This is war that must involve all the freedom loving nations of the world, because none of us are immune to this fanatical movement of savages who have not one ounce of decency about them.

Here, here i agree.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

not to be making light of this devastating situation, but say things didn't turn out well and the hostages are killed, could this be the cataclysmic event that steers russia towards finally joining the eu/nato...?

-raven

i'd just like to point out that my prediction made way back on sept 1st could turn out to be fairly accurate

On Russia-NATO cooperation, Jones said it is impossible to ensure security in the 21st century without developing partnership with Russia. He stressed the importance of maintaining cooperation with Russia despite certain disagreements between NATO and Russia. It is necessary to work jointly on all problems, primarily on those related to new threats.

thanks for the info Creepy.

-raven

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Stumason, your nitpicking over facts
AND not seeing very relavent parallels to today.
try this
www.worldwariihistory.info...
Here is an exerpt,

During March 1938 German troops had occupied Austria, incorporating it into the Reich. In September Hitler announced that the "oppression" of ethnic Germans living in Czechoslovakia was intolerable and that war was near. England and France met with Hitler (the Munich Pact) and compelled Czechoslovakia to cede its frontier districts to Germany in order to secure "peace in our time." Peace, however, was only an illusion. During March 1939 Hitler seized the rest of Czechoslovakia by force of arms and then turned his attention to Poland. Although Britain and France had guaranteed the integrity of Poland, Hitler and Josef Stalin, dictator of the Soviet Union, signed a secret, mutual nonaggression pact in August 1939. With the pact Stalin bought time to build up his strength at the expense of Britain and France, and Hitler gained a free hand to deal with Poland. When Hitler's army invaded Poland on 1 September 1939, World War II began.
Lets note a few things,
In 38' Germany had ALREADY STARTED aggressions by taking Austria AND a piece of Czechoslovakia...weather Britain and France returned aggression is irrelavent. Indeed Both nations asked the czechs to give in to German demands!!!(lesson is APPEASMENT/containment policies rarely work)
In 39' Germany FINISHED taking what they wanted from the Czechs and then attacked Poland, which Britain and France had agreed to defend...this FORCED them into the conflict and the WWII was OFFICIALY declared.
By this time tho Germany had already taken 3 countries tho....before anyone decided to stop appeasing Hitler and actually DO something.

What can be learned?
Appeasment and containment policies rarely stop those that are determined to do it anyway...kinda like terrorists...they should be given no room to wiggle, plan or continue in their defiance.

Also note that much like today, nations would rather keep their heads in the sand and pretend that "peace in our time" is happening, when in fact, the badguys have been doing things all along that should have been wakeup calls to action.
This is why ignoring terrorism isnt a good plan...America finally pulled its head out of the sand on 9-11, and now russia has the excuse they needed to really crack down on a situation that has been brewing for a while.

Im glad to see Russia and the USA at least talking about ways to combine efforts along these lines....Both countries have conducted JOINT millitary exercises in the past which i think will help if forces get close to each other, or have a potential to conflict over an individual situation, but not the over all problem. It is highly unlikley that either side would have recognized units engage the other...its more likley that they will work out a way to not have this occur and infact either do nothing to interfere or actually go in together.

Putin is not stupid, he would not squander this "free attack" card by attacking someplace questionable without first letting the USA/NATO at least know about it. IF they felt it was nessisary to go into a NATO or even questionable area, im sure they would not do it in a way to discredit their ability to do so with the other big players. There is no need now that they can "take the high road".

Lets talk the UN,
As both the USA and Russia basically OWN big chunks of the UN, the responce would be a veto of consequences in the security council by one of the members.
Also, Bush went to the UN and basically said "PUT UP OR BE IRRELAVENT"
Yes some of the intel was not as accurate as we OR the rest of the nations that contributed to it and RECCOGNISED it as fact wished NOW that it was.
The UN did unanimously pass the last resolution against Iraq, but it had no teeth to it, so it was just throwing another piece of paper at an already high stack against Iraq.
The USA had had enough of this coddling, and said so....then we AGAIN went back to the UN and requested another resolution that had concequences, but FRANCE and Germany to a lesser extent, refused to do this. (Because they were profiteering off secret deals they had with saddam, I.E. the food for oil rippoff) The USA was right to then say, "well the UN is useless and cant enforce its own sanctions, so why ask it for new ones?" We did what they were unwilling to do, and moreover, we did it to defend American and allied interests. (Not everyone in the UN is our ally)
The USA owns, pays the most, and constitutes the biggest millitarypart of the UN....it works for us, not us for them.

Stumason erroniously says,

Iraq posed no threat, and was unjustifiably invaded by a coalition of warmongering nations.
They threatened coalition aircraft all the time as they patroled the UN sanctioned no fly zones in Iraq....this behaivior alone would be enough to void the cease-fire agreement, allowing the conflict to resume.

The other unstated reason to go into Iraq is to show that the USA and others ARE WILLING to remove our heads from the sand and TAKE ACTION...up to and including taking casualties....which was becomming a common misconception that we wouldnt. Look at Ghadaffi, once he saw that we indeed WOULD do more than pay lip service and lob a few missiles/bombs...he GAVE UP his WMD programs..and we werent really even chasing him to hard about things....suddenly the stakes were too high for him to want to risk being ousted.

Saddam miscalculated when he thought "they wont do anything"...If he'd have just complied with the sanctions/inspections... he'd still be in power (although he'd look weak both internally AND to the muslim nations for caving in...this would dimminish his power/credabillity)
Iraq was the seccond domino right behind Afganistan, the signal is that there ARE other dominos...I.E. Iran, N.Korea, Syria, and others....
Just like 9-11 was a wake up call to the USA....Iraq is a signal that the USA is no longer going to sit and suffer threats and attacks. Now neither is Russia. Yeah for the good guys! Watch out rouge/terror states.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Good to see the Russian Bear awakening again. I don't like the West's double standards on Chechnya I think they are grossly unfair considering that the Chechen Rebels are terrorists and there are terrorists in Chechnya unlike Iraq. Putin and the Russian Defense Ministry has a duty to protect the Russian people from the Chechens and from the West undermining their efforts.

Shame on you US and EU.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
Good to see the Russian Bear awakening again. I don't like the West's double standards on Chechnya I think they are grossly unfair considering that the Chechen Rebels are terrorists and there are terrorists in Chechnya unlike Iraq. Putin and the Russian Defense Ministry has a duty to protect the Russian people from the Chechens and from the West undermining their efforts.

Shame on you US and EU.

thanks,
drfunk

Shame on UK and US for harboring Chechen terrorists.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Shame on UK and US for harboring Chechen terrorists.

Agreed. There is no longer any reason for the west to covertly support any sort of Chechen uprising now that the Caspian Sea Basin has been tapped by the west through the BTC pipeline.

The west's focus should now be on increasing cooperation with Russia, aiming for eventual inclusion in the NATO and EU partnerships.

-raven

[edit on 10-9-2004 by raven2012]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If they do attack america will it be anything like that one movie where the russians took over a small town out west and the kids from the local high school faught them. Unfortunately I only saw a little part of the movie and do not know the name of it.
If anyone knows let me know. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The name of the flick is RED DAWN, rent it dont watch the edited for tv version.
While its a little of a stretch, it does capture the spirit of American freedom and patriotism....(I was ready to become a resistance member after watching it)

The russians would have to be a lot tougher to get into a position like the one the movie portrayed.

I still welcome peace with them tho...and hope the USA and Russia (i soo miss saying USSR) will improve relations thru this war on terror.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
----Edited----

[edit on 11-9-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226

You just wait until next year, like VP Dick said, "...we'll get hit..."

War on Poverty....more poverty.
War on Drugs.....more drugs.
War on Terrorism....?

Want to declare war on more "things"?

[edit on 8-9-2004 by cstyle226]

Humm....so...lets just give in to the terrorists demands i guess.....

Lets give them all of the Middle East, which wasn't theirs in the first place, including Kashmir, Jerusalem, and why not, lets give them Andalusia, all of Spain since OBL wants it back together with Italy and France... Lets also all convert to Islam and be ruled under Sharia law.

Sorry buddy, not me, i won't let anyone tell me which religion to follow or to give in to their demands no matter what terrorist acts they commit.
The best defense is always a strong offense.

Also, by some of the post I have read tonight, there are a couple things some people don't seem to understand..... The United States was never alone in the war against terror, I don't know why people are still saying we went at it alone.... there were 33 countries still suporting us last time I checked, and in the war in Afghanistan there were 45? countries supporting us.....

There is another thing I really don't get...... You see by the demonstrations by the Russian people, that "most of their citizens" are backing now their government, including agreeing with attacks at terrorist bases anywhere in the world because they were attacked....and now the world is sympathizing with them....yet, when it happened to the US, more people were killed in the attack on US soil, althou the loss of any civilian is one too many.... after we retaliated with the help of other countries.... half of the world, including many Americans, were and still are bashing the US .....

Is there something i don't see here?....

Now, i don't want to downplay what happened there, it was a terrible ordeal for the Russian people.

---edited to correct spelling mistakes, and I probably have more. It happens when you write late at night without any sleep---

[edit on 11-9-2004 by Muaddib]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join