It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox: Like us on Facebook and help the SPCA of Central Florida

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Really? Those are the only two options? So individuals can't donate to the SPCA themselves and just bypass Facebook entirely, and feel a lot better about themselves as well?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Please don't turn this thread into a nonsense argument by distracting from the main point.

Of course people can individually donate to the SPCA. I'm talking about toxic advertising and popularity contests. Everything on TV and Facebook is one huge ego stroke that unwanted animals may have to suffer for.

It's unsettling that this is OK with you.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well, you've already turned it into a nonsense argument by saying the station is threatening to kill animals if people don't friend them on Facebook. I'd love to see you file an animal cruelty charge against the station for this, and see what the judge has to say about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Yeah, sure.

Do you even realize how much money is needed to run a shelter so you don't have to put animals down? The SPCA needs that $5000. If they don't get it, I'm sure that certain animals that could have homes will have to be euthenized. Fact is fact.

It's as if I went to a mall and threatened that I'd drop a puppy from the second floor if everyone in the mall didn't come over and give me a hug. How much sense would that make? I guess Facebook friends is more important than simply giving the money to those who truly need it. If being popular and having a bunch of pixel friends is that important to you, you've got problems and need to get your priorities straight.

No need to respond, we're never going to agree, so make sure you "like" Fox on their Facebook page and do your part to feed the animals. I still won't open a Facebook account because I know what it is and won't ever subscribe to something so toxic and ridiculous.

I'd much rather click on this site for free to do my part:
www.theanimalrescuesite.com...
At least they don't require a stupid Facebook account to help animals in need.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

So, if you are so concerned that the SPCA animal shelter in your area is under such dire threat of shutting down and killing all their kittens if they don't get this station's $5000 donation, how much time and personal money have you contributed towards the shelter?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You can always donate your time, which costs you nothing financially, to the shelter. It would be considerably more helpful than trying to defend this thread's intended purpose.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Yeah, the shelter is almost an hour and a half away from me. There are closer shelters I can get to, but this isn't the point.

You obviously see nothing wrong with this type of marketing and I can't change your mind. Maybe when CNN says they'll donate $50,000 to an orphange if they get 1 million Facadebook friends, you'll see the error in your views.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

No, I would see nothing wrong with that. That would be between CNN and the orphanage. Telling other people or companies how to spend their money is none of my business.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yeah, OK. Keep thinking that.

The real issue here is who is obtaining power. Due to Fox's lame game here, they get more people to send their updates to and Facebook gets more accounts for the government's facial recognition technology. This is the bottom line. It sure sucks that they have to stoop so low and use helpless animals to get people to contribute to this vile matrix that is creeping into everyone's lives and destroying privacy laws.

Maybe you should read up on face.com
face.com...

Does all of that mean nothing to you? I guess all you care about is how many pixel friends you have and are able to look past the obvious insanity going on in the technological field and the police state. They do go hand in hand. Remember: aspertame and fluoride are good for you.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
you 2 are going nowhere with this bantering..

what happened to this?

Help FOX 35 reach 50,000 fans on our Facebook page and FOX 35 & AT&T will donate $5,000 to the SPCA of Central Florida! This holiday season, FOX 35 & AT&T are teaming up to help our furry friends at the SPCA of Central Florida. Simply like FOX 35’s page on Facebook, and if we reach our goal of 50,000 friends by midnight on December 29, 2011, we’ll donate $5,000 to the SPCA of Central Florida. Visit the FOX 35 Facebook page at: www.facebook.com... to like us and help us reach our goal and tell your Facebook friends to like us too. For more information on the SPCA of Central Florida, visit www.ohs-spca.org

I understand the OP's concern about this...

to me it just seems wrong also..

will they still donate the $ even if they don't get 50.000 friends???

that is the question....Hmmmm

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Might I make a suggestion to kind of mess with them. It's based on something someone posted on the first page. Why don't we all like them and get other people here on ATS to like them and then set a date, say, Jan. 1st, and we all "unlike" them. Sure, we probably wouldn't amount to more than 100 people, but it'd be fun to make them scratch their heads at why 100 or more people simply unliked them on the 1st. Make the marketing and pr departments really start scratching their heads, spinning their gears to try and find the next quick marketing boost.

Or, would our participation be encouraging them to want to do things like this again?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

I like your idea, but I'm also concerned with this as well:

Or, would our participation be encouraging them to want to do things like this again?

It's a real Catch 22.

Plus, it seems as though these kinds of marketing schemes are catching on. This one isn't as bad, but it's along the same lines since you have to sign up with Jockey and Tebow has to get his team to the Super Bowl if you want free underwear.
denver.cbslocal.com...

Why is everything becoming a stupid popularity contest? If you can give, do it. Why do strings have to be attached?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
UPDATE!!!! Fox changed the contest!

According to their newest commercial, rather than having a goal of 50,000 likes for the $5,000, every "like" counts as $1.00. Their ad says that they'll donate up $5000, so now only 5000 "likes" are needed to achieve the goal. Although, even if they get 6000 "likes", they'll still only donate $5000, which is fine and dandy in my opinion.

This is great news! Now, the shelter will get the money regardless instead of the "all or nothing" old contest rules.

I don't know if this thread and those who supported my displeasure helped change the contest stipulations, but let's give ourselves a pat on the back anyways. Goodness, common sense, and rationality prevailed.

Merry Christmas, Central Florida SPCA and the animals they're caring for. May they all find good homes soon!

A huge thanks to Fox for changing the contest. You've made a wonderful decision.

Merry Christmas to all of you as well!

edit on 20-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join