It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi: Extending Unemployment Benefits Would Create ‘600,000 Jobs’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by xuenchen

Pelosi is giving stupid people a bad name. Would someone PLEASE get grandma? She's gotten into the cooking sherry again!

I'd like to know how entitling people to stay unemployed creates jobs.

Boy is She ever !

I thought I was "'Da Man" ?

Well.....time for a beer and pizza......

I'm with ya son .... let's head out...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

The sad part is they need to extend them until the economy comes back around. If they do not extend them the economy will tank. And all they people crying about them getting the payments will also be out of jobs.

Think about how many people are living check to check every week. MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. The money comes back into the system as fast as it goes out. Without it watch the final cards at the bottom of the stack get pulled out. Also remember this is benefit for people that worked and lost a job.

Millions of people one check away from starving and loosing everything. When they do stop it the house of cards will come down.

I'm sure you truly believe this, but....

That's not the problem.

So far, we are only seeing the superficial effects.

Unemployment benefits only help the unemployed, and only minimally.

Most drawers have higher bills than the benefits pay. NOW WHAT?

If they were drawing a real paycheck, their bills would get paid the just the same.

The stall tactic is to pay Paul from Peter.

The cards have already fallen, and the deck was short on top of it.

There are no statistics to show unemployment pay is supporting the economy.

True unemployment is much higher than the "edited" version the govenment tells you.

Many are down to part time and get no extra benefits.

Many part timers have lost the health insurance.

No way they will be able to afford insurance under the new laws.

NOW WHAT?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
reply to post by Subjective Truth

youtu.be...

That's IT !

The weakest link is always at the bottom !

Too bad they can't pull the table cloth and keep the glasses standing.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I actually agree with you but I am looking at the big picture. If you stop the benefits the hole system will come crashing down. Until the Jobs come back they need to extend them.

It is not a pie in the sky theory it is a simple fact. Millions are living week to week earning 300 a week if it stops houses will go into foreclosure and banks will fail again. When people loose everything it is very scary.

Also you are wrong about the cards they have not all fallen yet. Look around you can see this with your own eyes.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

I actually agree with you but I am looking at the big picture. If you stop the benefits the hole system will come crashing down. Until the Jobs come back they need to extend them.

It is not a pie in the sky theory it is a simple fact. Millions are living week to week earning 300 a week if it stops houses will go into foreclosure and banks will fail again. When people loose everything it is very scary.

Also you are wrong about the cards they have not all fallen yet. Look around you can see this with your own eyes.

300 a week won't pay high mortgages.

The foreclosues are rising as we speak, even with benefits being paid.

The unpaid credit cards and bills are rising as we speak., even with benefits being paid.

There are no supporting statistics for unemployment helping the general economy.

The damage is already done, and it will get worse.

Unemployment was much lower before when the crash happened anyway.

Millions are also living week to week on minimum wage minus deductions.

Employers help pay those benefits.

That cuts into raises.

Nearly Half of Americans in Poverty or Low-Income, Census Says

A new look at U.S. census data painted a stark picture today of poverty. It showed nearly one in two Americans are now in poverty or classified as low-income. The Associated Press said that is more than 146 million people, up four million from 2009. The increase is due partly to pay cuts, reduced work hours and loss of jobs.
OK, maybe the house of cards is only half fallen.

Nearly half of Americans either live in poverty or are low income, census data says

How and Who pays for this insanity ?

Nancy? help..answer me p-l-e-a-s-e

Bueller...
Bueller.......

edit on Dec-16-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Here's an interesting "solution" ....

This actually happened right here in River City !!!!!!!!

Maybe the FEMA camps are ........ well....

Civilian Conservation Corps

You young people take a lesson from FDR;

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families, ages 18–25. A part of the New Deal of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, it provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state and local governments. The CCC was designed to provide employment for young men in relief families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression while at the same time implementing a general natural resource conservation program in every state and territory. Maximum enrollment at any one time was 300,000; in nine years 2.5 million young men participated.....

Despite its popular support, the CCC was never a permanent agency. It depended on emergency and temporary Congressional legislation for its existence. By 1942, with the war industries booming and the draft in operation, need declined and Congress voted to close the program.

READ the whole wiki

all they gotta do is change a few rules.....and well .... Oh BAM uhh.

The government was broke and found "a way of hope"

Get Ready ... 3-2-1

Your dream job come true !!!!

Hey Nancy .... is THIS where the 600,000 new jobs are ?

edit on Dec-16-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Pelosi: Extending Unemployment Benefits Would Create ‘600,000 Jobs’

Jeeeeze .. this woman never stops. There should be a course in ''Pelosi Fuzzy Math' somewhere .... so the rest of us can get a glimpse into how that brain of hers functions. She provides no information to back up her claims (as usual.) really, really insane. How'd she get in DC anyways??

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

She's an entrenched politician that could do no wrong and never be voted out of office. Her job isn't to provide facts but simply to push an agenda that will in turn create massive profits for herself. Just look at her personal wealth accumulation over the past decade.. astronomical returns.. how? Inside trading.. anything she pushes she finds a way to make money off of it.

Will extending unemployment create jobs? No. That's stupid, if an economic adviser actually told her that he should be hit in the face.

Will cutting unemployment result in job losses? Yes. That's common sense, you're removing consumption liquidity from the economy.

Will the payroll tax cut put $1,500 back into the pockets of American tax payers? No. That is a blatant lie. It will add up to $1000 with an average of $800 for the typical family. This is dispersed per paycheck, an average of $35-40 biweekly. That doesn't even cover the average cost of food and gas increases so far this year.

The similarities to Pelosi and Bachman are numerous.. making crap up off the top of her mind and regurgitating it all over the podium. The difference of course... Pelosi can't be fired.
edit on 12/16/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Plastic Pelosi proudly parrots propaganda

Press Secretary Jay Carney and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack use the same math for dummies as Pelosi I see.
Well, it seems the government-welfare-programs-create-jobs mantra is becoming a popular mantra...

They all live in a fantasy world. It's called The Coalesce Conundrum Club

I have to wonder though, who are the true dummies?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Pelosi is full of hot air, but you have to be goddamned stupid to want to see millions cut off of unemployment while this economy is still swirling around in the toilet. If times were prosperous and their were plenty of jobs that pay a liveable wage(and I am talking LIVEABLE...some of you blowhards have no clue as to how expensive it is outside of your little southern countryside bubbles) available, then yes I would agree there's no need to extend unemployment...but with the way things are right now? Extend it.

I for one don't want to see American families decimated, as I love this country and the people in it. I can't say the same for those who are wishing the worst for people who have done nothing to them.

Those of you insane, far right hard asses who want to see people that have worked hard all of their adult lives, but are going through a rough period right now, be left with nothing better be careful what you wish for. You are asking for your precious American society to come crashing down all around you.

Remember, this is not WELFARE. These people have worked for these benefits. A lot of Americans have worked decades non stop and now are receiving these benefits because their job has been shipped overseas and or what have you. Are these the people that you really want to pull the rug out from under?

Keep your noses in the air though...the beast that has currently has 1 out of 3 Americans one check away from utter disaster will come to your doorsteps eventually. Don't cry and complain when it does either.

edit on 16-12-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by beezzer

Pelosi is giving stupid people a bad name. Would someone PLEASE get grandma? She's gotten into the cooking sherry again!

I'd like to know how entitling people to stay unemployed creates jobs.

Boy is She ever !

I thought I was "'Da Man" ?

Well.....time for a beer and pizza......

I'm with ya son .... let's head out...

Lumping Malcolm X in together with Obama and Eric Holder? That's a new one.

Quite ignorant, don't you think? Or is it because all three of them are black?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'll try to explain it in simple terms:
Unemployment money gets spent
Buying stuff creates something us in macroeconomics call "Demand"
This "Demand"-thingy works like the "Job-Creator" you worship, It's the tide that lifts the boat, not the boat pulling the water up.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Unemployment benefits is the 3rd from the bottom.

It's not an idealogical argument. It's a historical, statistical fact. Economics.

edit on 16-12-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Also see here for a CBO analysis of the return on Unemployment benefits vs. other policy options.

I don't like Pelosi, but that doesn't mean she isn't correct in the suggestion that unemployment benefits are the best Stimulas there is.

The unemployed SPEND that money...it goes directly to businesses. As opposed to a tax break that might be saved or not spent as quickly and diversly as an unemployment check.

I know people don't like Nancy, either do I, but facts are facts. Economists from both sides of the aisle agree on historical and statistical fact.

www.cbo.gov...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Jobless benefits a frustration to employer

Unemployment - Need or Scam
Last year the demand for our construction services, to our delight, was as they say "going through the roof" to a point where were turning down more work than we were accepting. Frustrated that we could not be available to the potential new clients that were calling on us, and simultaneously excited that this was happening to our company, since unemployment had broken the double digits marker. I decided we would grow, work to sign up as much as 40% more in total contracts, and hire up to 12 additional full time employees. Basically take advantage of our good fortune and get a small portion of our community back to work.

The plan was initiated, the additional contracts were signed up and then we set out to hire the employees. Little did I know that attempting to hire the employees needed, which I had thought to be the easiest part, would turn out to be a nightmare if not impossible. I'm sure that reading this you will be almost as surprised as I was directly experiencing it.

My experience: Before 2009 if our company advertised for an open position, on average we would get 20 to 30 applications, interview six to eight of the applicants, and hire one or two, based on the quality and potential of the candidates. This process has been deteriorating dramatically since 2009 and now at the end of 2011 it has completely hit bottom. Of all the applications that we have received this year, when asked why they were seeking a job with us, one out of three answered: my unemployment is running out and I have to go back to work. Earlier this year after I hired two new full-time employees, went through our company's orientation process, fitted them with our work clothing and booked them to start within a week, they both quit. One called ahead of the start date to apologize but wanted to inform us he would not be coming in because the government had just extended unemployment benefits again. The second one just did not show on his first day and when I called him he said he couldn't come in now because unemployment had been extended and he was making almost as much as we were planning to start him out with. If this is not frustrating enough to those of us that provide jobs and pay taxes let me give you my last two attempts this year. Both times we advertised in various media at great expense. The first time only seven applicants came in, I set up personal interviews with two for potential hiring, neither of them even showed up. The second time with six applicants, I set up interviews with four, one called in to cancel the interview, one did not even show up, two actually came in, though one was late. To summarize (in case you missed the math) of the last six people that I called for interviews for potential full-time employment only two came with one being late. It is more than frustrating, it's perverted.

Our government is considering extending unemployment benefits again soon. The final absurdity might be that extending unemployment is the only thing that both the Democratic and Republican majorities both agree on.

My personal position is one of reality. Those who are unemployed and verifiably work every day to find some kind of employment, but are unsuccessful, should receive unemployment benefits for a substantial period of time. However, the unemployed who are collecting dishonest benefits via the hard working tax payers, should be arrested.

Thus I'm asking the government to start verifying and policing the unemployment department. Support those really in need. Kick out the rest and allow us to put people back to work.

Dan Harrison

Harrison Construction, Inc.

Marietta

I'm in agreement with Mr. Harrison. The company that I work for cannot find enough qualified people either.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If Mr. Harrison can't compete with unemployment benefits, he might want to review his payment scheme.
This story also only shows that unemployment benefits help to strenghten the bargaining postion of the unemployed.
That's not a bad thing, since it helps with the trickling down.
And it says nothing about the fact that unemployment benefits are spent in the local economy, helping everybody, as Pelosi said.
edit on 16-12-2011 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

Those of you insane, far right hard asses who want to see people that have worked hard all of their adult lives, but are going through a rough period right now, be left with nothing better be careful what you wish for. You are asking for your precious American society to come crashing down all around you.

Remember, this is not WELFARE. These people have worked for these benefits. A lot of Americans have worked decades non stop and now are receiving these benefits because their job has been shipped overseas and or what have you. Are these the people that you really want to pull the rug out from under?

The issue is not necessarily the benefits.

It's the fact that high politicians like Pelosi are lying to the citizens,
while never doing anything positive for the majority of citizens.

She failed to explain the claim.

reply to post by illuminatislave

Lumping Malcolm X in together with Obama and Eric Holder? That's a new one.

Quite ignorant, don't you think? Or is it because all three of them are black?

If I thought it was ignorant, I would not have done it !

Maybe their combined agendas had/have more in common than you think !

Black? ..... what is your point?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Unemployment benefits is the 3rd from the bottom.

It's not an idealogical argument. It's a historical, statistical fact. Economics.

Nice chart. Is there a timeframe there? What year(s) are highlighted?

Why hasn't anything actually worked yet.

The programs have not yielded any results over the past several years have they?

Wages keep falling.

Unemployment keeps rising.

Extensions are constantly necessary.

Foreclosures keep rising.

If those combined programs worked, how do we explain the crash in 2007.

It seems everything is reactionary and still not positive for the majority.

The national debt is the highest it's ever been.

How does that "help" the majority?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Pelosi's statement is just further proof that liberalism is a mental disorder. Only a complete idiot could ever believe that giving out free money for zero production will create more jobs. I think that all of the anestegia she has inhaled over the years of plastic surgery have had an extremely detramental effect on her.

Seriously people, this is why we need to remove these elitist a**holes from office and elect real people from the upper middle class to represent us in office. There is no way that a super elitist such as Pelosi and the others, who are worth millions of dollars can ever relate to the average family or person that is trying to survive on the basic middle class pay. Until we accomplish this we will not only continue to see things stay bad but we will also see things become exponentially worse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join