It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two deaths from brain-eating amoeba linked to sinus remedy for colds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

A sinus-flushing device used to relieve colds and allergies has been linked to a deadly brain-eating amoeba. Louisiana's state health department issued a warning about neti pots - which look like mini watering cans, that are used by pouring salty water through one nostril. It follows two recent deaths - a 51-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man from the 'brain-eating amoeba' Naegleria fowleri. It is thought the amoeba entered their brains when they used the devices.

Damn son. I thought side effects from drugs were bad, now this. It appears the people were using tap water, instead of distilled water. So if you use a neti pot, pay attention. The couple bucks for distilled water is going to be worth avoiding brain eating amoebas. Yikes.

Link

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm confused. Was it in the tap water or the pot? Or did "it" only exist once the two mixed?. The FDA is doing a really horrible job either way.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

I believe in the tap water, and the pot introduced it into the brain. So both. Either way, yikes.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yup from the water, sad to see, gonna make sure water is boiled atleast
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-12-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Neti Pot Users: BEWARE!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   
reply to post by Reptius

It's from the water they are using, it tells you to only use distilled water on the package. It's happened here sometime in August there were a few victims, I have a Neti Pot I've never used and I'm kinda glad!

It is an amoeba that lives in the tap water, only boiling it will work to get rid of it, it also lives in rivers or lakes, places where it can breed.

I think there is a thread for this. I saw something earlier today ...... I think......

link   
Perhaps it's just me here, but I've never heard of this before. I'm thinking after hearing how it can go wrong that perhaps running anything but air through my sinuses isn't such a good idea. I suppose it makes sense that the natural defenses there are for airborne pollutants, not solid/liquid..so this by passes 250,000 years of evolution in one shot. Hmm... Yeah, I think I'll stick to the chicken noodle soup and lots of rest. Exotic cold remedies don't strike me as worth dying for. Yikes.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I believe these cases were in Louisiana. Down here in the south, especially during times of drought and heat, that nasty amoeba lives in the water. A few kids have died in Texas over the past year from swimming in warm ponds and getting the water up their nose. I'm surprised it is in the municipal water supply, though.

I used to use neti pots and sinus rinses on the advice of my allergist, until I got a horrific sinus infection from it. A better solution is to use bottles of saline spray, available in stores by the nose sprays. Easier still, take a hot shower.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So theoretically if I laugh and tap water goes out my noes I could be introducing amoebas that will om nom nom my brain? How about swimming in a lake? Freakin amoebas.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
add to existing thread here

new topics

top topics

join