It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The before sleep voices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I read an interesting post which I felt pertains to many of us even me. Before I go to sleep at night, I can "hear" conversations in my mind that make little or no sense, but seem to be in the voices of people I am fond of, or have been with recently, family, friends, etcetera.

I actually just have forgotton about it at times, and pay it no mind becuase it doesn't freak me out nor does it affect my life in any way. It is Called a few different things like "Ghost Dialogue" or " Subconscious Feedback" There was a thread on it in this Paranormal board back in June, and since I am newish member I thought I would bring the topic up again.

In recent discovery say the past 6-9 months, I have found that my younger sister also has this. They have her on an antipsychotic which is usually given for Schizzophrenia, but the fact of the matter this is not a schizophrenic occurence. It is just what it is, nonsense subconscious conversations, like;

"I went to the store, and bubble monkey turnip butt" LOL

I have always more or less been amused, by them. It has gone on for as long as I can recall, in fact I don't remember a time I didn't have them. Mind you it's not everytime I go to sleep, but it's consistent.

Traditional Schizzophrenia usually the voices tell you to do things, which are often contrary to your nature, like harm someone, yourself etc. Or they also mock, and/or yell at you. Though #e, I can see where Traditional Demonic posession and Schizzophrenia can walk hand in hand. Schizzophrenia however, is not typically just voices, it can also be racing thoughts, hallucinations visually, and delusions of grandeur, skewed perspectives of reality, and a feeling everyone is plotting against you.

Separately, I have also heard the faint music phenomena, and the ringing in the ears from complete silence.

I find this analogous kind of stuff fascinating. Is there anyone who would care to share their thoughts on the matter?

My Thanks,

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Yeah, I get that alot too.. Ive been hearing voices and "conversations" since i was a young child.. Also, i not only have the ringing in my ears, but i can hear an extremely high pitch whine, almost like a dog whistle ( which i can hear very easily)
But the most unusual is when i close my eyes to sleep i see VERY bright flashes of light ... they normally go away after about 5-10 min. Pile all that on top of the fact that i've not sleep more than 3-4 hrs a night since i was 10, and it's a wonder i'm not dead or locked in an asylum..

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I again never really thought about it, but I get those bright flashes while I'm trying to sleep in response to real noises, like a noisy tick from my air conditioner, or a bump from someone moving an object downstairs. It's a quick flash like a camera.

Pretty Damned Cool if you ask me, I've never gotten a high pitched whine though, just like many bells ringing where they overlap, I put it at something like crickets, only much higher pitched and constant. Or maybe like the audiocasette's that used acompany Disney books, where they tell you to turn the page after they read the page for you.

This is exactl the way I was hoping the thread would, funky things we share in Common.

-ADHDsux for me

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I've often heard simply awesome music during the hypnogogic state. Whether it's awesome music or I think it's awesome, I don't know.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb
i not only have the ringing in my ears, but i can hear an extremely high pitch whine, almost like a dog whistle ( which i can hear very easily)

Tinnitus?

www.tinnitus.org.uk...

I've had it since my mid-teens, it came on after I had an ear infection that affected the balance fluids in the ear - I was in bed for 2 weeks, and initially, I couldn't move my head, if I did, my vision would just spin!

It was both frustrating and scary, and I did a lot of throwing-up!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Yep, That's what the whine, and ringing is.

The kooky conversation's are separate.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i also have those bright flashes of light. i just contribute it to my brain and all the activity going on in there before i go to bed.
there's that moment before falling fast asleep where its sort of lucid and dreamlike. i tend to have mini dreams sometimes.
other times i hear sounds or think i hear sounds. when i used to live in a townhouse, i would hear the doorbell every now and then when i was going to sleep. this only happened when i was alone though

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I�ve had the flashes right before falling asleep to. Funny how you forget something like this after it happens. Mine are complemented with knocks tough and scare the hell out of me once in a while. This knocks aren�t the normal ones a house would make but a very different type. It sounds more like when you knock on a door.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I also hear music very cleary in my head either in the morining or before i go to sleep. Its weird, but when i know im hearing this music, it suddenly stops and i want it to start again but it wont.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
if i had tinnitus i would hear high pitched sounds and wake up feeling very dizzy?.....well i only wake up very dizzy is when i sleep for like only 5 or 6 hours.....usually if i take a nap sometime in the day it does away

[edit on 9-9-2004 by CookieMonster000]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
When I am really tired, not sleeping alot, and very stressed- I get the auditory playback thing. Mostly stuff I heard that day, sometimes somthign I heard almost a week before, and it only really gets funky when I hear a playback of channel surfing. Like "Life insurance for your...flea and tick collar... "

[edit on 11/28/04 by anagrohm]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yes, I get this a lot - pretty much every night. Usually I find that the 'speaker/s' share the voice of someone I know - a family member, or a friend, although occasionally it is a voice I don't recognise. It seems often to be just garbled nonsense, but occasionally it makes a little sense. I quite like the experience actually!

I think it's perhaps your mind trying to make sense of experiences - sort of like a sorting process, where thoughts, emotions, experiences etc are found a suitable 'home' within the conscious or unconscious.

I can understand why psychiatrists can confuse these experiences with schizophrenic vioces, and perhaps there is a vague link there somewhere.

I was thinking about the K-PAX book trilogy by Gene Brewer (fantastic read BTW), and how Prot, the main character communicates with hebephrenic schizophrenics (also called disorganised schizophrenia, I think). This type of schizophrenia often involves the patients talking in a garbled, unknown language. Anyhow, Prot amazes the doctors by being able to communicate with these people, by 'simply' learning their language. All this has a point somewhere btw - Perhaps the non-sense aspect of these voices/conversations that occur at night just needs to be made sense of?!?! There must be a logic there somewhere - especially as it seems quite a common phenomenon..

Who knows?!
eye34

Oh yeah almost forgot - When I was a child, and occasionally now I'm all grown up (!) I had/have auditory and visual imagery that seems to relate to physical feelings. Um..it's like the texture/s of the image changes along with the sound/s according to something like the feeling of my teeth on my tongue! I know this all sounds a little bizarre, but I thought I'd drop it in here.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm dragging this thread out of retirement because there have been a few things happening to me lately that are unusual to me. I've been "hearing" snatches of conversations that I don't recognize, nor do I know who is speaking. It is extremely weird. Happens at all times of the day. Hope I'm not going nuts.
It started a few months ago. I have no history of mental illness in my family.

But the main reason why I'm posting on this thread is that something happened to me a few weeks ago that has me really spooked. I was on the verge of sleep when I heard, quite clearly, a raspy voice (it sounded deep, but also sounded like a whisper, so not quite sure about that) say "I love you". The voice seemed right next to my ear. I immediately came completely awake, and sat up and looked around the bedroom. No one was there who shouldn't have been. My husband was asleep next to me - I heard him snoring. My kids were all in their beds, and my two dogs were asleep in the room. No one near to me died recently. I am thoroughly confused about this, and can't stop thinking about it.

Those of you who have seen me on the boards know that I've never ever posted something like this. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lollie

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Lolliek]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

Lolliek,

I've experienced something similar as well.

I'll be in my living room, doing some mindless chore like ironing. And suddenly I can hear.....soemthing.

It's always distorted, almost like a cb radio going out of range. Usually faint, and normally I can't make out the words at all.

When it happens I tend to search the house looking for the source. No radios or television on....no neighbors outside talking....and no explanation.

As for the I love you right before going to sleep....could you have dreamed it? I know that's the standard line....

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I know that's the standard line, but I honestly believe I was awake - just on the verge of going to sleep possibly, but not asleep. Sigh. I guess I'll hear it was my imagination too, but it was so totally out of the blue. I guess that's why it has freaked me out so much. I can still remember the voice. And I don't recognize it.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb
Pile all that on top of the fact that i've not sleep more than 3-4 hrs a night since i was 10, and it's a wonder i'm not dead or locked in an asylum..

Hmmm... Sorry to be the 1 to tell you this, but well... Erm... Ever seen the Truman Show?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Now this may seem crazy but every once in a while as i'm right about to nod off to sleep I hear a sharp screaming-type sound in one ear (depends which side I sleep on).

Its really weird and always freaks me out, it could be just blood rushing around in my ear but its not the best thing late at night!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolliek
reply to post by smyleegrl

I know that's the standard line, but I honestly believe I was awake - just on the verge of going to sleep possibly, but not asleep. Sigh. I guess I'll hear it was my imagination too, but it was so totally out of the blue. I guess that's why it has freaked me out so much. I can still remember the voice. And I don't recognize it.

I've had similar things happen to me too, not quite as what you describe though. Sometimes when I'm just about to fall asleep, you know in that certain state you are that you're somehow still conscious but knowing that you're starting to dream, I've heard conversations and voices, sometimes in my head or even in my room, relatives, family members, and sometimes I even listen or see myself talking to them, It is extremely real.

I would say that it's just your brain kind of like mixing up the reality with your dream state, but it can be pretty weird.

Other thing that happens to me is close to the ringing some of the people describe, but instead of a ringing it's kind of like a very deep and quick sound/feeling that overwhelms my senses, like when you feel that you fall but more concentrated. I really have no idea how to describe it and while it isn't precisely scary, it can be quite disconcerting.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Almost every night when I lay down to sleep and close my eyes, I can hear a woman screaming my name or screaming at me. I don't know the voice and if I concentrate on it, it gets louder and louder and even feels painful if I focus too long.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This used to happen to me a lot but not as much now. It was almost always my mother's voice calling out my name, just as I was falling asleep. I would hear it even when I had moved out of my parents house and there was no way for her to be actually calling for me.

I also continue to dream when I wake up a lot. So I will see bizarre images, like red spider webs on the ceiling, faces in the curtains, women floating above me, men walking through the room. I used to freak out and scream and be terrified but now I can tell the difference and I talk myself down through the fear. What the mind does as we are falling asleep or waking up can seem very realistic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join