It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prep for Facebook's Timeline Layout: 6 Must-Do Privacy Tweaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm sure we're all aware of Facebook and it's issues with privacy control..For those who don't, Facebook is starting it's new timeline layout, which will provide information to all individuals whom you allow, to access your Facebook activity in reverse chronological order going back to when you first joined the social network.

Might be a good time to consider deleting an account...

Source

Get ready for your Facebook past to come back with a vengeance; the social network is now rolling out its new profile layout, Timeline, to all users worldwide. Timeline is basically an online scrapbook that displays your Facebook activity in reverse chronological order going back to when you first joined the social network.

This means you and your Facebook friends will be able to peruse your social networking history with just a few clicks. Previously, there was no practical way to view your older activity on Facebook.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, had no idea about it... just posted this on my fb profile, hope it helps someone.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I agree with the Op. Time to delete that account.
Facebook is not about privacy. Plain and simple and it's been proven time and time again.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Yeah, but I have many friends/family I talk to via facebook that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.. (i hate talking on the phone)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What? You promised 6 privacy tweaks where are they?

I don't want to delete my account but there has to be something else to do as your title implied!

Never mind it's in the article duh!!

edit on 16-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Is there really no other site to talk to distant friends and relatives?
If this is the case, Facebook is running a monopoly and someone needs to start another site to give them a run for their money. It should be started by someone who has no interest in meeting with the Potus, too.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Is there really no other site to talk to distant friends and relatives?
If this is the case, Facebook is running a monopoly and someone needs to start another site to give them a run for their money. It should be started by someone who has no interest in meeting with the Potus, too.

There are other sites, however nobody I know (maybe a few) use them.. I can't even get anyone to 'follow me' on twitter, which is one of the most popular sites in the world right now.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
What? You promised 6 privacy tweaks where are they?

I don't want to delete my account but there has to be something else to do as your title implied!

Never mind it's in the article duh!!

edit on 16-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

Yup delete it...I seen the new timeline layout being offered, it was after I logged out.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

LOL I love twitter, I have a FB account but barely use it, Twitter I use all the time, it's great for connecting with people, and sharing information!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

If there are other sites, then you need to start using them and letting your friends and relatives know about those sites. You need to be specific and voice your concerns about Facebook and why you don't want to use it anymore. Since twitter is only short phrases and your relatives want to see your latest photos, I can understand why it's not taking off for you. Until people take a stand and begin leaving Facebook, it will continue to abuse its users' privacy without hesitation.

link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

True, but it is also being monitored.

link   
delete please
edit on 16-12-2011 by ReadyPower because: delete please

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

K done! and I know it's being monitored but I'm not posting anything that'll be considered a threat to National Security!

Everything we do on the net these days is being monitored!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This is what will make me not want to be on FB.

I keep my page at the most private it can be. I post but it's mostly random ATS stuff or things of interest. I dont post personal stuff on there....

THIS timeline is going to be like a smack in the face to many. I already have a few friends dreading it because of what they went thru in previous years personally. WHO wants that thrown in their face again? I sure as heck dont.

I also dont want it shoved in my fiancees face!

I HATE this timeline. I wish you could opt out of it. If I wanted a damn scrapbook of my life I'd make one and post it! I didnt ask for FB to do it! GRRR!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Oh, I understand the abortion debate!
Life begins at FACEBOOK. Ok.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Really? What kind of idiot thinks that social media is about privacy anyway? You are posting stuff about "what you are doing / what is going on" right now. That's not privacy, that's attention whoring.

Facebook isn't about privacy, its about sharing. If you want privacy, don't post anything, or buy a diary.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think there will be an option to opt this thing out. I can understand Facebook as this is really not a bad idea whatsoever. Just give guys like us a little privacy illusion and it will be okay.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I thought you had to opt in for timeline?

I see a few of my friends have it but I havent allowed it on my profile..?
theres a thing you have to sign up for i believe, to get it,.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

My thoughts exactly and I couldn't have stated it better myself.

We already know that Facebook and Twitter are highly monitored, yet people continue to use them. I guess it's like cigarettes. As soon as you become addicted, it's hard to put them down. This is what they depend upon. I know many won't agree with me, but I also feel this way about posting photos of yourself on ATS. The technology the government has is frightening. If you psot something on here that they don't like, all they have to do is see if you posted your photo on one of the photo threads. This just makes their job so much easier.

new topics

top topics

join