A Conspiracy Against the Piano - Unique Hobby

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I thought it might be interesting to show off my website and hobby. Since 1995, I have been making handcrafted computer desks out of old upright pianos. The website is PianoDesk.com and the concept is the destruction of a piano to make way for a computer desk. In all cases, the pianos are shot and worthless apart from the beautiful cabinets.

My favorite desk is one that I made for one of the X-Files Producers back in 2000. He called me one night asking about a desk I had on Ebay. After a half hour or so, he got around to telling me who he was. He purchased the desk from Ebay and then had me completely rebuild it to his specifications. We became pretty good friends and I got to spend 9 days in Hollywood with him. Here is a link to the trip. LINK He was a former child actor and had moved from Fox to Warner Bros. into a new office. I think his move had something to do with an Oscar and Emmy he had recently received. The desk was a trophy case for the awards. That's me on the left.

Another of my favorite projects was turning an old square grand piano harp into a dining room table for my wife.

And then there's the coat racks.

I also build custom bass guitars for various people around the world. My favorite is one I made for a guy in England. He wanted a handle, which posed a unique challenge. All of my projects are documented on the website.

The desk below was built for a guy in Texas. He was having it commissioned for his business manager. The desk was gift to go in the 3 story house he built as the other gift for his manager. He had a room outfitted in tiger oak specifically for the desk. His request was to keep it simple and build it as fast as possible. It took me two weeks.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm not sure if your post will be removed due to some rule about promoting your own webpage and business, but before it does I'd just like to say your work is really great.
I'm sure the folks at Brassgoggles would like to see it as well.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Great work!
Your a genuine craftsman.
I don't supposed 'Flea' from the chilli peppers has asked you for a custom bass?
Seems the sort of thing he might like.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
I'm not sure if your post will be removed due to some rule about promoting your own webpage and business, but before it does I'd just like to say your work is really great.
I'm sure the folks at Brassgoggles would like to see it as well.

I am no longer building for commission. Pretty much building bird houses now.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
reply to post by alfa1

Great work!
Your a genuine craftsman.
I don't supposed 'Flea' from the chilli peppers has asked you for a custom bass?
Seems the sort of thing he might like.

I built one for George Schroeder. I think Steven Evans has it now. Most of my Bass guitars went over seas. I only build one each summer now and keep them for myself. Occasionally, I'll sell one on ebay. You would be surprised at how much they cost in parts. The time is outrageous as well. One bass is nearly 60 hours. A desk is months most of the time. I cannot recoup the money as compared to the effort. I mostly do it for enjoyment when I have time.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Poor pianos. They will never sing again

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
The time is outrageous as well. One bass is nearly 60 hours. A desk is months most of the time. I cannot recoup the money as compared to the effort. I mostly do it for enjoyment when I have time.

Same as me.
I build stuff and people ask why I dont sell them.
The answer is the same as yours - its tens of thousands of dollars in the labour costs.
Right now I'm building an analog synth in a wooden frame. When its finished it will be something resembling a Moog Minimoog (if you want to google that) but more spectacular.
That project, electronics and all, has been going about 6 months now. I'd never recoup that if I sold it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
The time is outrageous as well. One bass is nearly 60 hours. A desk is months most of the time. I cannot recoup the money as compared to the effort. I mostly do it for enjoyment when I have time.

Same as me.
I build stuff and people ask why I dont sell them.
The answer is the same as yours - its tens of thousands of dollars in the labour costs.
Right now I'm building an analog synth in a wooden frame. When its finished it will be something resembling a Moog Minimoog (if you want to google that) but more spectacular.
That project, electronics and all, has been going about 6 months now. I'd never recoup that if I sold it.

I can relate. The last desk I did was my last for sure. It took me 6 months. I just don't have the time that I did when I lived in Illinois. I also don't need the money as much as I did then. It's really hard to let go of the instruments that I build. With limited time, I am mainly doing projects as gifts or family items. I just made a killer walking stick that I plan on using in 40 years. It was a hobby that turned into a business for a few years. Now it's back to being a hobby.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HallamFoe
Poor pianos. They will never sing again

It is sad. Fortunately, I have never taken the life of a piano that was working well. They were all destined for the dump.

top topics

join