It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Pill That Stops Stress In Your Brain Before You Feel It

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yampa

Originally posted by musselwhite

Originally posted by Merci
Oh boy like society isnt drugged up enough with big pharma poison. That is all humans need a pill to become even more emtionally bankrupt.
we have a pill for everything - overdosed america - a pill to sleep, one to stay awake - one pill makes you bigger and one pill makes you small -

thankfully, i have no need of meds - maybe a headache once in a while -

one that reduces prostate cancer, one that gently lowers your stress level, one that stops you going bald. All in one pill, in fact. What will these maniac pharmacologists come up with next??

Pills are not a solution to an oppressive and highly flawed society, but they can help empower individuals to control themselves well enough to overcome the oppression.

Just for the record here.This drug does not decrease cancers in your body.It ,as a side effect shrinks the prostate which in turn gives doctors IF and WHEN they examine it for tumors a better view of it which in turn increases the chance for them to find any potential tumor on there.

You are flowering it up, why may i ask?

Next to that erection problems arise and other sexual problems wich are permanent even after you stop using this drug (amongst other serious symptoms).

I dont have time to dig it up atm but I CAN SOURCE THIS,

edit on 18-12-2011 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by steveknows

1) I sat in three different liquor shops three days a week for one month.
2) I asked my doctor who specializes in livers.............his quote exactly, "Almost all adults drink alcohol whether they admit it or not"
3) I've become a friend of several of our "recycle" truck guys and they say that most if not all, it rare - that there are alcohol bottles by the zillions..................in almost every bin.

I live in a very middle class neighborhood.

Very few if any houses have gone up for sale or foreclosed.

My nighborhood is very working class, we're not even talking Hollywood multimillion dollar drugs and booze - simply the working man - very common 9-5 er.

Any more questions?

I was worried about my liver because I love Merot Red wine - but I am controlled in what I take - my doctor said, you are doing well within the acceptable healthy limits, but many are not.

This doctor is very good, he is sharp, aware and knows the numbers............he said, "almost all adults whether they admit it or not drink alcohol...............the number is astounding.

edit on 18-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

Yous seem offended that I asked questions,

But in your post you put this up:

Pill takers by the numbers

* 61 percent of Americans on antidepressants taking antidepressants for at least two years.

* 34 percent of people with symptoms of severe depression taking antidepressants.

* 23 percent of women ages 40 to 59 taking antidepressants.

* 16 percent of men in the same age group taking antidepressants.

* 14 percent of white Americans taking the pills.

* 3 percent of Mexican-Americans using the medications.

Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data for 2005-08

Source and rest of article

And your response just now seems to be about people drinking. I asked what your measure was in your survey as to why people take antidepressants and,excuse me if I'm wrong, but from what you've just posted in your reply compared to what you posted regarding the drugs it looks as if you're saying that people take antidepressants because they're middle class working drinkers.

There's actual measures for what causes depression and real surveys and that's not even close sorry. People do self medicate with alcohol which has the opposite effect as alcohol is a depressent but you need a much broader range then what you've got. There's so many different factors and counting people at a bottle shop isn't one of them.

Consumption amounts of alcohol can be the result of a bad economy and a booming economy. The amount of alcohol consumed really isn't a measure for counting how many people are depressed and it doesn't in itself cause depression but it will make it worse of you've already developed depression. It is a measure though when dealing with an individual and consumption rates over a time period and the triggers for that consumption.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding you..

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by LordOfArcadia

Stress makes many of us miserable — but it can also kill you.

Which is precisely why they should look at solving the problem at the source instead of drugging people so they can endure it and continue to be productive.

Oh really? It's just that simple?

I Have PTSD.
My Brain formed new neural pathways to deal with a traumatic asituation.
You cannot " deal" with the " problem".

You do not have a clue what you are saying.
I welcome any study that explains ways to block stress.
This could mean being able to lead a happy life for many people.

Don't generalize and pass judgement when you dont know the information needed to make an educated comment.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The ignorance on this thread from some posters is amazing.Some have no idea but post things as fact like they know.

Stress is a natural thing. Depression is not. Stress and depression are two completely different things.

There is: Being depressed, suffering depression, clinical depression.

Being depressed happens to almost every one at some point in their life.

Suffering depression is a longer duration which requires help.

Clinical depression is a long term things which actually causes a change in the nuropathways and leads, if untreated, to physical manifestations of the illness.

PTSD, though a period of depression can be part of the onset, is not depression. Some people suffer PTSD some people suffer PTSD and depression together.

The anti depression medication is not there to cure anything. It's there to relieve the symptoms while the core of the illness is identified.

People who suffer depression or have clinical depression or PTSD aren't just having a bad day or a bad week. There are real mental biological and physical things going wrong which need treatment they can't just snap out of it like you'd snap out of a bad attitiude.

People with PTSD and other anxiety disorders can't control the adrenaline on off switch to their body. Adrenaline starts to poison their body. A person who has at some time had a day or week of depression or a little bit of stress in their life don't grind or clentch their teeth to the point that a Periodontist has to end up doing surgery to straighten what used to be strait teeth or reshape a bite. They don't suffer long term night sweats or constent memory intrusions.

YOU CAN'T JUST SNAP OUT OF IT.

And for those who go on about the meds costing alot and that's why they tell you you need it. It might cost alot in the U.S but it's rather cheap in most other developed countries.

Some people on here make me want to vomit your ignorance is so repugnant.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No I'm not offended at your questions and apologize if I came across that way.

it looks as if you're saying that people take antidepressants because they're middle class working drinkers.

No, I didn't come across correctly then - people in all social and economical levels take antidepressants, not because they're working class drinkers.

Yes you are right about alcohol being a depressant, but many people that won't or can't get a prescription for anti-depressants do use alcohol to numb their anxiety and depression.

Alcohol, according to several doctors I know, is widely used as a anti-depressant - it numbs the emotions for a time, that is what I meant.

Now as far as classifying this as mainly middle class - that is wrong, depression, drinking and taking of anti-depressants cover all social, economical classes.

While I do talk and deal with homeless people about two days a month, I can really only speak for and have the most knowledge of middle class suburbia as that is where I reside and spend most of my time.

That is what I meant.

One can do book research, which I do a lot of. And one can do foot research which I do less of.

One thing I do notice, many people seem to have the impression that the majority of homeless people drink and do drugs a lot.

Now days, many (not all) of the homeless I see and talk to can barely afford to eat much less afford drugs or alcohol.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

And in my own humble opinion, it's easy for people that do not drink or do drugs to be self-righteous.

One thing I've learned in this lifetime is not to judge another because none of us truly know what another person has had to endure and go through.

Certain traumas, certain hardships scar the soul and psyche. Some of us are stronger some of us not as strong.

Some people seem to lead a charmed life where as we really don't totally know what crosses they may be actually carrying.

Don’t judge any man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins. Native American Proverb

Getting back to the main topic..............I myself would not trust a pill that stops stress in the brain before you feel it. Stress, for me anyway indicates that there is something I need to work on, something I need to address.

Things I have found to relieve stress are:

Meditation - GoodSearch (not Google) The Great Bell Chant - Excellent video vimeo.com...
Exercise - (walking, running, something to get your heart pumping)
Watching animals in the wild (having fun or doing cute things not getting eaten)

Watching children having fun
Talking with a close friend
Petting, massaging and talking to my dog
Taking a long hot bath with candles and a small glass of Merlot wine
Chamomile tea...............(although truth be told, it's not as relaxing as the wine).
Doing something for someone else with no agenda, no expectation of getting a payback.

Now, did we come to a understanding, again I am not the smoothest person when it comes to explaining myself so if you want further clarification, please ask.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The ignorance on this thread from some posters is amazing.Some have no idea but post things as fact like they know.

Stress is a natural thing. Depression is not. Stress and depression are two completely different things.

Your entire post here is very right on and yes many of us mix the two up together.

With me, I was orphaned at 9 - From the age of 9 on I lived a life much like Oliver Twist for the next 11 years. By that I mean I personally suffered being physically, mentally and sexually abused after losing my mother and not having a father.

All of a sudden losing my one and only parent created a stress (and depression) that most cannot fathom.

End result, I suffered from both depression and stress for over a decade.

While we were in family counseling, our counselor said coupled with having a abusive childhood I suffer from Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome.

And yes a certain amount of stress is normal, but in spurts - like when you see a lion and have to run.

Continued stress is not normal, like working in a office under a very abusive boss and a group of people that are pitted against each other or having been abused every day as a child. In other words, continued stress is not normal and can either create or add to depression.

I can only give you my own experience - books and research are just that, the research and researchers, many don't have a clue as to what living through such a stressful and depressive state entails and how the two intertwine.

When one has suffered a truly deep loss, particularly at a young age, a real trauma such as the death of a loving mother than goes into a living situation of not being wanted, loved and treated like a thing - plus knowing they can be beaten at any time for having a cranky facial expression - stress is than added onto the depression.

I imagine war veterans can also give us a more intelligent way of explaining this.

Stress and depression yes go together in my opinion.

Not being able to stop where the stress is coming from can create depression.

This would take a hundred pages to describe and I don't know if I could adequately describe how the two are interconnected.

But yes, I believe long term stress can create depression if you can't figure a way out of it.

One example - A person that has to endure a 8 hour job under a very abusive boss. Jobs are hard to come by now days here in America.

A soldier having to actually kill another human and live every moment for months on end in fear of their own death.

A person being abused long term, children and animals.

Prolonged stress does, in my mind create a depression and once the brain has a imprint that imprint doesn't magically go away. Yes it can be controlled, it can be made lessen but real long term abuse and stress - sorry I really believe they go together like butter and toast and don't ever truly go away.

A pill that stops stress in your brain before you feel it?

A zombie pill?

The research I did (my foot research) was mainly with family and friends because the homeless I do talk to are reluctant to talk about personal things so I again, I only have my middle class foot research to bring to the table.

edit on 19-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Which is precisely why they should look at solving the problem at the source instead of drugging people so they can endure it and continue to be productive

I think my friend Nuclear Paul said the above.............any who, truer words were never spoken.

Stress, depression - we are not living the way we are suppose to be living.

If we were than why are so many people taking prescribed medications for stress and depression?????

We all know we've let the ball down. We've allowed the psychopaths to rule the planet for far too long.

With each year our freedoms are diminishing, our "production rate" is being increased, while our pay rate is decreased, jobs are hard to find, good ones almost impossible, everything is going up in cost, we can't afford to stay home and raise our young correctly, the justice system sucks, and the world is degenerating day by day.

The madness, the hate, the war, the greediness of the 1% to have 3/4 of everything leaving 1/4 for the rest of us to fight over must stop, destroying our beautiful planet and her inhabitants must stop - mankind must grow up and people that are under the most stress and depressed are the more sensitive ones that realize what I am saying is true.

A pill that stops stress in your brain before you feel it.....................like the Stepford Wives, a bunch of robots is what TPTB want.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Again, grand assumptions as we are NOT talking about any of those drugs.
Unless of-course you have somehow already acquired a list of side-effects for this theoretical drug? Why don't you post said list hmmm?

That's what I thought....

Grand. Assumptions.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Ashertron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_

Just for the record here.This drug does not decrease cancers in your body.It ,as a side effect shrinks the prostate which in turn gives doctors IF and WHEN they examine it for tumors a better view of it which in turn increases the chance for them to find any potential tumor on there.

You are flowering it up, why may i ask?

Next to that erection problems arise and other sexual problems wich are permanent even after you stop using this drug (amongst other serious symptoms).

You are wrong about the cancer study. Please explain how a *rise* in cancer detection could lead to a fall in reported rates of cancer? You understand how numbers work, right?

The Wikipedia article about finasteride and cancer is in relation to an initial study which found a 25% drop in prostate cancers, but a small rise in serious, aggressive prostate cancers. According to that wikipedia article, after a follow up study, it was found that the rise in aggressive cancers was due to easier detection, and the overall figure for the decrease in prostate cancers vs normal was given a greater figure of 30%. Again, please read these things properly. This isn't a game - drugs like these can genuinely help some people.

And I'm not flowering anything up - it says clearly in the side-effects literature that you might get a limp dick from taking finasteride. That is a known risk. However, if you are still alive after not getting cancer, are less stressed than you were before, can pee properly and have regrown your hair, then you probably stand a much greater chance of getting to use it properly.

Originally posted by Ashertron

Unless of-course you have somehow already acquired a list of side-effects for this theoretical drug?

No, this is not a theoretical drug. Finasteride has been on the market for decades. But you are right that it is not at all similar to those other drugs used as anti-depressants.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yampa

Unless of-course you have somehow already acquired a list of side-effects for this theoretical drug?

No, this is not a theoretical drug. Finasteride has been on the market for decades. But you are right that it is not at all similar to those other drugs used as anti-depressants.

Wait, did I miss something? The original article posted by OP says they JUST discovered how to block the receptors so what was the "discovery" exactly if it's "been on the market for decades already"? Are u saying that I can already get this wonderful drug??

What I was referring to is the specific medication that will result from the study/discovery OP posted, not whatever active ingredient that's been around awhile used in said medication.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I'm very sorry for you ragarding your childhood. No child should have to suffer that.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Yes we have come to an understanding.
It's good that you talk to homeless people. Is that part of your occupation?

I've done many things. Soldier and professional fireman are two of the main ones. And because of personal experience I do know alot about this subject . Now I work with youths. Some from sad backgrounds with real issues.

When you said you talk to homeless people the song " What it's like" jumped right into my head

. What alot of people don't understand is that most who are homeless people are homeless because of mental health issues and as you say no one knows their trauma. No one knows what got them there.

Medication is affordable to anyone in Australia and homeless people get it for free if they need it but the ones who it is hard to get it to is the homless. Not because of a fault in the system or other lack of access but because they're homeless and getting help for their particular illness which ever it may be isn't usually top of their list of things to do and it's a heart breaker

I've seen with my very eyes the success stories of people who have allowed the system to help them and these posts I see on here about mind control is rubbish.

edit on 20-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

What I was referring to is the specific medication that will result from the study/discovery OP posted, not whatever active ingredient that's been around awhile used in said medication.

Finasteride was used to lower the neurohormone transmission in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in mice. There will unlikely be any drug of greater complexity as a result of this study. It's just a study. It has nothing to do with drug development. The thing to pay attention to is the fact there is an existing drug on the market which will already drop stress levels in a novel way (for men, anyway).

There are already other 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor drugs on the market, like dutasteride, which have more powerful effects than finasteride:
en.wikipedia.org...

I quote, again:

"blocking neurosteroidogenesis with finasteride is sufficient to block the stress-induced elevations in corticosterone and prevent stress-induced anxiety-like behaviors in mice"

The paper:
www.jneurosci.org...

The drug:
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 20-12-2011 by yampa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

No, I volunteer two days a month at a homeless shelter. Will be spending Christmas afternoon and night there vs my husband's family's elaborate party.......would prefer being with people who don't air blow kisses, mean what they say and say what they mean.

They are very nice people, but I feel more comfortable at the shelter.

AND TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD

And as far as mind control..............I've researched this one subject for decades. Yes it exists and is possible, the human brain is a organic computer of sorts, the most complicated kind we know of as of yet.

Keep a open mind, and simply keep researching on this subject.

Garbage in, garbage out and with some people, a serious enough trauma, early on in life can, if they don't have a strong enough center based psyche can be "infuenced".

Mind control isn't nonsense, really research this deeply and you might be very surprised.

Anyway have to sign off the squirrels are knocking at my back aluminum door for more Squirola......yes they actually knock at my back door to let me know when the feeder is empty............how smart is that.

This is the one who scampers to the deck rail once he/she has knocked at the door, little cheeky thing.

edit on 20-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Holy sh1t! That is one FAT squirrel. Are you to blame for this?

edit on 20-12-2011 by Ashertron because: Evading daycare filter

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashertron

I think the squirrel is pregnant.........honestly I do. In the beginning about 3 months ago they were thin. There are about 8-9 of them right around us.

The cheeky one pictured actually comes to my back door and knocks three times on the aluminum and than scampers to the deck rail right across from the door..............now how can one refuse such a cute little furry rat?

When I come outside with my dog and start talking to her, they come out...........they think I'm the food Goddess.

They also will come up to the fence or chatter to me from their tree.....like thanking me.

You do notice she is smiling at me.

edit on 20-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I wouldn't be able to resist the cuteness either. Bless you for your compassion for animals.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
I'm the food Goddess.

They also will come up to the fence or chatter to me from their tree.....like thanking me.

I'm glad this thread about a real piece of science (and a real, commonly available anti-stress drug) hasn't been derailed or anything.. But since we've gone there:

An very urban grey squirrel which also knocks on the windows, doesn't mind being hand-fed and comes in the house most days.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Too many pills for too many people. For stress, try throwing a Babs Streisand collection in the CD player when you feel stress coming on... Don't knock it til you've tried it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join