It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Naked mole-rats reveal clues to treating arthritis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Now for arthritis sufferers like me, it feels like this is an understudied, underappreciated medical condition. It may not kill you, but it is certainly debilitating and can railroad someone's entire life.

So needless to say, short of reducing yourself to buying from a snakeoil salesman, any news is good news.

But what is more exotic then snake oil? Hairless mole rats.

Ugly little thing but ecologically fascinating.

The partially blind, hairless, wrinkly, cold-blooded mammals were good candidates for the study because of their unique insensitivity to acid-induced pain.

lightyears

Now I rarely get explained to me why I suffer. Though some of my condition is considered unusual for my age.
So this part of the article got my attention.

Inflammatory disorders, such as arthritis, are normally associated with acidosis, scientists say

So I looked up acidosis:

Acidosis - A medical condition in which the acid-base balance in the blood plasma is disturbed in the direction of excess acidity, the pH falling below 7.35.

Over acidity, which can become a dangerous condition that weakens all body systems, is very common today. It gives rise to an internal environment conducive to disease, as opposed to a pH-balanced environment which allows normal body function necessary for the body to resist disease.

I am curious if a person with arthritic conditions are tested for acidoses, and why isn't this condition treated instead of just treating the arthritis?

And why do we have to look at hairless mole rats from exotic places?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
arthritis is said to be caused by eating pork and red meat.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I wonder if that leads into that foods change acidity. I don't see how a diet of foods you should be eating anyways can change the acidity so much that it eats away at cartilage and bone.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
arthritis is said to be caused by eating pork and red meat.

Which in some people, causes acidosis. Too much meats, dairy, and sugars (some grains).

I've also heard to cut back on any members of the nightshade family - white potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant. Not sure what others.

To have a healthier ph in the body, one needs to eat more fresh vegies and fruits. Drinking lemon juice is also said to help, but sugar must also be cut back. Use stevia to sweeten.

There's a few charts out there that tell what foods to eat, they differ on a couple of the grain types though. Google a few different charts for the acid/alkaline diet, to compare where they differ.

I think you can get saliva activated ph strips from pharmasists.

Maybe if the doctors treated the cause of the symptoms, instead of just the symptoms, they feel they'd lose out on your prescription kickbacks.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well that list just eradicates the good things in life.

Seriously, I may have to try the acid diet.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

No. Haha. They say that because of one form of arthritis, called gout, is thought to be caused by eating red meat. Unfortunately, most of the data supporting this notion comes from large, observational studies that have no arrow of causation.

Although I don't have time to get you sources, I can tell you that there is mounting evidence suggesting that it has more to do with inflammation, caused by high-carb diets, and reactions to wheat lectins and gluten. And in the case of gout it's more closely tied to insulin resistance and fructose consumption.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
my cuz is trying a new magnetic treatment
I suggested the same advice as SS so astutely posted and he said he'd much rather take the magnetic treatment.

For the magnetic treatment he has to drive 4 hours each way and it is expensive to boot
he says it works....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

...why isn't this condition treated instead of just treating the arthritis?

Big Pharma prefers to treat symptoms rather than what makes you sick; it's more profitable.

At least, with this cue, you can start to re-balance your diet. And remember that when you read Vitamin C added, it means it is in acid form... I say it is engineered. As they say in the article, it is a modern problem...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

inflamation can also be an immune reaction to vaccines and medications

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I was hoping you would show up. So does an anti-acidic diet work?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by wlord

Although I don't have time to get you sources, I can tell you that there is mounting evidence suggesting that it has more to do with inflammation, caused by high-carb diets, and reactions to wheat lectins and gluten. And in the case of gout it's more closely tied to insulin resistance and fructose consumption.

I've heard that too. I think it might have been Dr Mercola's site. Insulin resistance has been tied to other health problems too.

There's so much to research, much links back to too much sweet stuff and simple carbs - fructose, other sugars, grains......

Devo, you've done a lot of good research in health, and have a much better memory than I, on what you've researched
I'm glad you showed up.
Your posts in the health forums are of lots of value.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Arthritis is VERY strongly linked to inflammation - many foods and spices can counteract inflammation. Cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and green tea are high on the list.

For more info on the associations between infection, inflammation and chronic disease like arthritis, check this out: Bioterrorism, Flu Pandemics, Big Pharma and the CDC

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It's worth a shot, nix. Just because foods promote acidity, it doesn't mean they should be avoided. In the case of red meats, for example, a balance of green, leafy foods would be enough alkalinity to balance out the acidity of meat.

Grains are also acid promoting. So, on top of the fact that grains contain gluten and lectins, proteins that our bodies aren't used to, they're promoting inflammation and acidity.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is so great to see you guys talking about this.

nixie nox - You are asking all the right questions. This is where you want to be looking if you are sincere about finding remedy for arthritis.

The fact of the matter is pretty well everyone these days, due to diet, is overly acidic. Acidosis is an epidemic and acids break down and damage cells. What are acids? They are metabolic wastes basically. Cellular poop. We must realize that all we are made up of is cells. 70 to 100 trillion of them. All of these cells have to eat and poop. The poop is going to be acidic by nature but to what degree? And where does it go? Is it hanging around the cells (interstitially), doing damage - or is it being allowed to move away via the lymph system. Otherwise known as the sewer system. Extremely underestimated in its role of "dis-ease".

There is much to be said about this but none of it complicated. The truth never is. With regards arthritis it is simply a weakness of the connective tissue - weakness being, the cells of those tissues are most susceptible to damage (acids damage cells). And a weakness in the connective tissues is a parathyroid weakness; responsible for the utilization of calcium.

There are easy ways to remedy this and regenerate the parathyroid. As a matter of fact it's extremely easy.

And yes, you asked the right question. It is about diet. This isn't about addressing the symptoms. It's about resolving the underling cause.

I'll answer any questions about this area of health and nutrition. I have extensive experience myself and would be happy to help explain or provide reading material etc.

edit on 16-12-2011 by StrangeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nix, you may be interested in this thread I wrote a bit ago..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join