It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy demonstrator arrested for sidewalk writing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

as a OWS supporter myself i knew most people would have a negative opinion about the movement because of the MSM vilifying about these guys whenever they had a chance. after some time this protest slowly became a sham drawing the attention from what they REALLY were protesting to protesting against their right to protest.

The MSM wouldn't have such negative or damaging reports if people, like in the OP didn't give them such a hodgepodge of destructive behavior.
They need to be weeded out if possible, if it's not too late, that is.
They should have a spokesman too. Regardless of that, even if someone is a part of a group, their still responsible for their actions individually. This man's childish behavior, unfortunately, casts even more negativity onto OWS.
Personally, I don't think OWS was initiated for the reasons many of you supporters hoped it would be. I think it's a test, a way to observe the people's reactions, also the local and federal governments reactions.
Someone should start another movement, one that has a clear message, one that you could proudly support.

see that's the problem, people construct their opinions on the negative when in reality, the positive should overcome the negative things in life.
i do agree that their were people there for the "f*** of it", just having nothing to do with the movement and that are quite vociferous when approached by an officer for their inappropriate actions.

now when these impractical "persons" would act up, the movement would immediately make it clear that they weren't part of the movement and remove them for the exact reason about being vilified about. you're always going to have those "stupid" people in a group but, that's not the part in where your opinion should be constructed at tho.

this made me think about this punk song by Agent Orange....

Lyrics:
they want us to tell them
what to burn into the groove
we're just gonna sit
and let them make the first move
the radio obsession
doesn't mean a thing to me
i don't like first impressions
and i don't watch much tv

i don't want to think about it
who, what, when, or where
i don't really care
i don't want to think about
creating something new
because i've got much better
things to do

i don't want to see
i don't want to know
the kind of fool
they'll make of me
the public gets what they deserve
not what they demand
unless we all decide to be
a business, not a band

who, what, when, or where
i don't really care
i don't want to think about
creating something new
because i've got much better
things to do - just like you

it's just an awful nightmare
and i get these awful headaches
and i can't get any sleep at night
i don't know what to do
i don't know where to turn
or what to think
i haven't got a clue
i don't know what's come over me
i'm getting dizzy
please will someone make it stop

edit on 16-12-2011 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2011 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I didn't really want to comment in this thread as it is 100% clear and cut, but it seems some people just can't see that. This is not about children drawing pictures on the sidewalk, heck its not even about 3D sidewalk chalk artists practicing their medium. What it is about is the fact that advertizing on the sidewalk in any form is illegal. That means advertizing a political statement, religious statement, or even a web site is ILLEGAL.

Most of you don't walk down sidewalks, I would guess, but you do see all the billboards, the window adds, the TV, everywhere on the web, newspapers, etc., etc., etc. We are inundated with advertizing everywhere we look. Advertizing companies, namely Coca Cola, attempted to bounce lazers off stars to place adds in the sky(until it was made illegal). If given a medium advertizes would take over and all of you know it.

How would you like to walk down the street and all you see is add after add after add, one square each? Personally I wouldn't and that is why it is illegal. Not a childs picture or hop scotch game nor an artists rendition.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Hot damn, that's some straight up synchronicity there CREAM!

I wish we could all get our points across through music. You nailed that one!

All I'm trying to say is that there's a time and place and reason for demonstrating. Once all of the other avenues are taken and are exhausted first. I doubt the guy in the OP really cares about the law he broke. He's probably happy that law exists for all we know. Minimal effort for attention.

The highjackers of OWS, seem to have the same message if you ask me.

It's like they're saying to OWS/Day of Rage... "you gave me life now show me how to live", lol.
Followers in need of guidance. The young protesters who are derailing the movement seem to me like they're chasing their tail.
If I wasn't so tired, I'd probably make more sense.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
I didn't really want to comment in this thread as it is 100% clear and cut, but it seems some people just can't see that. This is not about children drawing pictures on the sidewalk, heck its not even about 3D sidewalk chalk artists practicing their medium. What it is about is the fact that advertizing on the sidewalk in any form is illegal. That means advertizing a political statement, religious statement, or even a web site is ILLEGAL.

Most of you don't walk down sidewalks, I would guess, but you do see all the billboards, the window adds, the TV, everywhere on the web, newspapers, etc., etc., etc. We are inundated with advertizing everywhere we look. Advertizing companies, namely Coca Cola, attempted to bounce lazers off stars to place adds in the sky(until it was made illegal). If given a medium advertizes would take over and all of you know it.

How would you like to walk down the street and all you see is add after add after add, one square each? Personally I wouldn't and that is why it is illegal. Not a childs picture or hop scotch game nor an artists rendition.

I would, I would watch a person draw a coca cola ad for an hour, dump water on it when it was done, and

Actually, I kinda take that back, first off it would be impractical, but second off, the only way you'd be able to get my attention with a chalk ad would be if it was really good art.. What would that mean? Mass employment for artists?
Oh noess! Actually I think chalk ads would not be practical for large companies, but maybe small business. No matter what, there will not be chalk covering our streets, just because that wouldn't happen even if it was legalized.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

see that's the problem, people construct their opinions on the negative when in reality, the positive should overcome the negative things in life.

Now in the instance of the actions of the protester, I'm actually happy to see that we in Orlando have such lame dufus's protesting compared to Occupy Portland and Wallstreet

you're always going to have those "stupid" people in a group but, that's not the part in where your opinion should be constructed at tho.

I'm still trying to figure out OWS main message. It seems to be anti big-corporation but if you ask six people, usually you get six different answers as to what the main message is.
This reminds me of when Obama campaigned for "hope and change". People made up their own idea of his "hope and change" because he wasn't vetted enough to understand what he completely meant by that.
Now many of the voters/supporters of Obama are very disappointed with Obama.
As with Obama, OWS leaves too many gaps in it's message, so many supporters have no choice but to fill the gaps with their own understanding of hope and change... only to be disappointed again.
Obama shouldn't be blamed for this, nor should OWS. Are people so desperate for change that they dare not ask leaders the hard questions?
Who is the spokesperson of OWS? No one or one's will step up to clarify their messages. Either they're all followers or their all leaders?
As it stands, the goof ball in the OP represents OWS.
Are we, again, filling in the gaps? Maybe OWS is right on track.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It could be looked at two ways maybe the latter will matter more even though the first should.

It's ridiculous that it is illegal to use sidewalk chalk on a sidewalk since it washes away, it sounds facist.
This local government is inhibiting capitalism. How is crayola supposed to profit if they can't sell sidewalk chalk?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Thanks for bringing us back to the bottom line. It's a stupid law.
America is quickly becoming overwhelmed with useless regulations that it could be straight out of the movie "Idiocracy".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join