It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia Could Pre-emptively Strike Terrorist Bases Anywhere

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Lyndon H. LaRouche.

Now there's a man who's word I trust..LOL

****hiding credit cards****

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
this is getting scarey...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

If I were a terrorist, and saw these results..I'd be finding deeper caves. And
stocking up on Beef Jerky.
What you said is not logical..sorry

Let me tell you why it is logical, son. What most people don't seem to be grasping, is the concept that terrorists are not of a finite number.

UNDERSTAND: Anyone could carry out a terrorist attack, with no prior record, and no reason for you to suspect them. They could be next door, and recently angered by some of the worlds events, and plan an attack with a group of like-minded individuals. They could be radicals islamists, fundamentalist christians, ideological jews, anarchists, and anyone else who is losing their mind over the current state of the world.

Your childish assumption that they all "live in caves" is ridiculous. Osama's work is done.

You probably believe Bush when he says, "we are fighting them there, so we don't have to fight them here," which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I have been to the mideast, both as a civilian, and in the uniform, and I will tell you, killing people over there doesn't stop people from coming over here, or people here sympathizing and joining their cause.

What will take for you people to wake up and actually UNDERSTAND what terrorism really is? Our current gov't seems to love using it, as much as, if not more, than the "alleged" terrorists.

So while we bomb and kill tons of people in Afghanistan and Iraq, and capture a couple of top names...more groups will spring up to avenge them, in an even more zealous and radical form. They may not plan as well, but they will try harder and more often.

You just wait until next year, like VP Dick said, "...we'll get hit..."

War on Poverty....more poverty.
War on Drugs.....more drugs.
War on Terrorism....?

Want to declare war on more "things"?

[edit on 8-9-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I agree with the above, with each terrorist attack, and reprisal attack people will want serious payback.

As i saidf on the last page: if it were my kid id want bloody revenge..

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well said Cstyle226!

You have voted cstyle226 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

[edit on 8-9-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yes,

I'd like to declare war on "Those who lack a sense of self-preservation, because it's been overwhelmed with Political Correctness"

Wait, I can't do that. It's already been done! By Islamic Fundementalists..

Also, I am WIDE AWAKE........uh.....dad..

LOL, I never get TWATS votes...I wonder why...

[edit on 8-9-2004 by spacedoubt]

[edit on 8-9-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
"As for launching pre-emptive strikes on terrorist bases, we will carry out all measures to liquidate terrorist bases in any region of the world, General Yuri Baluevsky said, according to Russian news agencies."

"However, this does not mean that we will launch nuclear strikes"

What that means is they won't launch a nuclear strike
unless they decide to launch a nuclear strike. Same
as US. Government power is the coercive force of
government, applied to insure its' continuation.
Pieces of treaty paper, diplomatic rhetoric, public
relations, and so on, are always just secondary
considerations. Vehicles of convenience. To say they
are willing to launch preemptive attacks, is to say they
will attack anyone they perceive to be their enemies,
if they decide to do so. Nothing new about that.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't know why so many people seem to be so worked up over the words pre-emptive strike. If you find a terrorist training camp and they are training/preparing to attack you, your country and relatives, it's seems to be common sense to kill them before they kill you. It's a right to self defend oneself and your own country.

On the other hand it's much easier to get public opinion on your side if you let the enemies (terrrorists) come to your country and let them destroy, maim, and torture hundreds or thousands and then say we must do something. This is the Kerry plan I heard about on the news yesterday. Bush's plan is to strike the terrorists while they are still training before they can pull the trigger. I see Putin and Russia's way of thinking is about the same as Bush. I see Kerry's plan as letting the enemy strike first so that Kerry can get more public support before he attacks. This I believe is an example of why the public is often called a bit slow or not too bright (being politically correct). Using Kerry's way of thinking, I suppose we may have a 9-11 or worse attack before every attack that the US goes into. This would be because public opinion drops quickly after a few months after an attack. The public is apparently very forgetful here in the US too. This is just my two cents opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Solute to Cstyle226 of Wisdom!

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyboy211
Will this finally be the wake up call Russia needs? Who will hear the call of Mother Russia?

Could they nationalise oil and other natural resources to re-finance their society and country? Might we see a better armed and trained Russian military down the line?

Can anyone say that Russia will eventually get back on it's feet and maybe be just as equal as the US, EU, China or Japan economically?

Has Russia named any specific areas they will target, besides Chechnya?

I don't know, if Russia is not doing anything now to help the economy, how will going to war will help its economy gets back on its feet? Russia will need to reform their system from the inside, right now we could say that it is quite rotten. Going to war will cost Russia some money
Russia will not invade countries like we do for economical benifits (Iraq for instance), they want to hunt down terrorists.
What they say will not be what they would do. They will not just knock up some bases in Indonesia for instance just for the sake of hunting terrorists. That country could accuse Russia of invading their land. The process of striking a target in foreign will take more than just flying bombers over there and bomb it.

Another possible target is in Indonesia, that is where terrorist training camps have been established for quite a while now.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
My concern here is with the pre-emptive strike policy and where it could lead. The US may have opened a can of worms when it put it's stamp of approval on this strategy.

Unlike days of old, when covert operations may have been used to bring the bad guys to justice and seek out and destroy their operational facilities, today, thanks to current US policy, it's now considered OK to openly target locations/groups, including entire nations, and strike with military force if the target is perceived as a "threat" to security. It's a dangerous policy in my view, and leaves the door wide open to abuse. It's far too easy to rationalize, or perceive, something or someone as a "threat", when in reality it may or may not be. It makes a mockery of International Law and takes us backward to the times of the Wild, Wild West; except it's played out on a global theater using weapons of mass destruction.

My heart goes out to Russia and the tragedy they just experienced. I would like to see those responsible brought to justice and made to pay for what they've done. If an organization is behind it, then I'd also like to see that organization and it's members/supporters made to pay for their actions. But, if Russia is planning pre-emptive strikes at will around the globe to solve this problem, then how many innocent lives will be lost simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time? And how long will it take before a Russian target offends the US, or China, or England, or France, or whoever? Eventually it will happen. It's only a matter of time.

The problem with all this is, the decision to launch a pre-emptive strike is made by a human being. A human being who is likely thinking, not logically, but emotionally. No matter how high up the ladder you go, many of these decisions are made based upon highly charged emotional responses to a rightly or wrongly perceived threat. And that can spell disaster. Too bad we don't have a superduper computer making these decisions. One that could accurately predict the ultimate outcome and consequences of any action taken, and then make a logical choice. But, unfortunately, we don't. Instead the decisions are often left to a handful of agitated individuals, seething in anger and worked up to a lynch mob mentality. In the end, where it will all lead is just a crap shoot.

Who knows? Next time there may be an atrocity commited in China, and China will take the accepted route to justice and begin launching pre-emptive strikes on the one's it perceives to be a threat to it's security. Now, we all know, their perceived threats and ours are not the same. So now what? It's like the difference between "freedom fighters" and "terrorists"; it just depends on which side of the fence you're on. Let's not forget, it wasn't long ago we supported Saddam Hussein and stocked his bunkers with weapons of mass destruction.

We can all sit back and say things like, "they wouldn't do that" or "The US is too strong. We'd crush them if they did ..." or "They wouldn't dare do anything within our borders", but the fact is we don't know what "they" would or would not do. We had the comfort of gambling on what an enemy might or might not do in times past, but the world has changed and become far too volatile, and the guns we use now are much bigger than before, and there's a lot more at stake now if the gamble is lost.

This is a dangerous game and could easily get out of hand. I don't mean right now, or in regard to this particular situation with Russia. I mean down the road. It's only a matter of time.

This is all, of course, IMHO ...

[edit on 9/8/2004 by netbound]

[edit on 9/8/2004 by netbound]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
By the way, cstyle226, EXCELLENT post!!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
netbound says,

My concern here is with the pre-emptive strike policy and where it could lead. The US may have opened a can of worms when it put it's stamp of approval on this strategy.
Umm excuse me but...like America is the first country to pre-emptivly strike anther country?
What the hell was the German invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939 that started the WWII?
How soon we forget the sneak attack on Dec 7 1941 by Japan against the USA!!!!

I can hear it now...its the REASON that counts...ok
the Japs FEARED American influence in the Pacific, specifically our navy, and felt they would be alot safer/better off it it was eliminated.
Germany feared the rise of communist states in Europe and so started to take over places they thought they could get away with. (promoting their fascism instead)

History is FULL of events where a country attacked another, without the UN's permission (LOL) and without warning....These go way way way back into mans history.
yet we've called this tactic "the Bush doctrine"? (oh yeah...Blame Bush)

I find it highly amusing that the so many in the world say "Bush is an idiot" yet then turns around and gives him credit for comming up with something thats been around for centuries as if he was a genius.

Hmm mabey with our short memories we can now call this "the Putin Plan" as the Russians seem to be positioning to do the same.

Terrorists that murder innocent children that are fleeing by shooting them in the back are a plauge, and i wish Russia and America every luck in finding and wiping them out.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
General Jones optimistic over NATO-Russia cooperation

MOSCOW, September 8 (Itar-Tass) -

Supreme Allied Commander Europe General James Jones said he is optimistic over cooperation between Russia and NATO.

After his meetings in Russia�s Federation Council, upper house of parliament, on Wednesday, General Jones said Russia and NATO have common problems � the fight against terrorism. It is necessary to join efforts to counteract new threats, he said.

On Russia-NATO cooperation, Jones said it is impossible to ensure security in the 21st century without developing partnership with Russia. He stressed the importance of maintaining cooperation with Russia despite certain disagreements between NATO and Russia. It is necessary to work jointly on all problems, primarily on those related to new threats.

Russia is also asking to take part in"Operation Active Endeavour"

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Creepy]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Who makes the determination of which persons and groups are terrorists? What happens when the US or Russia attack, damage, destroy, maim, and kill a target that others disagree was a genuine terrorist target? It's much too convenient a strategy for eliminating your enemies and rivals whether terrorist or not. This development is not surprising. The U.S. asserts a righteous claim to slap the terrorist label on whomever it chooses and proceed against them violently, causing all sorts of collataral damage which it doesn't pay much heed to, apologize or compensate for. It was only a matter of time before Russia jumped on the bandwagon. China's likely waiting in the wings as we write, to be followed by a chorus of others. Thanks, Dubya, for bringing us to the brink of an exciting new era. The world will look different in short order. And for whose stupid short-term short-sighted gains?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzmaster

Originally posted by Flyboy211

Will this finally be the wake up call Russia needs? Who will hear the call of Mother Russia?

Could they nationalise oil and other natural resources to re-finance their society and country? Might we see a better armed and trained Russian military down the line?

Can anyone say that Russia will eventually get back on it's feet and maybe be just as equal as the US, EU, China or Japan economically?

Has Russia named any specific areas they will target, besides Chechnya?

I don't know, if Russia is not doing anything now to help the economy, how will going to war will help its economy gets back on its feet? Russia will need to reform their system from the inside, right now we could say that it is quite rotten. Going to war will cost Russia some money

I never said anything about a war boosting it's economy? I was asking if they could nationalise certain assets and natural resouces to put more money into their country and society. I also noted if down the line we will see a better organised, financed and trained Russian military due to it's announcement on attacking terrorism globally.

Please do not misquote me again.

I agree that the main problem with Russia is it's system, the fact that corruption is rife within Russia. A big cause of ths is the Russia Mafia, they need to be dealt with one way or another. Their influence has spread too far.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'd like to see Russia get on board and help us in this battle. This is not an American war only. This is war that must involve all the freedom loving nations of the world, because none of us are immune to this fanatical movement of savages who have not one ounce of decency about them.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creepy
General Jones optimistic over NATO-Russia cooperation

I am very proud to say that General Jones is a Marine and former Commandant of the Marine Corps.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Umm excuse me but...like America is the first country to pre-emptivly strike anther country? What the hell was the German invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939 that started the WWII?

Germany invaded Czechoslovakia in 1938 (I think, but def not `39). They invaded Poland in Sept 1939 which started the war.

Germany feared the rise of communist states in Europe and so started to take over places they thought they could get away with.

No they didnt. The first country to fall was Austria in 1936. That is because the Austrians where Germanic people too, and voted in a Nazi government with succeeded to Germany. The Czech's where invaded as they possessed previous German regions with ethnic German populations, Poland was the same, and was also due to the policy of creating Liebensraum.

History is FULL of events where a country attacked another, without the UN's permission (LOL) and without warning....These go way way way back into mans history.
yet we've called this tactic "the Bush doctrine"? (oh yeah...Blame Bush)

Since the UN was formed, any agression from one country to another has always resulted in a response from the UN (be it sanctions or military action)... It wasn't until recently when President Bush went to the UN, lied out of his a*se and ignored them when they didnt believe him, that the policy of Pre-emption has risen again. Iraq posed no threat, and was unjustifiably invaded by a coalition of warmongering nations.

It is hardly surprising people from that neck of the woods dont like us...we just can't seem to butt out of their affairs and stop killing their children

(In no way am I condoning the Beslan atrocity or any other, however as a father of a baby girl, i can appreciate the feelings of ANY parent who's child had been killed...and especially during an illegal war, by troops meant to be bringing "freedom")

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'd like to see Russia get on board and help us in this battle. This is not an American war only. This is war that must involve all the freedom loving nations of the world, because none of us are immune to this fanatical movement of savages who have not one ounce of decency about them.

OK, but getting on board and fighting radicals doesn not mean just fighting in Iraq.
It may involve fighting in Georgia, a US ally, like Russia tried to do before.
It has been admitted there are Al-Qaeda and Chechen militants there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join