It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need some crypto book recommendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
More specifically, i'd like some recommendations on your top 10 Bigfoot and top few Lake Monster books.

Im more into sightings, stories of the creature and evidence then anything when it comes to these things.

Thanks a bunch.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I enjoyed:

Bigfoot: The Story of Apes in America by Loren Coleman (has some personal accounts)
Silent Invasion: the Pennsylvania UFO-Bigfoot Casebook by Stan Gordon
Monsters of Pennsylvania by Patty A. Wilson

The book Legend Meets Science by Jeff Meldrum isn't case studies but still an interesting read.

I haven't read them yet but someone recommended the Rusty Wilson Bigfoot campfire story books saying they are true tales he collected working as a hunting/fishing guide.

I also have on my "to read" list another book by Loren Coleman: True Giants.

Not a book but I go to bfro.net every week and read the Bigfoot encounter reports submitted there.

That is all I can think of right now for Bigfoot related books. Jerome Clark also has some books that touch on Bigfoot and lake Monsters but cover many other strange tales as well. I read his book Unexplained and enjoyed it but again it covers a wide amount of strange occurrences.

I also really liked Linda Godfrey's Beast of Bray Road books but The Beast is supposedly a werewolf/dogman not Bigfoot.

edit on 12/16/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Edited a title

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thank you.

Ive always heard that John Greens books are some of the best along with Peter Byrne, Rene Dahinden and Grover Krantz. Ive heard them be called the "Big 4" in Bigfoot reading.

Yeah, I enjoyed Linda Godfrey's books. Some fun tales in them.

I have yet to find a book though solely on Lake Monsters that looks good however.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

You're welcome. Did you read Field Guide to Lake Monsters Sea Serpents and Other Mysterious Denizens of the Deep by Loren Coleman? Of so, what did you think? I see it gets high marks at Amazon.com. I haven't read it but I may be getting it from a young relative as a gift soon. :-)

Unfortunately books by the big 4 are becoming harder and harder to find. I did realize that I don't own anything by John Green so I think I will have to rectify that.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My fav is Dr. Meldrums. It's very scientificlly slanted, so that might turn some people off. Personally, I enjoy the science and the experts he includes.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrywhitechick
reply to post by Vrill

You're welcome. Did you read Field Guide to Lake Monsters Sea Serpents and Other Mysterious Denizens of the Deep by Loren Coleman? Of so, what did you think? I see it gets high marks at Amazon.com. I haven't read it but I may be getting it from a young relative as a gift soon. :-)

Unfortunately books by the big 4 are becoming harder and harder to find. I did realize that I don't own anything by John Green so I think I will have to rectify that.

You can find books by the big 4 really easy on Amazon. That is where I got all of mine. The prices are decent too.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You can also get decent excerts on the books off of the google library.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Any free pdfs you can read offline?!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I picked up three by Coleman for Christmas. Field Guide To Bigfoot And Other Mystery Primates, Lake Monsters And Other Denizens Of The Deep, and a compilation of two earlier ones, The Unidentified and Creatures Of The Outer Edge. Great reads, all of them. Another that I'd suggest is the Rough Guide To The Unexplained. Finally, one that's not exactly cryptid-related, but still very interesting and highly relevant to some of the stuff discussed around here is Mutants: On Genetic Variety And The Human Body, which is a fascinating look at the malformations the human body can develop, without diving into the realm of sideshow gawking.
edit on 29-12-2011 by ShadeWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

memoirs of a monster hunter, by nick redfern. its about his hunt for bigfoot, ghosts, werewolfs, and the chupacabras.

the encyclopedia of crypotzoology, i dont rember the author, but it is an encyclopedia of crypitds, evidence, cryptozoologists and other things related to it.

cryptozoology A-Z by loren coleman is also a very good one

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I cannot seem to find "On the Track of Unknown Animals" (The 1995 667 page reprint) anywhere for under 100 dollars.

If anyone has one that they want to sell for cheap, private message me

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Doesnt redfern have two other books that are similar too? "There is something in the woods" and "Three guys chasing the unknown" or something?
edit on 14-1-2012 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

My know about the first one,but three men seeking monsters isn't bad

new topics

top topics

join