It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome Home From Iraq?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was thinking yesterday and even chatted a little bit with friends about this feeling I have. I feel like hardly anyone cares that a nearly 9 year war is over. I was expecting big headlines on news sites and news papers. Breaking news of coverage of soldiers deboarding military planes. Parades, cheering...something? What gives? Even my friends who tend to be similar minded to me it was kind of "Oh, yeah...that's great; Can you pass the sugar?" I was thinking that I was alone in having an emotional reaction to the end of the war but, I just came across this article which inspired me to write this OP.

What if they ended a war and nobody cared?

With the possible exception of the Korean War, never in U.S. history has a major war concluded with so little fanfare. Every schoolchild knows that the Revolutionary War ended at Yorktown, when Gen. Cornwallis’ troops surrendered to George Washington’s Continental Army as a British band famously played “The World Turned Upside Down.” The encounter at Appomattox Court House between an immaculate Robert E. Lee and a mud-spattered Ulysses S. Grant has entered American legend.

But the Iraq War is different. Except for the families of the troops still serving there, Americans tuned it out long ago. Nobody gives a damn about the Iraq War.

Maybe I am naive in thinking that our soldiers want to be welcomed home with open arms and smiles through tears. Maybe that would be the worst possible thing for them after what they have been through? I don't know but it just feels wrong and cold to have no reaction.

So personally, from me:
I've never served, never been to war so I can't know what you have been through or what you will go through as you re-adjust. I wish that you never had to go, I wish I could throw you a parade or give you a hug. Regardless of the resons for this war it should not make us unfeeling toward you. Your sacrifice hasn't gone unoticed. Welcome home.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I agree with you, not much being said as if they are coming home tails tucked
are we embarrassed? Seems sad they gave they lives up for a cause not of there own and now have to return home without a welcome or even a thank you SHAME ON US

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I can't and won't speak for any other serviceman or woman.

But I will give you MY opinion. (Like I'm shy about doing that
)

In 11 months I'll be going home. Done. Fini with the Army. Adios. I don't want a parade. I don't want flowers.

I'm tired.

I want a quiet little job in a quiet little corner of a quiet little state and live and love my family and just get on with life.

I won't say who, I won't say when, I won't say where. . .
But I had a meeting a while back with a big SOMEONE. He stated, "I'm just so damned tired of this."

He echoed our sentiments.

Save the parades for when we find life on Mars or when the Cubs win the Pennant. As far as I'm concerned, it's okay just to say thanks and let it go.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Indeed.

But let's face it, between the media bashing and smearing our soldiers, government policizing the war for gains in the polls or in their pockets, and people simply being terribly apathetic toward these issues, it is no surprise there was no one there to welcome them home.

The same will happen with Afghanistan. The American people just don't care.

edit on 16-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm not sure they'll even get that.

If the sentiment toward service members around here and that which I've encountered in my personal life is any indicator, soldiers are more likely to be spit on than thanked.

I'll still wear the uniform with pride. But I won't be looking for any thank you's.

It's just another thankless job in America. I think that's something people who wear the uniform should get used to from now on.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Kali74

Indeed.

But let's face it, between the media bashing and smearing our soldiers, government policizing the war for gains in the polls or in their pockets, and people simply being terribly apathetic toward these issues, it is no surprise there was no one there to welcome them home.

The same will happen with Afghanistan. The America people just don't care.

You do have a way of putting it that gets right to the heart of the matter without making it judgmental. On that basis, perhaps we need to judge the rightness of future wars both large and small before committing to them. Not only justification, but whether John Q. walking down Main street, USA also feels so strongly about and can articulate the reasons for a war well enough to support it to the bitter end.

World War II was the last one that comes to mind with that level of general agreement and clarity of purpose. Korea as a decent runner up....Perhaps that is the way to view it going forward. This sure didn't turn out well.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

well this was suppose to happen when? 09?

kinda like the boy that cried wolf.
all the "excitement" died.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Off Topic....

I'm an armed bear having a conversation with two little bunnies...

I'm not trying to be judgmental. But my experiences here and in my personal life have shown me the kind of regard people have for those who wear the uniform, or those who make the decision to wear the uniform. I don't think Iraq in and of itself had anything to do with it. Instead I think it is the product of two sides of the political divide engaged in political juijitsu in order to score points off our backs.

From presidents to congressmen to morons here on ATS who think they know what's up.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In order for it to matter, you'd have to convince the majority of our population that the war in Iraq was just.

It was arguably not, I knew this back in March 2003 before it started, confirmed it around 2007 and finally now in 2011 they are leaving not because we are done, or because we have "won" or reached some sort of end goal, but because Iraq has told us enough is enough, and to leave. Iraq is happy and is celebrating our departure of this country, and it's not even a bittersweet end but downright sour.

If you watch the President's speech marking the end of the war, you will at times hear the crowd of soldiers let out a loud "hooah!", not because they are motivated by what the Commander in Chief is saying regarding our accomplishments there, but because they suspect he might be close to wrapping it up and stop wasting their time, sweat, and blood for naught.

Iraq will, over the next few decades, return to a similar state in which we entered it.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Some people care. Some people will be glad to see neighbors and relatives come back, and will have parties.
Some of us have neighbors we haven't met yet, they've bought houses through family members, and have yet to come home to live in them.
I like the military, and I appreciate what they do.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I'm not sure they'll even get that.

If the sentiment toward service members around here and that which I've encountered in my personal life is any indicator, soldiers are more likely to be spit on than thanked.

I'll still wear the uniform with pride. But I won't be looking for any thank you's.

It's just another thankless job in America. I think that's something people who wear the uniform should get used to from now on.

ETA: Bear/bunnies LMFAO!

The pride I have comes from within. I could get spit on, yelled at, disregarded every damned day of the week.

I go to sleep, though, knowing that the fraternity I belong to GAVE them the freedom to do that.
edit on 16-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree.

But it would be nice if the American people would play on the same team every now and then don't you think?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I agree.

But it would be nice if the American people would play on the same team every now and then don't you think?

To further your analogy, we have a team. Seven of them want salaries doing nothing, Two play infield/outfield and pitch and catch, and there is another one person taking credit for ALL the players.

I'll settle for a cold beer bought by a stranger.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Beezer,
Thank-you.

It seems though since most americans feel this was an unjust war it and it went on much longer than it was supposed it would be all the more reason to be warm to our soldiers coming home.

Project,
I appreciate your reply and am sorry that you have experienced disdain for serving, it's not something I was aware of happening in this day and age. I was of the impression people were much more appreciative of those serving than in the Vietnam era.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This sums it up:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm glad it's over.
Welcome home.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If they are spared the indignities that returning Vietnam vets got, I will be happy. No serviceperson needs that crap after what they and their families had to deal with.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My thoughts:

I am glad the war in Iraq is over. Very glad. But let's be realistic. The war in the middle east is GROWING, not shrinking. There is a part of me that thinks it is a very real possibility that the war in Iraq is ending only so those resources can be used in other wars.

I hope for the safe return of every soldier, but i do not thank them for the service in this war. I feel bad for them, i have sorrow for them, but I do not thank them.

When it is actually about protecting this nation, i will thank them.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I hope for the safe return of every soldier, but i do not thank them for the service in this war. I feel bad for them, i have sorrow for them, but I do not thank them.

Your beef is with(or should be) the tools in Washington, not those that decided self sacrifice to serve their country.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Your beef is with(or should be) the tools in Washington, not those that decided self sacrifice to serve their country.

I absolutely agree, and I have no issue with the soldiers. But I do not thank a cop for a wrongful arrest, even though he is serving his country, just as i dont thank a soldier who participates in an unjust war.

I hold no ill-will toward them. I simply dont have anything to thank them for, in this instance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join