It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could someone please explain the idea of Ron Paul to me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'll first start off by explaining myself in that I do not know very much about politics nor do I follow it.

I've been seeing more and more support for Ron Paul lately. I mean a lot, and especially from young people. My first thought was that maybe this was some kind of political fad; people just liking him because it was maybe "cool". I don't really think that is the case, however.

I remember that he ran in 2008 as a Republican, I believe and I think his goal was to return America to the state of the original constitution (correct me if I am wrong). Obviously, he didn't win.

So, my question is: What is all the love towards Ron Paul about? What party is he for now and what does he stand for?

I know I could probably simply google this but I'd like to hear some personal opinions.

P.S. I have nothing agains him nor am I calling him out on anything. I just really am interested and would like to know a bit more about him.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don't follow politics much either. Mostly due
to being involved years ago and very disappointed.
With that said I am hearing a lot about Ron Paul as
well and would like to know more about him and what
he stands for. I did hear he did not want another
useless war and that is good. I am concerned about
his age - can he carry off the term if elected. Looking
forward to others comments.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
why google when you can just make a thread huh.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
all you need to know is

ron paul ftw 2012 wooot!!!

edit on Sat Dec 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I like Ron Paul because it seems obvious to me that he truly cares about AMERICA and wants the best for my country. He is a principled man and I think he would be good for America. I think Ron Paul is only seeking the office of President because he wants to make America a better place.

I think Newt Gingrich is just after power. And similarly, I think Mitt Romney is only trying to create a legacy for himself.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

I think I can sum up in two sentences the essence of Ron Paul:

The people of the United States have one of the greatest documents of all time to guide our Nation, The Constitution of the United States of America. We should love it, we should honor it, and most of all, we should follow it.

I think that is why I like Ron Paul so much.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
why google when you can just make a thread huh.

But if you Google, you don't get the inspired opinions of the wonderful posters here at ATS he wanted in his OP.

I'm sure the OP will take our opinions and use those jumping off points to research and develop their own opinion.

:-)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
(Medical) Dr. Ron paul is an ex-military ( usaf doctor) long serving U.S.congressman from Texas who believes "smaller government" and a literal interpretation of the constitution as written by its authors; with a highly public voting record of voting against bills that go against the explicit intentions of the founders.

He gets a bad rap for that because he goes against the "provide for the common welfare" clause democrats; who use that clause to mean anything they wish. Ron runs as a republican but he was shut out of debates last election because he really doesn't play well with the republican game.

He is the only presidential candidate I ever sent a sizeable ( for me) donation too.

"They" commonly claim he is weak on "foreign policy issues". because he believes it's congresses job to declare a war and not for frivilous reasons.and (I believe) He is against overseas" imperialism"; and would draw down u.s. forces abroad.(not a popular idea with the republicans base.)

He blows the other repubs out of the pool far as I'm concerned. Unlike our current executive ("organizer in chief")His voting record is readily available online.
voting history: ( washington post)
projects.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 16-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Dr. Paul aspires to the Libertarian principles (not to be confused with liberals) that are sorely needed to get the US back to prosperity and sanity.

Here's the basic stuff on the party line.

Libertarian Party

Good for you OP for seeking answers in these troubled times.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Some good answers already, but I'll throw in my bit.

Ron Paul was named by his school as "Best All-Around" in 1953. He served his country as an Air Force flight surgeon during the Vietnam was. He became on obstetrician, and delivered around 4000 children during his career - due to his principles on entitlement programs and use of taxpayer money, he refused to accept medicare/medicaid from his patients and would either discount or offer free services. He would not let his children accept financial aid for school, and raised a senator and ophthalmologist in one of his sons (unsure of his other children offhand). He's been in congress for 11 terms sticking to his guns and trying to restore the US to its founding ideals.

He's an old-style republican, speaking for smaller government, a non-aggressive foreign policy that doesn't get entangled in the affairs of other countries, and for less government intrusion into the private lives of US citizens. Generally, he's a heck of a nice guy and seems to me to be the only one walking in a spirit of christian fearlessness - he's been married to the same woman (his first & only wife) for 54 years. He doesn't lie, as far as we can tell, and means what he says - and all that is mainly a good bit of common sense. I've met him briefly three times, and was honored to do so...and I can't say that about many people, in all honesty.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I want to talk about what Ron Paul is not:

-He is not dishonest. He has taken the same stances on issues dating all the way back through the 80s, and probably earlier. To find out about these issues, simply check him out on YouTube.

-He is not bought out by big corporations. The vast majority of his campaign contributions come from regular citizens through small donations. He also has more contributions from active duty military than all other GOP nominees combined! The same cannot be said for others, like Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney. Their campaigns are funded by big business- donations which are presumably given so that once that candidate reaches office they won't forget who took care of them. We can assume that Ron Paul has no private interests to protect except those of the private citizens of the USA.

-He is not willing to compromise when it comes to personal liberty. Legislation like the Patriot Act and the NDAA deprive US citizens of basic civil liberties granted by the Bill of Rights. The premise for doing this is that government will keep us safe. What we are getting is increasingly a police state. Ron Paul does not tolerate the government essentially ripping up the Bill of Rights to keep us "safer". He says that everything requires sacrifice, but that he would rather take the risk of having too much freedom than not enough.

-He is not "unelectable", or a 'fluke' candidate. He is tied for the lead in Iowa and he is second in New Hampshire. These are the first two states that hold their caucuses. This has all been done despite very little help from the media, who, until recently, has treated him only as a fringe candidate.

-He is not radical. Radicals have been increasingly taking power in this country since the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 passed and the interest of big bankers superseded those of the American people. Ron wants to return the United States back to the principles upon which it was founded, which essentially makes him the least radical presidential candidate of all.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, and I hope this helps!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the great replies all! They are really insightful.

This guy has apparently ran for President quite a few times and I know he has increasing popularity this time around but last year wasn't he at something like 1%? Realistically, would he make it to the general election? I, myself, kind of see Romney taking it. Not that I am saying one is better than the other, just who I think would make it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I might also suggest just taking a few minutes and reading his stance on issues on his election site www.ronpaul2012.com...

I did that the other day.. I am not 100% in agreement with him on some minor matters, but for the most part, I find his official stance to be spot on.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2

I think I can sum up in two sentences the essence of Ron Paul:

The people of the United States have one of the greatest documents of all time to guide our Nation, The Constitution of the United States of America. We should love it, we should honor it, and most of all, we should follow it.

I think that is why I like Ron Paul so much.

I agree with that...

new topics

top topics

join