It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian court explains why it cleared Amanda Knox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Italian court explains why it cleared Amanda Knox

www.smh.com.au

The Italian appeals court that cleared Amanda Knox in the slaying of her British roommate has given the reasons for its ruling: the evidence that had been used by a lower court to convict the American and her Italian boyfriend of murder just didn't hold up.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Avenge Amanda Knox! Give Italy Nothing!
Italian jury clears American Amanda Knox of murder

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Those shortcomings included no murder weapon, faulty DNA, an inaccurate time for the killing, and insufficient proof that Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were even at the location where the crime occurred. So said the Perugia appellate court in its long-awaited reasoning behind its October ruling that reversed the lower court's convictions.

British university student Meredith Kercher was found slain in a pool of blood on her bedroom floor in Perugia, Italy, on November 2, 2007.

On Thursday, the appellate cited among the other failed elements of the prosecutors' case DNA evidence, which was undermined during a re-examination in the appeals trial, and the failure to conclusively identify the murder weapon. The appellate court even contradicted the lower court's time of death, saying it happened at around 10.15pm and not after 11pm. The court said not only had the "building blocks" used to construct the case had failed, but that the material necessary to construct the case was missing.

The only elements of the prosecutors case that were proven, the appeals court said, were the charge of slander against Knox, who was convicted of falsely accusing a bar owner for Kercher's murder, and the fact that the Knox and Sollecito alibis did not match.

That the alibis were out of synch "is very different" from the prosecutors' claim of false alibis, the court said.

The proven elements combined, the court said, are not enough to support convictions against Knox and Sollecito.

www.smh.com.au...

Excellent news!! While this only confirms what many of us suspected, to my mind it completely exonerates them and provides absolutely no chance that the overzealous prosecution can request a retrial.

Unfortunately, there will be some people who will still hold on to the ridiculous "Satanic ritual/sex game/murder" claim no matter what evidence does or doesn't come to light.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Bumping so it doesn't get lost in the mix.

I must post threads at the wrong time of day or something.....either that or people have moved on to more recent sensationalism.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
2nd and last bump. I have no clue if people have read this or not, I just thought it might be interesting news for those who have been following the case.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
i didnt follow the case closely but this was news to me so thank you for posting

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

My pleasure mate, I am glad at least one person found it useful.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The whole case was a strange one,her behaviour at the start was something i've not seen before,i was very suprised that she was found inocent though,i was sure she was going to go down but wasn't it something to do with miss use of evidence ??

i'm sure there are things in that case we'll never hear about

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think she was innocent but acted guilty because she was treated as being so. A lot like when I was crossing into Canada and they were treating me like crap even though I have no criminal record and wasn't bringing anything over that was bad.

new topics

top topics

join