It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlling consumerism would be worse than Communism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Every once in awhile I hear people talking about controlling consumerism. The problem these people feel is that people buy too much stuff and that is somehow linked to the environment, some type of transition, and other social issues.

What transition are you talking about here? taking away more american freedoms? Why can't we buy an RV or make our houses bigger? Why do we have to take less vacations? What does taking away the rights of Americans to live comfortably have to do with Global Warming? I don't know if they realize this but America has tons of open land left available before we even have to worry about running out of room. (If that was the point they were trying to make) Do they get sucked into the type of liberal agenda to tie in Consumerism with Global Warming? One has little to do with the other and a different topic altogether. Americans like to consume and all you can do is educate people about the problem. You can't force people to not consume, that's not how the economy works and that worse than communism! At least in communism you get to share (in theory).

So I ask the people against extreme consumerism how would you stop this?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Really?
The movement merely asks" How much crap do you need"? Once we learn holes in our personalities cannot be permanently filled by "things";.and "consumerism" (i.e. buying "things") feeds a dopamine rush that passes quickly with the act of the purchase....

"Consumerism"

Is the reason people spend precious waking hours: toiling at a job they hate to get money to buy crap they don't need.

Then come to places like this and have the blind audacity to proclaim themselves enslaved by a "system" they "hate" by chains of their own making.

George Carlin said it best!

edit on 16-12-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

OK. So, because a few individuals with the psychological disease known as hoarding everyone needs to regulated? I've watched the show before and those people have extreme social and family issues maybe some money problems too. I think the media blew this whole Consumerism is bad thing out of the water and I think most Americans are moderate at it.

I don't want the government telling me how many cars I can buy, how many vacations I can take, and how many kids I can have. Most Americans don't consume because they think stuff will make them happy. It's a reward for all those hours they toil away. As you said. Now of course, with bigger paychecks come bigger and more toys! I don't really see a problem with that and I don't want the government getting involved and saying I can't take my vacation for the good of society! How will it be good for society if I am toiling away these hours without giving myself a break? Working without reward is kinda like slavery.

The government has no right telling me what I should buy.
edit on 16-12-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Listen,consumerism is a problem. Freedom of hoarding stuff is cool, but do understand that those billions of people in China and India and Africa want to hoard the same stuff and there is not enough needless junk for all. It is not government job to say what people can buy or what not, but there an option to influence in the correct direction.
Simply tax much higher things that are excessive and the problem will regulate itself.
One car per family should be enough. Yes,it is more comfortable to have a dozen so you will be able to buy more then one with twice as large taxes.
And so on and on. On all the things that pollute the air/water/food that you and other 7 billion people should have more important freedom to consume without pollution.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Haha you say that government doesn't have the right to tell me what to buy, but yet you say that government should tax things that it deems is excessive. It already does that all too well FYI. That's why we have taxes on everything that is not considered "necessary" by the government. But if you honestly think that raising taxes on "unnecessary" items regulated by the government is the answer. It's not!

What is considered unnecessary? I'm sure the government won't stop at just those things. C'mon.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Haha you say that government doesn't have the right to tell me what to buy, but yet you say that government should tax things that it deems is excessive. It already does that all too well FYI. That's why we have taxes on everything that is not considered "necessary" by the government. But if you honestly think that raising taxes on "unnecessary" items regulated by the government is the answer. It's not!

You can buy whatever you want. As long as you can afford it. And since affording it does not meant only purchase power, but treating the junk after you (or me) throw it away - yes taxes need to be paid on excessive stuff.
Of course what exactly is excessive and what is needed is a good question, and government can abuse but taxing is the only way.
Seriously - just think few dozen years in the future. Purchasing power of third world countries grows, vast majority of population on this planet will be able to buy more stuff. And they will. The planet however remains the same, it is our habitat that provides air/water/food and it is where we throw junk into. With current levels of consumption conditions get worse and worse. Now number of people who will have freedom to buy whatever they want will increase ten-folds in a decade. All the pollution and junkyards will increase ten folds. Need for more food and cleaner water and more living space will increase ten-folds since more people will be able to purchase it.
What is the answer if not influencing it by heavy taxing? Killing off people or waiting until pollution will kill them by itself?
I completely understand that taxing excessive stuff is a problematic thing and can go down the slope if allowed. But frankly it is the only sane alternative. Project Venus is better?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I personally think Project Venus will never work.

But sadly you are probably right, Taxing things will get abused by the ever growing government in the years to come. Hopefully astounding scientific advancements will come out of the millions of people being born right now. You know how paper use has dramatically decreased thanks to cloud technologies and cheaper mobile devices. More technologies will be able to replace certain things that are on the brink of running out in the near future. Although, I don't think we have to worry about running out of basic necessities (at least in first world countries) anytime soon.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
reply to post by 46ACE

OK. So, because a few individuals with the psychological disease known as hoarding everyone needs to regulated? I've watched the show before and those people have extreme social and family issues maybe some money problems too. I think the media blew this whole Consumerism is bad thing out of the water and I think most Americans are moderate at it.

I don't want the government telling me how many cars I can buy, how many vacations I can take, and how many kids I can have. Most Americans don't consume because they think stuff will make them happy. It's a reward for all those hours they toil away. As you said. Now of course, with bigger paychecks come bigger and more toys! I don't really see a problem with that and I don't want the government getting involved and saying I can't take my vacation for the good of society! How will it be good for society if I am toiling away these hours without giving myself a break? Working without reward is kinda like slavery.

The government has no right telling me what I should buy.
edit on 16-12-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

Hello ? Anyone home?

Where once did I mention regulation of any kind?
Its all self directed;If you buy less crap you have to spend less time and money; to store and maintain it, less time working to pay for it. Less can really equal a better quality of life:
Keeping up withe Jones? the ones living an upper middle class existence on a middle class income and lots of credit?
Forget it: They're out on their asses or underwater on their lives most likely right now.

"screw the govt(i.e."regulation") " its got nothing to do with it in fact they WANT you to "go shopping!".
I don't want to regulate anybody!

If you want to buy a hummer and a jetski to use one weekend a year because you are working extra to pay them off;You are welcome to.
Nobody thinks you're cool.I think you missed the point entirely.
Do you own your things or do they own you?"

When I was an active duty ssgt (e-5) I had the hots for a bmw 3series sedan; one day on base a 3striper(e-4) drives up with one;it occurred to me:HEY! I could go down and buy one with one (two week) paycheck going towards the loan; and the second towards insurance and maintenance; Then I woke up and saw the utter farce in that kind of spending.

we both worked fulltime saved ; paid off our house; vehicles; and "consumer" debt. I quit my last "factory maintenance (i.e "real") job" in 2005 to be around for a family need and haven't gone back.(don't need to.) I'm 51. Work your azz to the bone and blow it all on toys..whatever...

edit on 16-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join