It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart’s Billions and the Art Museum of Cruelty: A Christmas Carol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by Areyoupeopleinsane

Really, in this economy, someone who works at Wal-Mart can easily work somewhere else?

Yeah, for instance, K-Mart! Burger King! McDonalds!
They're sure to get rich there!

Yup.. that's the level of their skill sets, that's where they can work.

You honestly think the guy or gall at the checkout counter at WalMart should be paid enough to be considered rich?

Your paid what your worth to a company. Minimum wage for minimum worth. increase your skill sets and you will increase your income.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I think everyone should be paid enough to be able to at least buy food and live in a cheap but safe apartment. Does that count as rich? Is that something you disagree with?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I think everyone should be paid enough to be able to at least buy food and live in a cheap but safe apartment. Does that count as rich? Is that something you disagree with?

The WalMart employees ARE paid enough. Enough to live in an apartment and eat. Now the crying you hear from those employees are feeble attempts to make excuses for their poor choices in life. The tv they just bouhgt and their 2 pack a day smoking habit will put a serious dent in their paycheck, but again its a choice they made to smoke, to not continue school, to not try and learn or advance their carriers.

No one likes to hear the truth, which is, the folks that work at jobs such a WalMart and the like are not very intelligent. If they were they would figure out a way to better their situation.

Poverty is a choice.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Really? Because my minimum wage job, where I was not allowed to get to full time hours so they didn't have to give me benefits, did not pay enough for me to have food and a small apartment. Not even close. And not a single other place around me was hiring. Oh, believe me, I sent out applications and resumes for months.

I'm sorry, have you ever known hardship? Did you ever work minimum wage? Will you end up suffering for the rest of your life for any of the mistakes you made? Do you think you really have any right to judge how hard a person works by your privileged life?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Can i has civil wars... ?
(just kidding)
But seriously, can I?

Who wants to 'actually' "raze walmart to the ground", followed by D.C., ect...
Im kind of suprised we dont see footage of a bunch of dead people in america who have taken up arms already, and got slain...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areyoupeopleinsane

e. The tv they just bouhgt and their 2 pack a day smoking habit will put a serious dent in their paycheck, but again its a choice they made to smoke, to not continue school, to not try and learn or advance their carriers.

No one likes to hear the truth, which is, the folks that work at jobs such a WalMart and the like are not very intelligent.

"Those people aren't very intelligent." " bouhgt."

Does anything else really need to be said about this.....person?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

...honest work, investment of time, production of a quality product that people want to buy, treating employees fairly, and doing business for your community not with your community?

These things do not make anyone rich, except by low standards. They do however, make one well-off enough to be comfortable.

Real riches require sociopathy to acquire - be it corporate or personal.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reptius

e. The tv they just bouhgt and their 2 pack a day smoking habit will put a serious dent in their paycheck, but again its a choice they made to smoke, to not continue school, to not try and learn or advance their carriers.

No one likes to hear the truth, which is, the folks that work at jobs such a WalMart and the like are not very intelligent.

"Those people aren't very intelligent." " bouhgt."

Does anything else really need to be said about this.....person?

Ah the age old internet forum trick.... cant come up with a substantive retort to a posters ideas, so then attack their spelling in a feeble attempt to show they are in fact a complete dolt and by sheer luck only managed to string together some words that ended up having any point at all.

Much in the same way a monkey throwing darts at the stock listings in the Wall Street Journal will eventually pick a winner...

Right?

Wright?

Write?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

reply to post by cetaphobic

Poverty is a choice.

Anything you say to refute this is an excuse.

Your either, uneducated, not clever enough, not brave enough to take a risk or just plain lazy and that's why YOUR not rich.

Stop crying about those of us who are wealthy and go out and figure out a way to be wealthy yourself.

I have met very very very few wealthy people that were wealthy because there were clever, educated, or brave. I guess people that get their money by being lucky, related, or just evil do not exist anymore. Thank god that is over.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

You are also not rich, and you will never, ever be as rich as these heirs.

The word "heir" is one you often have to explain more than a few times to the supersmart, over educated, brave rich.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
yea.. i started a thread on this too..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

hopes yours does better....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Really? Because my minimum wage job, where I was not allowed to get to full time hours so they didn't have to give me benefits, did not pay enough for me to have food and a small apartment. Not even close. And not a single other place around me was hiring. Oh, believe me, I sent out applications and resumes for months.

I'm sorry, have you ever known hardship? Did you ever work minimum wage? Will you end up suffering for the rest of your life for any of the mistakes you made? Do you think you really have any right to judge how hard a person works by your privileged life?

Let me address your first paragraph. Your making excuses pure and simple. You've given up haven't you?

Not allowed...didnt have to....not enough. These are all results of YOU putting YOURSELF in that situation. It;s not your employers duty to make sure you have enough hours and money to live the way you want. Your employer is looking to make the most profit possible and will set his or her wages high enough to attract employees but low enough to not overpay and impact his or her bottom line negatively.

What you seem to not understand is, as an employee you are doing the MOST work for the LEAST amount of money. I suggest an excellent book to begin your financial education would be Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Its an excellent place to begin to unravel the misconceptions and mindless drivel espoused upon our children in the public screwel system.

Secondly have i know poverty? Absolutely. Have I worked for minimum wage...yes. Did I despise it? Yes. What did I do? I decided to take charge of my own destiny and instead of whining why I don't have this or that I changed my thinking to "How can I get that" doing just that changes ones perceptions of the world around them and gets your mind thinking in new directions.....directions OUT of the despair you may find yourself in.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Areyoupeopleinsane because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

Poverty is a choice.

Your either, uneducated, not clever enough, not brave enough to take a risk or just plain lazy and that's why YOUR not rich.

Stop crying about those of us who are wealthy and go out and figure out a way to be wealthy yourself.

I have met very very very few wealthy people that were wealthy because there were clever, educated, or brave. I guess people that get their money by being lucky, related, or just evil do not exist anymore. Thank god that is over.

How many wealthy people HAVE you meant? (That's quantifier #1) and how does someone meet YOUR scale to be considered wealthy (That's quantifier #2). Without answering those questions, your comment is baseless.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

That has nothing to do with Walmart NOT paying their workers more than minimum wage when they are raking in Billions in profits EVERY year.

This is called EXPLOITATION of the worker. aka a wage slave[

Without the workers, Walmart could never get the profits they do. Why should they not be paid a living wage when the company CAN afford it.
edit on 12/16/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Because he is carrying the attitued the owner of my company was exhibiting today at our annual holiday party. He wanted everyone to bow and kiss his hand, thanking him for the very opportunity to come and work for him. Obviously, we would not have our jobs if it were not for him.
When did that happen?
I find it hard to believe his company would make dime one without any customers. Then were he to gather enough customers to cover just the overhead he has with the building and equipment he needs, I would love to know how he is ever going to fill said orders by himself.
It seems like the owner needs customers and needs his workers really more than any of us need him. The customers can go elsewhere and without one man owning that much of this market, well all us unemployed skilled workers would have a market.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

That has nothing to do with Walmart NOT paying their workers more than minimum wage when they are raking in Billions in profits EVERY year.

This is called EXPLOITATION of the worker. aka a wage slave[

Without the workers, Walmart could never get the profits they do. Why should they not be paid a living wage when the company CAN afford it.
edit on 12/16/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Really? I haven't seen the Wall-Mar employe round up crews going thru neighborhoods and collecting people at gunpoint to work in their stores.

There is no such thing as a wage slave.

Slavery is by force. Wage is remuneration for labor.

If they the employee's don't think they are getting a fair wage for the work they perform they have total freedom to go work someplace else.

But I don't think being a cashier, stocking shelves or mopping floors etc.. warrants more then minimum wage.

Anything you argue to the contrary is just an excuse, as poverty is a choice.

Soo.... you do not understand the job market at all do you?
Why might one work?
To survive?
Feed their kids?
Why might one be FORCED to work at walmart?
Because no matter what they are qualified for, no one is going to pay them to do it anymore, in that place, or instead of a chinese slave, etc. Yes people can be forced to work at walmart when the only other viable option is not working simply because that is what the job market demands.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

im glad you went to do something and had it work for you. some people try and things dont work out. they try and try and it still doesnt work. it's not because they are lazy it is not because they are inadequate, it is simply because some mitigating circumstances interfere. If you are as intelligent as you attempt to sound, then you should have no issue understanding the dismal economic situation within the U.S., the vast amount of under employed, unemployed, and the few available opportunities. Yet i get the impression, based entirely off your posts, that you lucked out and now want to speak as if you are so wonderful because you get by while others cannot. I too am doing well right now and i am honest enough to admit that it was circumstance that allowed my interview, circumstance that it went well, and circumstance that i am still employed. I control only my own actions but that is not enough to create or guarantee gainful employment for any one individual. I look forward to your intelligent and calm response.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Poverty is a choice.

Did you really just say that? Its a well known fact that 99.9% of the world's wealthiest people are so, not by their own means, and the ones that are (save a few) had much better opportunities available to them than your average man. Even ex-enlisted military are considered poverty level. Are you assuming they didn't work hard enough? Are you assuming that all the people with perfect grades throughout school who's parents couldn't afford to send them to an Ivy League school didn't work hard enough?

I love you, whoever you are, but your ignorance and flat out refusal to believe that you are being manipulated only adds to the overall problem. Your anger and self righteousness will only destroy you in the end. I'm very sad for you, my friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join