It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Pill That Stops Stress In Your Brain Before You Feel It

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Which 'developments like these' are you talking about? Millions of people are already taking this drug. If this drug has an effect on stress hormones, then it is a mild one because there are no reports of people wandering around as if they are zapped out their minds on prozac or valium. It's just a completely different thing.

Just because the OP writes something about chemicals with emotional effects, does not mean he is suggesting you buy whatever junk profit-driven big-pharma is currently marketing. You should be able to choose these drugs based on your understanding of their mechanism, not based by some simplified binary like "natural good/technology bad".

The same case can be made here for beta blockers like propranolol - these drugs lower the physiological effects of anxiety on the body, but they have very little effect on your cognition.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

Untrue, I say. Without stress, there is no fear. You simply do things.

Not sure if you've ever existed without stress. I have at times. All it does is make me more able to do what is right in an honorable way. In fact, in a more intelligent way.

Think about it. Without stress, fear, anger, or anything else, you won't have violent outbursts. You will carefully and calculatingly take down your enemies in a civilized manner. Because you have no stress, your speech becomes clear, you're focus straight. Your ability to do what is good and true flawless.

Quite simply, when you take the brute out of the man, you make every man a Tesla mixed with James Bond.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
As nice as this sounds, I learned in my psych classes that humans need stress in their every day life. Not as much as to make you miserable or kill you, but it does play a helpful/beneficial role in our lives.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I would just like to let everyone (especially the mods) know that this Pill is not made yet, therefore it is considered an "Illegal Drug" since it has not been approved. Therefore anyone on this forum talking about it should have their post removed for talking about illegal drugs.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
She goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper. Seriously, does pharma ever really help anyone? They promise the moon and stars and what you get is a band-aid on a bullet wound. No big conspiracy here, it's called capitalism. It's all about the Hamilton's Baby! Hair loss , erectile dysfunction. depression... No cures, just clever marketing. My mom's best friend died from one of their clever marketing schemes. It took a hundred or more deaths to get it taken off the shelves.
edit on 17-12-2011 by kazanoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

I have to disagree. I suffer from PTSD. The medication I take to help me cope greatly improves my life. I can still get angry and stessed; but it keeps it at a managible level and allows me to sleep through the night. The funny thing is, it was not designed for PTSD. It's a blood pressure medicine. It was discovered that it works for PTSD by interferring with the production of adrenaline. I take it at night, easily get to sleep, sleep sound with no nightmares. It wears off by the morning. Would I take it in a war zone? Hell no.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a lot of people replying on here about how against pharmaceutical drugs they are have probably never suffered with severe stress or anxiety, and as much as i am against these drugs too, i have suffered with extreme physically debilitating anxiety that can last for months at a time, for over 15 years on and off, some of my symptoms are, tremors, tingling hands and feet, nausea, double vision, weakness of the legs to the point where i cant stand up, constant worry and fear of crowded areas, and fear of panic attacks. and their are plenty more symptoms. at times these drugs have helped me. i never take the long term drugs doctors give me caus i hate to take drugs anyway, but the short, quick acting drugs i will take when i need them. people always tell me to just relax and take deep breaths or try and think of something else, trust me, if it was that easy i would have been doing that. i have tried almost every natural remedy under the sun, until someone has something that really works and are not harmful to you in any way, i have to take my chances with the pharmaceutical drugs when needed.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hundredreas0ns

I'll reiterate, a band-aid on a bullet wound. That's all they want. they don't want you to get to the root of the problem. And I empathize with you. I suffered panic attacks nearly everyday for two years. Imagine having a heart attack everyday for two years, that's what it felt like. I tried pharma and self medication (alcohol). There's only one cure, get to the root of the problem and that can be pretty damn scary.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kazanoom

i hear you my friend, my doctor even said, he can give me medication, but that will only mask the problem, not cure the root problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hundredreas0ns

Stay strong brother, if I can do it anyone can ha!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordOfArcadia

This kind of technology can have many beneficial uses but it also has the ability to be utilized for very nefarious purposes. Imagine a world in which illuminated groups have begun the systematic enslavement of mankind, this is the exact type of drug needed to keep the plebes functional yet passive.

Stress is an important tool in our evolutionary tool box.

io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-12-2011 by LordOfArcadia because: (no reason given)

Well, people have woken up to Fluoride pacification, woken up to extreme media bias, i suppose a 'brave new world' style of a permanently drugged up population was on the cards.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kazanoom

so how did you get over it, my fear is dying, or at least dying in a horrible way, heart attack, stroke that kinda thing. how do you overcome such a thing, caus were all gonna die wether we like it or not and i accept that, just dont like the idea of dying in some horrible way.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

Back in the 80's they made a movie called THX. Its all about the future of people and mind control. Thing is that everyone took pills every 6 cycles. They had a pill for everything. And it was manditory to have to take all the pills. if you were found not to be taking the pills you would be sent to "Re-education centers". The #1 pill everyone took was called soma. it was the happy pill. You would be happy, and stoned and well CONTROLED.
Kinda like what would happen if TPTB made it manditory that every slave on the planet er..citizen. Were to take a 10 mg of valium everyday day. You would have happy people, and they would be controled.

You look around and just about every kind of pill is being pushed on TV, the net, newspapers.
Every notice just how many bad side effects they have?

So they got a new pill that stops stress. But they won't tell ya all the nasty side effects it really has until 10 years down the road.

Pills are the easy way for the overlords to keep the cattle under control..
To make them big fatty and juicy...

Enjoy your stress pills.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Medication is not supposed to cure a mental health issue and that's not why they're perscribed. medication is taken to relieve the symptoms while the core issue is discovered and dealt with. Sometimes the issue is discovered other times it's not. Sometimes it's fixed or a plan for coping with it is developed and sometimes it will be there and have negative effects for a lifetime.

The people who claim that the medication is a big bunk or some kind of plan to control people have no idea.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
what would Bethoven's music sound like if he had no stress in his life? What if african americans werent stresses about being slaves before freedom? What would Edgar Allen poe's poems sound like? Would Edwards Muunch have painted "The Scream"? Stress is apart of the human experience.

What if YOU werent stresses about big pharma robbing you of your human emotions?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This could be a good long-term drug for individuals who have not had success using the standard drugs available today for anxiety disorders. Benzodiazpasms(sp?) are great at pumping GABA into the brain to calm it down, but generally are not considered safe for long-term use due to the increasing severity of the side-affects and they have a high chance of becoming addicting with withdrawls lasting from 2 weeks, to 2 years, and in extreme cases the withdrawls kill.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by usnkriete
As nice as this sounds, I learned in my psych classes that humans need stress in their every day life. Not as much as to make you miserable or kill you, but it does play a helpful/beneficial role in our lives.

Which psychology class did you learn that in? I think you are mistaking a psychology class for gym class or something.

There is no evidence that humans *need* stress aside from in fight or flight situations where it helps motivate the body. Feeling anxious, tense, full of dread, incapable to cope in your day to day life is overwhelmingly harmful imo.

Originally posted by Foxy1
what would Bethoven's music sound like if he had no stress in his life? What if african americans werent stresses about being slaves before freedom? What would Edgar Allen poe's poems sound like? Would Edwards Muunch have painted "The Scream"? Stress is apart of the human experience.

What if YOU werent stresses about big pharma robbing you of your human emotions?

I think this is nonsense, and that part about 'slaves needed Westerners to capture and torture them for hundreds of years so they could rise above it' is disturbing and confused. In fact, your post reads like a typical 20th century nihilist, fascist romantic rant about the magic of human suffering.

Most of that 'suffering is good for you' dialogue in the current Western world is manufactured by industries just like big-pharma, who know full well that if people are stressed they will behave like domesticated animals and won't resist the fact that they are being enslaved and tortured (until they snap, that is).
edit on 18-12-2011 by yampa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by swoopaloop
I would just like to let everyone (especially the mods) know that this Pill is not made yet, therefore it is considered an "Illegal Drug" since it has not been approved. Therefore anyone on this forum talking about it should have their post removed for talking about illegal drugs.

Tens of millions of people have been taking this drug for decades. Pay attention.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Finasteride (Proscar and Propecia (Merck), as well as generic names) is a synthetic 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, an inhibitor of the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Finasteride is approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and male pattern baldness (MPB)."

This is not an anti depressant. It does not have major effects on your mind. Please stop all the whining about mind-control if you aren't even going to read the OPs link properly.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merci
Oh boy like society isnt drugged up enough with big pharma poison. That is all humans need a pill to become even more emtionally bankrupt.
we have a pill for everything - overdosed america - a pill to sleep, one to stay awake - one pill makes you bigger and one pill makes you small -

thankfully, i have no need of meds - maybe a headache once in a while -

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join