It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members who have died?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I know this a huge website when compared to many but I've noticed that on most of the other forums I peruse there's usually a topic about members who've died or passed away. ATS doesn't seem to have that for some reason.
Now I know with such a large usergroup it's probably hard to connect with alot of users and even more so to keep track of there offline lives but I'm just kind of curious. I mean with such a large usergroup you have to figure several members have passed away while frequently visiting this website. Anyone know of any?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

I can remember 2 threads about 2 different deceased member in my short years here at ATS. I popped into your thread, because I doubt anyone would think to alert ATS when I start my dirt nap, and have definitely felt healthier than I do lately.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's true that members have 'crossed the river'. With so many of us, it is inevitable that a few pass on during their time with us. Lives change, we marry and have children, we have accidents and get sick... that's life.

Some who we lose are well known, will be noticed and discussed by other members and, yet, many more who are not so popular may just go forever silent.

The beautiful thing about it is that their thoughts and opinions will be here for the rest of us as long as ATS exists.

All the more reason to be careful about what we post here. Better to be remembered as pleasant and helpful than as a troll, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The passing of McKyle was a particularly sad time to be honest. I knew him fairly well, he was a great member and of course a great guy too.

Here's a thread announcing his unfortunate passing: Regarding the passing of Mckyle

I'm sure everyone also remembers the unfortunate passing of 2 well known member's William one sac who was an administrator and Jkrog08 who was an FSME here. 2 people I personally didn't know that well but heard nothing but good thing's about.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have a designated friend to tell the people on the forums I go to. Trouble is, he was banned from this site. So...if ever you don't see me around anymore, it is because I died. It is the only thing that would keep me away, unless my computer died and I couldn't afford another one. In any case, I Love you folks!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
All the more reason to be careful about what we post here. Better to be remembered as pleasant and helpful than as a troll, wouldn't you agree?

I disagree.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I've seen a few members die and they have not been forgotten. There are threads about these members dying, the ones I know of have been posted in this thread already.

What's bad is I have it set up with a good friend of mine, to let ATS know, should something ever happen to me....

I know a couple people would wonder. Probably not that many though.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I think an online mausoleum for the departed among us would be a good idea. There are some singular thinkers on this website, and this community, though varied in its politics, and occasionally riven by the differences of opinion between members, is none the less unique. Being a part of it marks a person as willing to engage with thought processes, and possibilities outside the normal range. Therefore, the people here are worth noting as they pass in my estimation.

We may not be warfighters one and all, we may not be heros, but each and every one of us, by participation in the day to day activity on this site, have contributed something to this site in some way, and I believe a tribute thread would be a grand idea, to assist us in remembering those who have come before us, and so that those who come after us will know of us as more than names mentioned in passing.

In the case of the wisest of the departed, it would be good if when such a member passes, and his or her name added to the roster of the deceased, thier threads and posts were linked to underneath thier names, so that people get a feel for what passed before.

Sometimes it is better , after all , to live up to an example you never expirienced in the flesh so to speak, than to focus your aims on the example of the living.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
One of the issues is that most people here are only known by their avatar/nick... and unless you have shared email when they leave you have no idea why because you have no way to contact them.

Some get banned, some just quit and some pass away and we will never know it...

Two people I know disappeared without a trace... Beer Guy sent me a copy of plans he had for a hydrogen conversion unit. After that I never heard from him again and I had his email...

The other was a space scientist who made some great Mars threads on water and the search for life. She was just about to start a thread on Venus and she vanished, and all her images and links to her site went with her. Just POOF one day here and chipper... next day gone without a word

So if you want to be remembered, make enough noise so you will be missed

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I'd miss you dude.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I would think many more members have passed
that we don't know about. We just think they have
left the site for some reason.

When my time comes I will try my best to let
you know on the paranormal thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My older avatar with a couple changes to it, for our most esteemed and honored past ATSer. I still tear up from time to time as I remember him.

I deeply miss our William One Sac, and hopefully his glorious light will never fade from memory.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a166423dd295.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/961169a484e7.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 17-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I know a couple people would wonder. Probably not that many though.

GST

No, quite the opposite, many, we old hands would all be concerned.

Keep this in mind, if ever such a tragedy occurs, this song I will play in your memory;

Imagine
edit on 17-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: I did

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
When my time comes I will try my best to let
you know on the paranormal thread.

The skeptics would try to debunk your message from beyond

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by crazydaisy