It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
R.I.P.

That said, he is probably finding out that theres no such thing as a "dead atheist".

R.I.P again.

edit on 16-12-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Indeed, while it may appear disingenuous and ironic to use the phrase Rest In Peace, i use it merely as a term to express my own sadness and as a farewell to a man i admired.

I could equally have said "Enjoy Oblivion" but that would be illogical.

Maybe i should have said Goodbye and Thank-you Christopher Hitchens.

Ultimately these are questions to which the answers lay beyond our reach, Christopher never denied the possibility of a soul, his was a war against Religion created by man about a jealous and wrathful God who loves us really but needs our money, who would command us to be cruel to our brothers and sisters etc etc.

Cosmic..
edit on 16-12-2011 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
He was wthout a doubt my favorite atheist.
I wonder if he had a change of heart about God when he began to see those magnificent lights and his departed loved ones standing there to greet him.
Or maybe he thought about God when the devil began biting at his ass.

Sorry for that last comment, but I'm dead serious.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I wonder if he had a change of heart about God when he began to see those magnificent lights and his departed loved one standing there to greet him.

No. He stated unequivocally that he'd be an Atheist to death. I recall him discussing the idea only recently.

I'm sure the religious will claim he converted on his death bed, as they do everyone else

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Is it really appropriate to say "rest in peace" to Christopher Hitchens? He did not believe in an afterlife and so I don't think he will be doing any "resting" in peace or otherwise. According to him he is simply inert and lost his usefulness as a living breathing human. It is a pity that but nothing to get misty over. Maybe we would do better to ask living people to refrain from digging up his grave and scattering his bones. Not that it might make any sort of difference to Mr. Hitchens but it would keep bones from littering up other peoples property. Even he might appreciate that...if he had a soul that knew the difference.

When in Rome, you do as the Romans do.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

See my post above relating to R.I.P.

I do wish some people would read the whole thread with all posts before making a comment on something which has already been covered.

And for the record Hitch was an Anti-theist, he did not believe in God or organized religion, he never denied the possibility of a soul or energy being as any physicist will tell you that information is never lost merely transferred.

And as Hitch would say "Who are you to tell me what is appropriate ??"

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The first time I came across him was when he did that debate on the BBC defending his good friend Stephen Fry (Lord Melchett in The Black Adder series). I love his style. Unrelenting, ferocious, well-reasoned, consistent and well backed up with humanistic observations. Thanks OP, I hadn't seen this in the online papers today.

ETA Slightly related to his ideas. A report was published today called The Deetman Report which details the systematic sexual abuse of at least 1000 children here in Holland by the Roman Catholic Church and the covering up of that fact by local Bishops. Even the churchgo-ers have been shocked by this and according to the local papers, many "believers" now distrust the Church and are questioning their beliefs in this corrupt and evil system. Hopefully we will see some prosecutions in the near future and a large religious shift in outdated idiotic ideas.

In other words, Christopher was right!

Link to English version of report
edit on 16/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hootsmanwheresmaheid

I wonder what this Atheist is thinking now he's in spirit, moron!
edit on 16-12-2011 by Hootsmanwheresmaheid because: (no reason given)

Nice language from the god fearing! Remember according to your beliefs God is watching you and can see into your heart. You are going downstairs!

As for CH he is thinking nothing. He is dead. That's what happens and he knew it (and so do I).

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
R.I.P Chris,

I enjoyed reading your books and you had one of the most amazing vocabularies out there. I feel that I also possess a fairly large vocabulary, at least until I started diving in to Christopher's books.

With the state of the world a it is currently; I feel that this may be the only time that I could say that quite possibly: Christopher is in a better place now.

Sorry but just had too....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by notmyrealname

Comic made specifically to address Christopher Hitchens' death.

edit on 12/16/2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop

Originally posted by Alxandro
I wonder if he had a change of heart about God when he began to see those magnificent lights and his departed loved one standing there to greet him.

No. He stated unequivocally that he'd be an Atheist to death. I recall him discussing the idea only recently.

I'm sure the religious will claim he converted on his death bed, as they do everyone else

Yes, I get that.
What I am referring to is not "death" itself but rather, the transistion that occurs right after.
The same stage Steve Jobs experienced when he blurted his last words, "wow, wow, wow ---"

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Ahh here's one (despicable religious zealot) driving by to name call and profess a knowledge of something that is merely a guess

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I got to meet Hitchens, Dawkins, and Dennett at one of the AAI conventions in DC a few years ago. Daniel Dennett was sitting on a bench at the airport as I waited for my hotel tram. He was very gracious and friendly when I said hello. Mr. Hitchens was near the back most of the time with a tasty drink, and was in great form for conversation.

The entire experience was wonderful and I'm happy I took the time to spend with them. I am thankful to anyone who has spent their time trying to increase consciousness and make people think... no matter which aspects I do or don't agree with.

Thank you Mr. Hitchens... now you know the answer we're all still sitting on the edge of our seat waiting to discover.

Namaste!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Rest well Mr. Hitchens.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Your God is not great. (argumentative)

I have heard him speak many times and the intimacies of his belief I do not claim to know. You apparently were very close to the man and so are aware of his innermost thoughts and beliefs. It is not my habit to speak ill of the dead and I have nothing against Mr. Hitchens. I do think it is funny to say rest in peace to a man who is dead. He is not resting. What else he is doing while dead only Mr. Hitchens knows. The rest of us guess - as he did so often. One of us is clearly wrong, I can tell you that much for sure.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
damn he was my hero in so many ways

im gonna miss his rants. and ray comfort lives

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by Astyanax

I know what you mean..

..i was and still am awaiting the torrent of hate to spew forth from the religious zealots who frequent ATS with their mindless belief systems.

Cosmic..

Yes! Salute to an intelligent thinker.

Just because one has intelligence - - doesn't mean they think.

Now I'm bowing out before the holier-than-thou idiots show up.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Areyoupeopleinsane

Pure common sense, if you look around the Earth, look at the planets and wonder at the Universe and you dont see a creator then there is something far wrong with you........p.s. No religious zealot here!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hootsmanwheresmaheid

Sorry, I don’t see it. And tell you what, I’ve looked pretty closely.

edit on 18/12/11 by Astyanax because: of wrong reply to wrong post – sorry!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

@Hootsmanwheresmaheid,

Please note that when you sign your name after a comment you should leave at least one blank line. Your post should have read:

I wonder what this Atheist is thinking now he's in spirit,

moron!

If death is death, then he's oblivious to it. If life goes on, he's rightly thinking "I can walk tall in spirit because I lived as a man and not as an ignorant sheep" or words to that affect.

R.I.P

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join