It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birmingham University protest ban attacked as 'aggressive and censorious'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Birmingham University protest ban attacked as 'aggressive and censorious'

www.guardian.co.uk

On Thursday it was reported that Birmingham University had obtained a high court injunction banning all occupation-style protests on its 250-acre campus for one year. The injunction prevents "persons unknown" from staging any "occupational-style protest" for 12 months unless they obtain prior written permission from university management
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/16/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I held back on posting this , because I was sure someone would , anyway , used the search function and no posts.
This is very disturbing and the ramifications across the UK could be detrimental to free speech in the student arena .
Amnesty International's UK campaigns director, Tim Hancock, said: "It is worrying that universities are attempting to curb the rights of their own students.
Date of story Sunday 11 December 2011 .

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I for one hope the Students Unions do not stand for this.

And fight back against those who are in charge of that University, and tell them exactly where to go.

Those university's need to remember who brings in their income in the first place. It is the Students,.

edit on 16-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You are deluding yourself if you think the UK is a beacon of free speech and democracy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Law is set be precedent, that means whatever the last judge decreed is the Law! This style of ban is now legal in the UK and can be sought by any authority/group/organisation and base their application on this precedent. This means the right of peaceful lawful assembly no longer applies in the United Kingdom unless someone challenges this law and gets it overturned.

The ruling will be used to ban protests from everything from local planning applications to condemning the bankers from ruining the World economy and everything in-between.

We live in Interesting Times, and that old Chinese proverb really is turning out to be a mixed blessing,

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

I do wonder whom you are replying too with your comments. If it is to me, who is one deluding herself?

When at the end of the day it is the students whom hold the power over the Universities, it is the students whom fund the University,

If the students wanted to they could all walk out and refuse to pay the fee's how long do you think it would be for those who went to court to gain this injunction come out and plead for those students to return to their University.

I will agree how ever this sets a very dangerous president. And one can only hope the Students body at that University takes action over this.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid
This is very disturbing and the ramifications across the UK could be detrimental to free speech in the student arena .
Amnesty International's UK campaigns director, Tim Hancock, said: "It is worrying that universities are attempting to curb the rights of their own students.

Univerities - and any organisation come to that - has rights to stop people camping on their property. There is nothing here about curbing free speech and students can - and do - campaign about all sorts of things. However, setting up camp is just a pain for the authorities because it creates mess, hazards, crap, sanitation problems, attracts non-students and is just plain annoying.

I think people are right to protest, but set up home and expect to be welcomed is perhaps taking hospitality to the limits.

I agree with the University on this.

Regards

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Maybe they will allow 'protesting' if you offer to pay more fees.....

I mean a few extra quid and you might be able to complain about the poor and homeless outside the campus........ irony for any Americans reading this ...

PDUK

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

I think you need to do a bit of research as to how the legal process works in the UK. Judges do not “make” the law per se. Common Law is through precedent, but not arbitrarily formed.

There is free speech in the UK, although there are curbs on hate speech - and quite rightly so.

Stopping people setting up squalid camps on your property does not impact free speech in any way.

Regards

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
@LauraUK, well young (wo)man you might want to consider the use of personal pronouns. Herself? Erm, no.

@Per...-you might want to read up on Common Law that pretty much backs my initial comment, although I agree Parliament does influence the punishments etc.

new topics

top topics

join