It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only surface image of Titan, a Saturn moon.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Not surprised at all by rounded rocks because Titan has weather. Wind+methane rain= weathering.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Take it easy, everybody. It's okay. I color-corrected it.

I knew it! They landed in Ireland!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931
Huygens Atmospheric Structure Instrument - Check
Doppler Wind Experiment Instruments - Check
Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer - Check
Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer - Check
Aerosol Collector and Pyrolyser - Check
Surface-Science Package - Check

Color camera with tilt/pan capabilities - um... no ?

Seriously, WTF?

Exactly! This is what baffles the hell out of me. Why spend so much money on getting a probe to the surface with little or no imaging capabilities? They should have at least made a 360 panoramic. What they need to do is send a nuclear powered rover there and do some exploring.
edit on 16-12-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lee78

Probably not water being that the surface temp is about 94 K (-290 F)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

Could be liquid methane

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Originally posted by schuyler
There are 37 pages of photos here though many look the same.

So blue-ish sky then?

Just wanted to make sure that NASA was still making planets and moons look like CO2 & sulfur rich atmospheres that look totally inhabitable.

Why would there be a blue sky on Titan of all places?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Why not? Rayleigh scattering is still applicable to every atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

reply to post by Deaf Alien

Not from the surface, maybe high in it's atmosphere a blueish tint could be observed, but not in that thick smog of an atmosphere.

Ask yourself, why do sunsets (from earth's surface) turn yellow, orange, and red.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
according to wikipedia the atmosphere of titan is similar in density to earths. but because of the much lower gravity it extends alot farther.

in addition it has a layer of smog in its upper atmosphere that is orange in color, thats why the surface cant be seen from space.

also the sun is further away, so it would appear smaller and weaker, and whatever wavelengths of light remain after passing through the layer of smog would have to go through the equivalent of 8x earths atmosphere even in mid-day.

so orange/brown sky seems fair to me. but who knows really. its kinda like wearing sunglasses, if theyre on your face you can see through them okay, and your brain adjusts the colors you see so that they all appear normal respective to each other. but if youre looking at someone else wearing them you cant see their eyes at all from pretty much any distance away.

so to the naked eye on the surface its kinda difficult to tell what the sky would look like, but it would be dark for sure.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The sky appears blue everywhere in the solor system, because of the light from the sun..

This is like 9th grade science class stuff...but we still have NASA disinformation of course.. look how well it works..
edit on 16-12-2011 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Yup, because all those astronomers are lying, right?

When an astronomer makes it to Titan and takes a photo of it with a camera I personally give them that I know works right, then I'll believe it.

In other words, nothing anyone can actually do will ever convince you that you're wrong, we're all just lying to you.

Until then, it's just my opinion against theirs, and which of us has the most motivation to make something up?

Wrong. The evidence shows Titan is brownish orange. Do tell, why would an astronomer "make up" a lifeless planet? Do you have any idea how excited we'd be if it looked like earth? Sorry, no, nothing you said flies at all.
edit on 16-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Maybe the next billion dollar probes we send out we can convince them to attach a modern smart phone color camera on it just to humor the masses. Seriously though it can't cost that much to throw a single color camera on a rover can it? No it's not scientific but it might very well boost tax payer support of such missions.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm just curious about the "seas,lakes,and rivers of Hydrocarbons". We've been made to believe that Hydrocarbons are "fossil fuels" meaning that plant and animal life once expired and put under tremondus pressure are turned into oil etc. Yet, this moon has seas, lakes, and rivers of the stuff.

Soooo... Should this infer that Titan once or presently has life or that fossil fuels really have nothing to do with life?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Take it easy, everybody. It's okay. I color-corrected it.

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

Please let me know.
Thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
My only guess is NASA is still trying to change the color, image background and sky and all that jazz. They never release clean, un altered photos.

They can't becauase then some saavy somebody might figure out they are looking at the Bonneville Salt Flats or some dreary remote location, and realize that NASA is probably the biggest money laundering organization in the history of the western world. I'm speculating of course.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wastedown

Fossil fuels on Earth are hydrocarbons that are organic, mostly, in origin.

Hydrocarbons on other planets/moons are thought to undergo photochemical reactions and/or originate from migrating carbon bearing fluids coming upward from the mantle.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Titan is my favorite body in our solar system. It's simultaneously the most familiar and most alien place to Earth that we have. It has an atmosphere, though much thicker, it has seasons, it has lakes, rivers, seas and a weather cycle, although Titan's liquid isn't water, it's liquid methane. Just imagine the kind of alien life that could have developed on a world like this. I really hope NASA decides to return to Titan soon with a mission that can actually explore it. I would love to see a mission that deploys a rover to explore the surface, maybe roll up to the edge of one of those methane lakes and get a sample, and a balloon or glider with a camera to fly around the sky and do some mapping of the surface.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Have you never heard of Photoshop? It's equipped with digital image editing tools like for instance paint brush. You can select a color to turn parts of images to those hues, without changing the surface detail. There are cheaper and free software out there that I believe most people on this forum uses that mimmic some of Photoshop's digital editing tools.

Of course you could get the parameter settings of the filter colors used in the original images, and assemble those in color channels with the proper percentages of the hues and 'build' your natural color image yourself from the source files, but not many people take the time to do that. It's much more fun to fake things, because most people don't care bout reality, they want to believe in something else, because life is just too boring for them to analyze the facts.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
problem with color changing it, you could change the hues however you want. i could make the sky purple and the grass pink. colorizing doesn't show the true color, only what you chose to portray,

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

No it doesn't. It's the shorter wavelength of light as it is absorbed by the gases in the atmosphere then scattered.
Google "Rayleigh scattering"

This same process would not strictly apply to other planets and/or moons due to different make up or lack of atmosphere.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join