It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody have any knowledge on the Aztec capital city - Tenochtitlan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've developed quite an obsession with the city of Tenochtitlan.

Tenochtitlan was the most populous and biggest city in the world at the start of the age of exploration.
It also formed the structure of today's Mexico City.
Most of it consisted of an artificial island.

That makes me wonder what such a city was actually built with?

Despite its achievements, Tenochtitlan also had several temples for human sacrifice.

When the Spaniards under Cortez entered the city, they first found it astounding.
However, with thousands of native people who hated the Aztecs, they eventually conquered it street by street.
Once the conquest was over they blew up the pyramids, and the Indians were forced to dismantle their buildings brick by brick.

But was this all true?
Does nothing remain?
How did Tenochtitlan begin and end?

Here is one version of what the magnificent city may have looked like:

edit on 16-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Watch 'Brad Meltzer's Decoded' episode on the Aztec Empire. I think you'll find a lot of interesting information in the doc.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The great Aztec massacre.
This clip begins with Tenochtitlan (although I'm not sure why the Aztecs are often called "ancient", since their empire reigned from the 1300-1600s), but then focuses on skeletons found in an Aztec stronghold, which date to the time of the conquest.
Forty of the skeletons are from Europeans (including women), from the wave of conquistadors following Cortez (I think they first wanted to arrest Cortez, but he quickly made an alliance with them).
They were killed ritually and possibly cannibalized by the Aztecs.
I know it sounds terrible, but I'm with the Aztecs on this one.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Oh my hat!
As I was searching the web for more on Tenochtitlan and the Aztecs, I came across the Aztec Club of 1847:
______beforeitsnews/story/531/375/Aztec_Club_of_1847-

If it were better known, conspiracy theorists would have a field day with the Aztec Club of 1847. At the conclusion of hostilities in the Mexican War, bored US officers in Mexico City founded on October 13, 1847 the Aztec Club, a military society open to membership by regular and volunteer officers who served in the Mexican War. Among its members were Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee.
No fewer than six members of the Club went on to run for President of the United States on a major party ticket: Zachary Taylor, Franklin Pierce, Winfield Scott, George McClellan, Ulysses S. Grant and Winfield Scott Hancock. Meetings of the Club were not READ HERE

If_it_were_better_known,_conspiracy_theorists_would_have_a_field_day.html

Was this a hoax?
Why did they call themselves the Aztec club?
What did they have in common with the Aztecs?
Did they supposedly use Native American artifacts, just like the Bonesmen apparently used the skull of Geronimo?

edit on 18-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Aztec dancing.
Quite a treat for me, but I suppose Americans see this splendor live every day or week.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Reading all these different accounts of the conquest, i still wonder how Montezuma died.

Did the Spaniards kill him, or were his own people just sick and tired of him being a puppet?

top topics

join