It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who or what is God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Deep thoughts from Darryl Sloan about who or what is God.

Darryl Sloan:
Discussing the idea of God from the perspectives of monotheism (God is a being), pantheism (God is the universe) and atheism (God is the Big Bang singularity). What light does modern science shed on this age-old question, especially in light of the motion of galaxies and the nature of energy?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Science has pretty much shown that God is not an old Grandpa Man who lives up in the clouds. I think they've pretty much put the kibosh on that notion. We've looked at clouds from both sides now, and there's no old man to be seen. Also, none of our telescopes have discovered the pearly gates of Heaven, and there's been some doubt raised as to just how a large structure like a gate could be supported by a foundation of clouds. There's certainly no precedent for that here on Earth.

Everything else, though, science has pretty much left up for grabs. Aside from quantum duality, science doesn't do well with things which are fundamentally paradoxical, such as an all-powerful, all-encompassing entity which feels a "need" to create.

Apparently a lot of people still need witch doctors to give them answers for that.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Personally If I were to try and find and figure out what could be god in the abstract sense...it would be "the space between" or the "absolute void". The reason I say this is because the void is the one thing that everything is in contact with and cannot A-void being part of. Space/void is everywhere and in everything, it cannot be measured, quantified or calculated...we try but they are all illusory man made constructs that chop the void up into finite pieces and this is the absolute best that we can truly understand it.

The space between you fingers the space between atoms the space between electrons the space between particles/molecules etc this is where all of existence lies is in a volume of void as ironic as that sounds.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
God and the idea of god was conceived, grown and perpetuated in the brain of man—nowhere else. God is an idea created by objective human thought, and the only way it can exist is in the minds of men, or in fables. These ideas, imaginings or dreams are manifested in individual creativity and individual reason—that's where your god lies.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Science sheds no light on the nature of God or even whether God is real. However, there IS a meeting point between mystical traditions and some discoveries of modern science that provides spectacular, rationally unexplainable evidence of a transcendental source to the universe, for it reveals a mathematical design that is common to the sacred geometries of these tradition, which encodes the very nature of matter and DNA and which connects them to the seven musical scales used for hundreds of years in church plainsong. It can be found (with patience and much mental effort) at:
smphillips.8m.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Science has pretty much shown that God is not an old Grandpa Man who lives up in the clouds. I think they've pretty much put the kibosh on that notion. We've looked at clouds from both sides now, and there's no old man to be seen. Also, none of our telescopes have discovered the pearly gates of Heaven, and there's been some doubt raised as to just how a large structure like a gate could be supported by a foundation of clouds. There's certainly no precedent for that here on Earth.

Everything else, though, science has pretty much left up for grabs. Aside from quantum duality, science doesn't do well with things which are fundamentally paradoxical, such as an all-powerful, all-encompassing entity which feels a "need" to create.

Apparently a lot of people still need witch doctors to give them answers for that.

Thanks. Now I'm lurking around ATS with that song in my head.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Science has pretty much shown that God is not an old Grandpa Man who lives up in the clouds.

Really. Science has shown that???

Sorry to break it to you. Science has no say on theology..

As for the idiotic response by the Christian to the question.... It's sad that so little people even understand the bible that they daily study.

God is everything. The very word Elohim means "powers". It's gematria is 86, the same as HaTeva - nature. The powers are the physical and spiritual forces of creation, and nature is their manifestation. They are one and the same; and this is a name for God.

This is basic, rudimentary theology. God cannot be anything other then everything, otherwise He isn't God. Does this moron not ask himself the question: what is this vacuum that creation takes place in? If its not God, it must then be GREATER than God, since God exists WITHIN it. Thus, the only possible conclusion the human mind can ever know, is a paradoxical one; God is everything, yet he is beyond everything. We exist as separate beings, but were also at one with Him in His essence. The creator is one aspect, and we are another. Together, as giver and receiver, we exist within the womb of God.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Is there and entity? Most likely. Does it play a role in human affairs? Obviously not. Does it think of humans as any greater thing than a blade of grass? Obviously not. Did it throw all different things into the mix to see what happend? Most likely.

I think we like all things in the universe are energy. We come form energy and take shape but remain energy and then when we die we just go back to being another form of energy. NO reunions no lessons to ponder. Just return to energy and next time I might find myself in a ball of plutonium instead. Not that I'd be aware of it.
edit on 16-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

You're probably better off not making any assertions if you aren't aware of the deeper biblical metaphysics.

Does it play a role in human affairs? Obviously not

Of course He does. And how would it be obvious? Do you know how many people have experienced a life they felt has been led by God? Is that not an interference with human affairs? Things that are completely beyond chance happen everyday; to me, and to others. I myself can testify to the reality of Gods interference in human affairs.

At a deeper level, God is the creator. He built this world, and sustains the world. The world cannot exist without his constant willing it into existence. Thus, every aspect of reality is contingent on the will of God.

Also, God can be understood in two different frameworks, and these two frameworks refer to two different kinds of people, as well as a focus of many different kinds of religions. They are: the impersonal and the personal, or, the absolute and the particular. Before creation, before God has made any movement within His being, is God in his impersonal state relative to man. This is what is commonly referred to as the Godhead. This is what Hinduism seeks - liberation from creation, and what Buddhists seek, in a non-theistic sort of way. Gnostics and Sufis as well seek attachment to God at this level; in Christian esoterics, the Godhead is called the father.

The other level of God, which paradoxically, is the deeper level of God, is God post creation - the Creator who created ex-nihilo. This is God in His personal state. This is God in his temporal aspect, which means, this is God as the director of history.

The entire book of genesis contains the archetypal dynamic of God through history. Creation is to last 6000 years, each 1000 years paralleling a day of creation. Each day of creation symbolizes, in Kabbalistic terms, one of the lower divine sefiroth - or energies. Thus, each 1000 years of history symbolizes the maturation of that divine energy in human evolution. Each generation embodies a more mature and evolved form then its ancestor, and each human being, contains within himself, the memory of previous generations.

According to the Hebrew/Kabbalistic calendar, we are in the year 5772, meaning, we have passed through the divine archetypes of Chesed through Hod, and we are at the latter period of Yesod. When yesod is fully mature, the era of Shabbath - the messianic era - will begin.

Even if one follows the course of history in this context, one discovers amazing things. The Europeans, for instance, didn't conquer the Americas until the sphere of Hod was fully mature (The americas correspond, since all aspects of creation, both temporal and spatial reflect the sephirotic dynamic, to the spheres of Netzach and Hod), meaning, it was time for the sphere of Tifereth - Europe - to make contact with Netach - north america, to channel its influence into the lower sefiroth, to prepare for the golden age of Shabbath - rest.

History, and human affairs, are entirely under the control God, via his angelic emissaries.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

You're probably better off not making any assertions if you aren't aware of the deeper biblical metaphysics.

Who the hell do you think you are? You have no true idea of who or what God is and my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

The OP does not say "Who or what is God and you must agree with the bible" People like you are the very reason the God squad makes peoples skin crawl.

If anything. Thew biblical aspect has made people like you the most ignorant on the planet. You don't see that ,apart from common sense and the human ability of basic observation and the fact that most people grow out of fairytales, it's the very attitude you just displayed that causes you to fight a losing battle. You're hanging on to a dead story.

You are probably better off getting over yourself and living some kind of life before you find out that you've been reading a book on the greatest con job in history and you're to old to do anything that's worth anything and not worry about telling people that their perception of god is wrong simply because it doesn't match yours.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I really don't understand how quoting holy scriptures automatically makes it correct... its like in 1000 years, people on forums have discussion and started quoting Harry Potter's(which has been re written again and again) book and try to fit their modern world things in...

to OP, god is just a man made creation, humans need something powerful than us, something need to control us and order us. Some case it is used as an imaginary friend to unburden all your troubles. IMO it is something we invented to rely on so we are not lost, that doesn't mean it becomes the truth.. well from the looks of it.. lot of people think it is the truth.
edit on 12/16/2011 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Who the hell do you think you are? You have no true idea of who or what God is and my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

Well, I'm giving you a superior understanding of the Bible.

The Bible is a book of metaphysics. If you don't know its inner meaning, than you don't have much of an idea of WHAT the Biblical perspective is.

The OP does not say "Who or what is God and you must agree with the bible" People like you are the very reason the God squad makes peoples skin crawl.

Yes, I'm sure you've encountered people like me before.

The typical ignorant Christian bible thumper is quite different from me. He would probably disagree with much of what I'm talking about. His understanding of the bible is that of a laymen - what he reads he takes literally. Even If he can read Hebrew, he still probably doesn't know how to make sense of the language that he is reading, because he's not intellectually able - unless he's well educated - to discern the deeper archetypal symbolism.

I know you may not like my tone, and it may sound arrogant, but it is equally arrogant to say

Does it play a role in human affairs? Obviously not.
how would you know? You're statement is just as positive as mine. But you're speaking from ignorance, while i'm speaking from a deeper, educated understanding of the Bible. Not knowing anything about the bible, or the fact that it's a book of metaphysics, how would you know God doesn't interfere in human affairs? What I just explained above about the divine energies - that's completely true. But then again, it requires some self-knowledge to understand how that is so.

If anything. Thew biblical aspect has made people like you the most ignorant on the planet.

My library is filled with books on Hinduism, Buddhism/Zen, Sufism, Gnosticism, Christianity, Native American spirituality, Shinto, Sikhism, Occultism, Theosophy, and many books on philosophy, both social and theological...

So how am i ignorant??

You're hanging on to a dead story.

You have much to learn.
edit on 16-12-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

God is? A figment of your
Imagination.
Sadly though this form of Imagination has killed Millions, and has the potential to kill
millions more.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Blue Shift

Science has pretty much shown that God is not an old Grandpa Man who lives up in the clouds.

Really. Science has shown that???
Sorry to break it to you. Science has no say on theology..

Okay, then I take it back. Science has shown pretty conclusively that there is apparently no old white man with a long white beard and robe who lives in the clouds. Clouds simply don't have the density to support something the size of a man for any length of time unless they are powered. Now, if they ever find and old man in the clouds, then they will have to conduct tests to determine if he is in fact God.

The problem, of course, is that God is inherently undefinable and paradoxical, and can't really be used in a scientific proof. Unless you count semantics as a science, which I don't think it qualifies.

edit on 16-12-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Well, I'm giving you a superior understanding of the Bible.

No you're projecting a superior attitude born out of ignorance installed in you by being fooled into believing that you're Gods chosen. There's a difference.

Here's news. If there is God it doesn't know who you are. It doesn't know you exists. It knows life exists but you are not on its radar because you are just one of billions of things in its universe.

Be gone with you. My mind relies on a greater stimulant than you offer. I yawn in light of your post. You just chant what all creepy God squaders chant.

Nothing new here.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If there was a consious creative force behind the creation of the universe an reality as we perseive it,We have as much chance of understanding it,As a single celled amobea could understand the internet.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecossiepossie
If there was a consious creative force behind the creation of the universe an reality as we perseive it,We have as much chance of understanding it,As a single celled amobea could understand the internet.

And it was at that point that the Gnostic Jesus laughed at his disciples for the pointlessness of their prayers, and told them that since such an entity is so far beyond our understanding, why don't we just concentrate on being relatively nice to each other on Earth, and making things slightly less of a horror for the short, brutal time we're alive.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
From my point of view all is one. I have to be at exactly this point to evolve to become what I will become in the future.I will not say it is god but there is something guiding me.

How can I explain syncronicity to such an degree that there is no doubt to someone who have not experianced it and thinks there is nothing looking over over your evolution and thinks everything i random? How do I explain how it is to temporaily loose the ego?. How can you make anybody belive in the experiance of literaly knocking three times on the door to heaven?

I was going awakened thru new age book with a buddistic mind and god lets me thru the door as told in the Christian Bible. The Religon I hated with a vengence and thought was just evil manipulation. That really screwed up my mind for a while and made me realise all paths lead to the same evolutionary goals. Enlightment and after that the lesson really starts.

Whatever the truth is I will probably be wrong about some details but who cares. God don't. If he did then he would have left me in the hell that me and the world around had creasted for me. I was never religous. I wen't from not having any real religous faith at all to knowing there is something more. The times I have talked to god I have made it perfectly clear that eternal hell for any soul is not an option. I will not allow it whatever some stupid text, priest or whatever says. I will fight any manipulation and bullying no matter how strong. In one way I don't really follow god I follow the moral of my soul, I follow the devine ideals of total equality and evolution of all.

I am still healing from my experiances in this life and my mind is not as well as my body and soul, because it still can feel a lot of hate and rage and anger against the system.

I wish you luck in your evolution and you make your own choices. There is some advantages to being enlightened. No fear, your mind become more harmonious, you feel chi/mana that make your body/soul/mind happy and increased sense of smell, taste and touch. I like being one of the shiny happy people. Love a soulbrother. Namaste.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

God does not exist.
End of story.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join