It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Investigators Rip Sheriff Arpaio in Report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

DOJ Investigators Rip Sheriff Arpaio in Report

www.courthousenews.com

PHOENIX (CN) - The Maricopa County Sheriff's Department under Joe Arpaio racially profiles Latinos, denies basic rights to non-English-speaking prisoners, retaliates against its critics and has a "chronic culture of disregard for basic legal and constitutional obligations," the U.S. Justice Department found in an ongoing investigation of America's self-described "toughest sheriff."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org
www.cbsnews.com
www.foxnews.com
www.washingtontimes.com

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If Arpaio or his men arrested even 1 American Citizen under suspicion of being illegal, than he has broken the law, fundamentally violated these people's civil rights, and has set back the justice system in AZ at least 400 years.

There is no excuse, not one, that justifies violating an American citizen's constitutional protections based solely on their skin color.

www.courthousenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
From what I've seen, read, and heard about him, he's a petty, dictatorial, sociopathic, racist power-tripping scumbag who thinks the Constitution and Bill of Rights doesn't apply to him.

But the rightwingers seem to love him because he represents their values.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
people get arrested under suspicion of committing a crime everyday. why get your panties in a bunch over this particular crime?

i listen to police scanners all of the time, and when a crime is reported, they usually try to have it broadcast with a basic profile.

if a black man robs a store and is on the loose, they usually put out an announcement over the airwaves something like "on the lookout for adult black male" followed by a particular area where the crime was commited or where he may be suspected to be. if you happen to fit the profile you can surely be arrested and then promptly released once your identity has been confirmed.

its always been that way. i dont see how this particular crime is any different. just because more people are doing it doesnt make it special.

face it, the only reason you focus on this one crime and ignore all others like it is because its trendy.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

If Arpaio or his men CONVICTED even 1 American Citizen under suspicion of being illegal, than he has broken the law, fundamentally violated these people's civil rights, and has set back the justice system in AZ at least 400 years.

There, I fixed it for you and I think now we can all agree. Especially if the "illegal" part of "Illegal alien" was the secondary offense to say, DUI, or rape, murder, etc...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

There, I fixed it for you and I think now we can all agree. Especially if the "illegal" part of "Illegal alien" was the secondary offense to say, DUI, or rape, murder, etc...

No fixing required. I meant what I said. If even ONE American Citizen was arrested for being an Illegal alien. Then Arpaio has violated that person's rights. He should be held accountable. The police shouldn't be allowed to run around arresting American Citizens on SUSPICION of being an illegal with the ONLY evidence being the color of their skin.

Why would any red blooded American be willing to throw away their civil rights like that? Why are some people just so willing to give up liberty?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon

If Arpaio or his men CONVICTED even 1 American Citizen under suspicion of being illegal, than he has broken the law, fundamentally violated these people's civil rights, and has set back the justice system in AZ at least 400 years.

Now with that correction, I can drop a note agreeing entirely.
I believe you found another of those common sense approaches that are anything but common. lol... Change a word here...or there...and the end result is the same, but everyone somehow feels better about getting there.

If the Feds enforced immigration like they meant it, Joe never would have had to anyway.

To Hauntwok:

No fixing required. I meant what I said. If even ONE American Citizen was arrested for being an Illegal alien.

The law of the land right now states that it is a federal crime to enter or remain in this nation without legal immigration status or status pending a determination. You can rail against the law till the cows come home, but that is the law. It's also important to note right about here, how Federal Law does not provide for misdemeanors. Fed = Felony. So, it's actually an accurate, if not politically correct statement to say that illegal aliens are not only illegal, but felony criminals simply by standing on American soil and doing absolutely nothing more.

Blame Sheriff Joe for over-stepping his jurisdiction as a County Sheriff assisting Federal Immigration under a program the Feds created themselves.....but the LAW he's basing his actions on wasn't of his making and as much as Bush/Obama have both tried to pretend it isn't...it IS still the LAW governing immigration status in the United States.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So it would be to you for you to sit in a county jail for up to 10 years waiting trial as long as you weren't "convicted" of being an illegal?

It's all well and good, you just sit around waiting in jail for them to eventually get to you, then as long as your not convicted, then you go on your merry way?

Meanwhile you loose your job, you have to get your car out of impound, your wife leaves you, your kids grow up without you, but you weren't convicted, so it's all good.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
But the rightwingers seem to love him because he represents their values.

We're still buying into the left vs. right hate paradigm?

As stated above, people are arrested on "suspicion" of committing a crime every day. Since you want to bash "right-wingers", cue Obama and let's discuss his plans for arresting and detaining "indefinitely" - those who are "suspected" in a crime...expanding a Bush (yes "right-winger") policy.

SMDH - Wake the F up, man!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i dont understand.

what rights has he violated?

are you suggesting we do away with profiling alltogether?

what are they supposed to say the next time somebody robs a bank and is on the run? be on the lookout for human bank robber? gee....that really narrows it down....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Interesring how the feds are filing a civil rights report on the same sheriff investigating obamas birth certificate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

So it would be to you for you to sit in a county jail for up to 10 years waiting trial as long as you weren't "convicted" of being an illegal?

It's all well and good, you just sit around waiting in jail for them to eventually get to you, then as long as your not convicted, then you go on your merry way?

Meanwhile you loose your job, you have to get your car out of impound, your wife leaves you, your kids grow up without you, but you weren't convicted, so it's all good.

if you can prove your identity you cant be held more than 24 hours.

lets cut the exaggerating.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Just an observation that happens to be true.

Most rightwingers DO love the guy.

I'm not left or right, but I recognize a power-tripping sociopath when I see one.

He enjoys humiliating people and having control over them, and he does love to profit from prisoner labor.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UnrelentingLurker

"Prove".

Aye, there's the rub...prove to whose satisfaction?

And if your proofs aren't accepted?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Who exactly is left sitting 10 years without a trial? Putting aside the law JUST passed which would seem to make that a real possibility now....where else have you found documented examples of that happening based on immigration status? ( Clear case law examples...where I can start pulling court summary transcripts this afternoon based on your citation on the example.
)

If one were to invoke their right to a speedy trial, it's a very short process indeed, as I understand the Criminal Justice System to operate. No one wants that and it's turned down by the accused as routinely as pleading not guilty...but there ya go.

Now IF someone...ANYONE..inside the U.S. Justice system has sat for 10 years without process on immigration issues ALONE....then I'd say there are several levels of accountability and heads that need to roll at every stage of the process. That is..again..assuming the individual sitting there did nothing in the case to prolong the process.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
and he does love to profit from prisoner labor.

How does HE profit from prisoner labor? Do you mean that Maricopa County profits from the prisoner labor?

FFS - what in the hell is wrong with that?

Nah - we couldn't ever make prisoners help maintain the costs that we endure as tax payers because of them.

Nah, the prison pet system doesn't save the county millions of dollars every year and help rehabilitate prisoners and dogs.

Nah, the prisoners shouldn't be required to do anything but sit in their cells and watch Judge Judy and play spades all day.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I LOVE this examination into the biases and horrible actions of Joe Arpaio.

As a former resident of Arizona, some decade or so ago, I saw him as a bigoted disaster even then....the crows come home to roost (as they say) eventually....

GOOD on the justice system to seek out and eventually prosecute the evil ones.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by HauntWok

I LOVE this examination into the biases and horrible actions of Joe Arpaio.

As a former resident of Arizona, some decade or so ago, I saw him as a bigoted disaster even then....the crows come home to roost (as they say) eventually....

GOOD on the justice system to seek out and eventually prosecute the evil ones.

This is just another DOJ witch hunt that is intended to smear one of the best sheriffs in
Arizona.

Sheriff Arpaio will weather this storm no problem.

As far as breaking the law, that would be the Fast & Furious Scandal.

Eric Holder belongs in prison.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

So your ok giving up liberty for some temporary security?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Interesring how the feds are filing a civil rights report on the same sheriff investigating obamas birth certificate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I couldn't help but think this as retaliation by the DOJ for that very reason.

Sheriff Arpaio has been at this for many years but is only now being questioned? Hmmmm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join