It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's missing hard drives raise questions over government records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Romney's missing hard drives raise questions over government records

It appears it was legal for Mitt Romney's aides, on their way out of the governor's office in Massachusetts in 2006, to write personal checks for $65 each to buy the hard drives from their state office computers, taking with them government emails and other records of his administration, including information about the birth of the Romney health care insurance mandate. It was legal for the Romney administration to spend $97,000 in public money to swap out computers and email servers, making sure that emails never got into the hands of the public, journalists, historians and, not incidentally as Romney himself points out, his opponents in the 2012 presidential campaign. And the Romney administration got legal permission, Reuters reported Thursday evening, to destroy 150 boxes of government records. But illegality is not the only test, say advocates of open government, who wonder when the public will insist that all candidates for high office do more than give lip service to transparency.

Nice to see with Romney there will be no transparency in government. What better way to cover up what you did in office than to buy up the hard drives and destroy them? In a way I hope he does get elected because I wouldn't mind getting a few hard drives from area 51 and the CIA.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It's funny but if I were to run a large business or organization and then went about destroying every trace of an entire category of records, I'd be burned at the regulatory stake for my obvious attempt to evade this law or that...or hide wrong doing..whatever the accusation wound up being, it would be made...to be sure. No one would ever give a normal Joe the benefit of the doubt that anything but the worst motives were behind such a wanton act of destruction.

So why do we continue to tolerate it from our elected leaders??? I'm so sick of the law being a completely secondary issue once you are elected or appointed above a certain point. We HAVE laws to cover this, as far as I know. It's just a matter of enforcing them. Start doing it, TO THE LETTER, and without exception to R and D sides for guilt.

Destroy a record, go to prison. How about that as a slogan for the election?
We can't fix problems if their mere existence went through a shredder!
edit on 16-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Destroy a record, go to prison. How about that as a slogan for the election?
We can't fix problems if their mere existence went through a shredder!

Well said! It's high time the damn government starts being held accountable just like a business.

join