It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Cosmic Ray (Neutron Monitor) data fluctuation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here we go:

This data comes from the Moscow Neutron Monitor. So far I have four explanations for this data:
1) Equipment malfunction
2) Neutron Bomb tested around the observatory
3) The sun is bombarding us with neutron energy, bit strange as the UV radiation is gone suddenly silent :

4) The radiation comes from outside the solar system, and we are in trouble..

Data links:
helios.izmiran.rssi.ru...

Not very sure hot to interpret the data, and what the implications are.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
How often does neutron radiation go into a steady oscillation like that? And how often does UV from the sun look like that?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
A reach but maybe its related to recent celestial (comet) activities. Not sure also how to interpret the data that well. My 3 cents

edit on 12/16/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I watched the Neutron Data for about a year now, never seen any fluctuation like this one despite of the increased solar activity . Why I pointed at the UV data was to show that the sun was quite calm lately . We are heading for the solar maximum therefore the solar activity should increase. The sun just did the opposite in the last two days , getting dead quiet . Yet we have that unusual spike in neutrino.. strange!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi Romanian,

This is definitely the most interesting thread I have seen in a whole year on any forum or news-source.
Congrats , star and flag well earned.
Although I am not a scientist I will try to look in to this matter.
Thanks

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Maybe it's normal? Here is another perspective from a much larger date range:

neutronm.bartol.udel.edu...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pokoia
Hi Romanian,

This is definitely the most interesting thread I have seen in a whole year on any forum or news-source.
Congrats , star and flag well earned.
Although I am not a scientist I will try to look in to this matter.
Thanks

Agreed.

Thanks Romanian, it is threads like these that keep me coming back to ATS so the resident 'experts' in these fields can help us all learn something new each day.

(Edit to add)
Well, looks like part of the question may have just been solved by TrueAmerican.

edit on 12/16/2011 by TrueSuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

hey Josephus!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Interesting graph. I expected to see neutron radiation increasing during the solar maximum, but your graph shows exactly the opposite - when the number of sun-spots is increased, we see a serious drop in neutrino. Could that be caused by the solar wind , putting more pressure during maximum of activity and creating a protective sphere?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I forgot to add, the graphs from TrueAmerican are measuring counts/hours/100 , having a maximum of 4750 "units" . Not sure what the measurement for the Russian observatory is..

Moscow neutron monitor variation for last 30 days corresponds to 10-20 GeV primary cosmic rays. Updated every hour.

edit on 16-12-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Got it . Same observatory, same units being used:

It looks like some variation is being recorded, but not sure what the "0 %" means. Anyway, the historical data is here, obviously the data in the last two days are not in the normal pattern. I do not have more time to play with the datya, but here we have more links:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

I'm not a scientist but this does interest me.....However can some clever person help me here ??

Neutrino Radiation...... what's it about?
What is the relevance of this thread?
Why does the sun emit it and what is the significane of this 'Neutrino' radiation from outside the solar system ?

Thanks
in advance....... i'm looking for education here

PDUK

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Ok, yeah, after seeing that, considering for the last forty years there has been no measurements above 0, and now all of a sudden we're hitting +4?

Someone U2U Phage, maybe he has an idea.

But ok, curious now... now you get my S&F for interesting.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Just was going to post this there is certainly an increase at this time which needs to have an source hopefully as said the sun lol:

That is for this year.

Again as you said I was going to add its difficult to compare the range of these results, as the rest of the worlds monitoring of this is in BV/Hr wheras the Russian observatory uses an %, am digging to convert that into hourly units to see if the data is the same as being recorded elsewhere or if this is specific to Moscow/Russia.

Looking more likely just normal fluctuation s but cant rely on an "picture" for that need to convert both Russian and current other data to the same units to compare with now and historically.

Also as we have not hit the solar maximum and the sun as the OP points out is "quiet" then we would expect more cosmic rays from space as the solar wind does not blow them away or protect the earth from them, So at times of low solar activity we should see an increase in Cosmic Rays and also when at full activity (cme's and such like firing protons to earth). What needs to be ascertained is either of the following way of Mean

1 The time and speed of increase normal?
2 The amount being measured, again within normal ranges?
3 Translated measurements into onne comparable and accepted format from US/world/Russia

On the case.

Kind Regards,

Elf
edit on 16-12-2011 by MischeviousElf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I guess it is better to use historical data from one source then? Why do they not agree to use the same way of measuring huh!

In regards to the effects on humans:
en.wikipedia.org...

Aeroplanes are also designed to protect people from cosmic rays, the new composite ones will have a metal mash added , so they take it serious too.

health:

The effects of space radiation, as with other ionizing radiation, involve direct and indirect damage to DNA and these can result in acute and chronic health effects.

Safety:

COSMIC rays are being considered by air safety investigators as a possible cause of a Qantas Airbus plunging twice in quick succession on its way from Singapore to Perth in October last year. Read more: www.theage.com.au...

More:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The process of a cosmic ray particle colliding with particles in our atmosphere and disintegrating into smaller pions, muons, and the like, is called a cosmic ray shower. These particles can be measured on the Earth’s surface by neutron monitors.

Neutron Monitors. Ground-based neutron monitors detect variations in the approximately 500 Mev to 20 GeV portion of the primary cosmic ray spectrum.
(Note: 1 Mega electron Volt = 1.60217646 × 10-13 joules)

wattsupwiththat.com...

So looks like we are getting hit by a cosmic ray shower? Maybe?

But why has this not occurred at this level in the last, very long time?

And oh, I did U2U Phage, maybe he'll school us all. Again.
edit on Fri Dec 16th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Nice observation OP! S&F

this is good topic to stay alert...
edit on 16-12-2011 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow that is quite the reading. NOAA or space weather isn't showing anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps it's localized. Or NOAA and space weather are showing the Incorrect reading. Perhaps its from outside the sole system. Wake of a neutron star or pulsar. Wish there was more data on the graph. Guess time will tell. A positive 4 spike is rather odd.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: Prodictive text on phone goofing things up

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well I fond this on wiki

Solar cycles In a process termed “solar modulation” the Sun and solar wind alter the intensity and energy spectrum of Galactic cosmic rays that enter the solar system. When the Sun is active, fewer Galactic cosmic rays reach Earth than during times when the Sun is quiet. For this reason, Galactic cosmic rays follow an 11-year cycle like the Sun, but in the opposite direction: High solar activity corresponds to low cosmic rays, and vice versa.

So more sun-activity gives lees neutrons over here, but these are serious spikes.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Makes sense solar activity is down, cosmic radiation from outside solar system jumps. The heliosphere is weakened.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join