It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Pill That Stops Stress In Your Brain Before You Feel It

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite

Originally posted by Merci
Oh boy like society isnt drugged up enough with big pharma poison. That is all humans need a pill to become even more emtionally bankrupt.
we have a pill for everything - overdosed america - a pill to sleep, one to stay awake - one pill makes you bigger and one pill makes you small -

thankfully, i have no need of meds - maybe a headache once in a while -

one that reduces prostate cancer, one that gently lowers your stress level, one that stops you going bald. All in one pill, in fact. What will these maniac pharmacologists come up with next??

Pills are not a solution to an oppressive and highly flawed society, but they can help empower individuals to control themselves well enough to overcome the oppression.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

This is not a good idea at all if you ask me.... its like they are saying 'people say they are stressed and need time to heal themselves.... take time off work... etc etc..... well, if we come up with some type of pill that could tell the brain to continue and that stress does not exist then they have no excuse not to work... he! he! he! he!'

Can you hear the Evil laugh?

I am against this for sure.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is not a good idea at all if you ask me.... its like they are saying 'people say they are stressed and need time to heal themselves.... take time off work... etc etc..... well, if we come up with some type of pill that could tell the brain to continue and that stress does not exist then they have no excuse not to work... he! he! he! he!'

Can you hear the Evil laugh?

I am against this for sure.

Who is saying that? The journalist who wrote the story about the scientific paper? Why are you listening to what the journalist is saying? The paper is just observing the effect of a neurohormone - this paper *teaches* you something about how you function as human.

It has nothing to do with drug development - because the drug is already developed. This is a fairly unalarming experiment using a drug that has been on the market for decades.

What I don't understand is how many people here seem to think it's natural to be stressed? It really does not have to be that way.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Well Libertarianists and liberal capitalists. What are you going to do about this? Does the constitution say anything about this? Oh yes it does. We are all free. Ok end of discussion, .. right?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by yampa

i see you point; however, i am convinced that nature provides all - i do not believe anything "chemical" is good for the body unless it is naturally occurring in nature -

i once took a med that helped my heart have a regular beat and control the premature misfiring in the ventricular - all caused from stress - i took this med for 2 years - when i realized i was no longer stressed or had been given a place to heal for those 2 years i stopped the medication -

i am not saying all big pharma drugs do not help in some way - but the people in this country takes pills like candy - and the side affects are worse than the pill -

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by yampa

I don't think most people realize how much of the stress in their lives in unnatural. Most of it is unnecessary and unavoidable and I think the constant stress is actual part of the Obesity epidemic in our country.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by yampa

I don't think most people realize how much of the stress in their lives in unnatural. Most of it is unnecessary and unavoidable and I think the constant stress is actual part of the Obesity epidemic in our country.
i must disagree with your statement that stress is unnatural - stress is a very good indicator in one's well being -

According to health providers and professionals, whatever the reaction to a stressful situation is, it should be known that stress in small amounts is natural and healthy; however, stress in large amounts and stress that causes one to take on harmful coping mechanisms is not.

Just as stressors have the potential to cause physiological changes in the body, they also have the ability to affect behavior, attitudes and mood. As stress builds within an individual, stressful thoughts have the potential to become automatic, often replacing positive thoughts. When this happens, a glass that was half-full becomes half-empty. Princell explains that when this occurs a person has the potential to become trapped in what is called a “negative stress cycle.” In a negative stress cycle, attitudes, beliefs and assumptions turn to negative moods and emotions. Princell noted that the symptoms of clinical depression and the symptoms of chronic stress are quite similar.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by yampa

i must disagree with your statement that stress is unnatural - stress is a very good indicator in one's well being -

According to health providers and professionals, whatever the reaction to a stressful situation is, it should be known that stress in small amounts is natural and healthy; however, stress in large amounts and stress that causes one to take on harmful coping mechanisms is not.

Just as stressors have the potential to cause physiological changes in the body, they also have the ability to affect behavior, attitudes and mood. As stress builds within an individual, stressful thoughts have the potential to become automatic, often replacing positive thoughts. When this happens, a glass that was half-full becomes half-empty. Princell explains that when this occurs a person has the potential to become trapped in what is called a “negative stress cycle.” In a negative stress cycle, attitudes, beliefs and assumptions turn to negative moods and emotions. Princell noted that the symptoms of clinical depression and the symptoms of chronic stress are quite similar.

Notice I said "How much of the stress in our lives is unnatural". Even your article points out that large amounts of stress are unhealthy. Certain stressors are unavoidable in the society we live in. You could of course make a less stressful one but 90% of the people on this site would complain it was "Marxist" or something.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

i stand corrected - i would like to point out today - in this world today - we have so many stressful situations closing in on each and everyone - i also would like to point out those living here in the u.s. became complacent a very long time ago and hence we are living the hell we made -

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

There is a completely natural substance, a weed as a matter of fact that cannot be named here on ATS (God doesn't this sound like Harry Potter, He who must not be named kind of thing?)

Easy to grow, natural and if memory serves me correctly really relieves stress.

However, it is illegal in the US because the government is making too much off it being kept black market.

But we can't talk about this now can we?

We can toot Big Pharma's new wonder drugs however.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

There is a completely natural substance, a weed as a matter of fact that cannot be named here on ATS (God doesn't this sound like Harry Potter, He who must not be named kind of thing?)

Easy to grow, natural and if memory serves me correctly really relieves stress.

However, it is illegal in the US because the government is making too much off it being kept black market.

But we can't talk about this now can we?

We can toot Big Pharma's new wonder drugs however.
o my my - yes, i do believe i've heard of that naturally growing weed - it is a weed isn't it? not quite sure though - but i do recall back in the late 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and of course the present about this miracle herb -

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I did my own survey of people I know. The people I asked all had or have full time jobs (ones that didn't were laid off or outsourced not due to misconduct). All the people I asked, I knew and quite a few surprised me......they are middle to upper middle class, mostly professional, mostly college educated.

Of the 55 people I asked, 20 admitted to being on some form of antidepressant and another 3 - I suspect are but will not admit it.

However here are the stats because ATSers always want stats.

Pill takers by the numbers

* 61 percent of Americans on antidepressants taking antidepressants for at least two years.

* 34 percent of people with symptoms of severe depression taking antidepressants.

* 23 percent of women ages 40 to 59 taking antidepressants.

* 16 percent of men in the same age group taking antidepressants.

* 14 percent of white Americans taking the pills.

* 3 percent of Mexican-Americans using the medications.

Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data for 2005-08

Source and rest of article here: www.standard.net...

Also, that is not counting the number of people who drink daily.

Go to any liquor shop, park your car and count how many people go in and out in any 30 minute period, any day of the week - choose to do this two, three, four different times......................alcohol is also self medication for anxiety.

A nice glass of Merlot wine and a hot bath with a few lavender leaves is pure heaven.

edit on 18-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

reply to post by antonia

i stand corrected - i would like to point out today - in this world today - we have so many stressful situations closing in on each and everyone - i also would like to point out those living here in the u.s. became complacent a very long time ago and hence we are living the hell we made -

Well, our system of being is the real problem. I think it's addressed quite well in Zeitgeist: moving forward and good solutions are presented. Until the day we live in an equitable society I think we can do no better than find ways to cope with crap.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by yampa

Originally posted by swoopaloop
I would just like to let everyone (especially the mods) know that this Pill is not made yet, therefore it is considered an "Illegal Drug" since it has not been approved. Therefore anyone on this forum talking about it should have their post removed for talking about illegal drugs.

Tens of millions of people have been taking this drug for decades. Pay attention.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Finasteride (Proscar and Propecia (Merck), as well as generic names) is a synthetic 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, an inhibitor of the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Finasteride is approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and male pattern baldness (MPB)."

This is not an anti depressant. It does not have major effects on your mind. Please stop all the whining about mind-control if you aren't even going to read the OPs link properly.

lmao stfu I can do whatever I want and there's nothing you can do about it.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

What was the controls and measures you used for your survey?

Such as:

Affordability,occupations,family history,attitudes and support networks,accessibility. etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

How can you discuss the OP without taking into account attitudes and ideas about "Big Pharma"? Part and parcel.

As with everything, it's about who uses what when and why. Is that knife for cooking or killing?
edit on 18-12-2011 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
reply to post by Rafe_

As with everything, it's about who uses what when and why. Is that knife for cooking or killing?
absolutely right - i forgot all about intent and motivation - i'm all for coping best way i know how - work, any kind of work especially physical labor - seems to cure my depression -

if i am unable to think i just start doing some job or project i can just flip a switch and put one foot in front of the other -

there are so many angels - shouldn't be - should be simple and i for one believe it is simple -

thanks for letting me rant a little -

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

1) I sat in three different liquor shops three days a week for one month.
2) I asked my doctor who specializes in livers.............his quote exactly, "Almost all adults drink alcohol whether they admit it or not"
3) I've become a friend of several of our "recycle" truck guys and they say that most if not all, it rare - that there are alcohol bottles by the zillions..................in almost every bin.

I live in a very middle class neighborhood.

Very few if any houses have gone up for sale or foreclosed.

My nighborhood is very working class, we're not even talking Hollywood multimillion dollar drugs and booze - simply the working man - very common 9-5 er.

Any more questions?

I was worried about my liver because I love Merot Red wine - but I am controlled in what I take - my doctor said, you are doing well within the acceptable healthy limits, but many are not.

This doctor is very good, he is sharp, aware and knows the numbers............he said, "almost all adults whether they admit it or not drink alcohol...............the number is astounding.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
reply to post by Rafe_

How can you discuss the OP without taking into account attitudes and ideas about "Big Pharma"? Part and parcel.

Im sorry but what?

I think i was one that in particular took those in acount.Maybe you like to add a quote to that for context.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join