It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Suspended For "Tebowing"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It just goes to show....television is making "Monkey Doers" out of people. "Monkey see, monkey do". And to think, these kids have dreams and aspirations, to be just like Tim or Albert. Now-a-days, kids' role models are athletes and 'superstars'. Who wants to be an engineer, when one can make MILLIONS throwing a ball...and striking a pose? Boy, oh boy, are WE in trouble! Wait 20 years from now!!! I see the world being full of: slaves, masters, and entertainers.

And you know what else, it doesn't look like they're "praying"...it looks like they're in deep thought. Prayer is communicating with God, when NO ONE is around. HE's your imaginary friend.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
What would be interesting is to find out how the school handled the immigration marches a few years back, and see if they allowed those students to fill the halls, leave the school, "potentially cause a riot, because they were growing in number and if the wrong kid gets pushed a brawl could ensue", etc. I really wonder if the same logic was applied. Somehow, I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
if they have no way of posting this crap, theyll have less of a reason to show off and act out.
maybe theyll even wake up a bit about how to live in the real world, where everything you do doesnt need to be broadcast to the whole planet.

Just throwing this out there, even if they did ban phones and cameras etc, people will still bring them regardless. The usage of them will go down drastically, but on lunch hour they will be brought out and the photo shoot begins. Also, if they don't upload their pictures at the school, they can wait until they go home. So either way, their silly pictures will find a way to make it onto the internet.

I for one could really care less if they want to upload their pictures to facebook or whatever. If you don't like their activities and pictures, then don't look them up. We all had our dumb moments in school. Eventually they all grow up and move on with their lives, and look back years from now and laugh at the stuff they did.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So...a bunch of kids knelt down and blocked areas off in their kneeling prank

aka, they were trolling (but irl)....
problem being what exactly? hey, listen..if you want to start a school where kids can block paths with trolling, sing in class, etc etc etc...go right ahead, lets see how that works for you.

Kids push the envelope..its what they do, its what we did as kids..and you either defend every single action they do as they laugh and continue to push in order to make the school more disfunctional, or you let the teachers do their job.

I find it amusing how the group of people whom typically are bashing schools for not teaching morality, responsibility, and basically taking aggressive control of unruly kids are also on this thread condemning the actions as totalitarian and wanting funding cut.

Just demonstrates there actually is absolutely no critical thinking whatsoever in -some- of you...simple mouthpieces for your ideological masters...sickening.

deny ignorance indeed.

As far as what I, a liberal, would have done to these kids.
1) Warn them...trolls get banned, as on the net, so in life
2) if they do it again...yep...suspension

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U
Now-a-days, kids' role models are athletes and 'superstars'. Who wants to be an engineer, when one can make MILLIONS throwing a ball...and striking a pose? Boy, oh boy, are WE in trouble! Wait 20 years from now!!!

What? no man...thats how its always been.
People always want to be superman or the rock star...the glam life.
Actually in this I disagree with you. Yes, there are plenty that still want that dream, but due to the internet, many are also wanting (at a younger age than normal) actual career paths
"I want to design video games like Elder Scrolls"
"I want to be an architect considering I can make the hell out of some houses on this game"
etc...the boob tube generation is pretty much over now. The sheer diversity of cable channels and the access of the internet has broadened the horizons of many new generations moreso than my generation (X) as a whole.

But yes, there is always a desire for stardom...hell, I am a late 30s hermit that still wants to trade in his engineering for my closet rock star desires...dreams..fluffy fun dreams to have.

Hense why God invented Karaoke

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank you, kids need a firm hand. I don't say that because I hate kids, rather it's because kids tend to try to get over on you. It's just the truth. The old saying goes "Give an inch and they take a mile". The other kids will see it and start cutting up too.

I think the problem here is many people have no experience dealing with children outside of their own. Handling a mass of children is different than handling your own. You have to be firm with them when you are dealing with greater numbers.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Video here:

So go ahead, make the call. What would you do? Pay attention to the last few seconds of the video.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

I say we should line them up and shoot them one by one each tied to there own pole. Two shots each, one in the groin and then one in the head about 10 seconds after.
HAHAHA at the people supporting their punishment, you deserve to get slapped in your virtual face. Get a life and stop blaming younger generations for the society you have created. They did not do anything wrong and are only being punished to condition them into a life where they cannot think freely.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The intent of not establishing a govt sponsored religion was never to STOP any expression of belief in God, but in realizing Man had no right to tell God how to conduct Its business through us.

Behaviors that foster a communion of the individual with God for one person rarely do as much for anyone else. The tyranny of the minority, or majority, at the barrel of a govt gun always leads to the destruction of all parties.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
reply to post by links234

I say we should line them up and shoot them one by one each tied to there own pole. Two shots each, one in the groin and then one in the head about 10 seconds after.
HAHAHA at the people supporting their punishment, you deserve to get slapped in your virtual face. Get a life and stop blaming younger generations for the society you have created. They did not do anything wrong and are only being punished to condition them into a life where they cannot think freely.

The Society I created? I'm probably 10 years older than those kids, I don't think I had much to do with it. Either way, if you watch that video kids start shoving them over in the end trying to get by. It was indeed a safety hazard. You are just engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric and it doesn't make your point very well.

Students are free to think however they want. They are not free to create conditions in the hallway that could lead to someone being physically hurt.
edit on 17-12-2011 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
After seeing the video, I see exactly why they were suspended, although I think a detention may have been more appropriate. But of course I was being sarcastic in the second half of this thread.

With that being said...
I still would have participated, I think such things are hilarious.

And..
I think some of y'all are actually taking this too seriously.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

So wouldnt it be better to explain that to them rather then punish them
?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Children aren't as mature as you'd like to think they are. That's because they're children.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Children aren't as mature as you'd like to think they are. That's because they're children.
Knowledge creates maturity
edit on 17-12-2011 by ThrowCatsAtCacti because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

So wouldnt it be better to explain that to them rather then punish them
?

It was explained to them the day before and they were told not to do it. Other classmates are on record saying they were told not to do it the day before because they started doing it during a fire drill. They did it again the next day and they were punished for it. If you were told once you shouldn't have to be told again.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

It probably wasnt explained to them why not to do it, rather told not to do it. Either way understanding of pety rules such as liablity come from an education not provided by our current system. I dont see why people insist on punishment when it has clearly shown not to be an effective method in any and all circumstances wether it be on adults or children.
I think we should be praising these children for thinking by themselves, which in this world is not an easy thing to do.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

I think we should be praising these children for thinking by themselves, which in this world is not an easy thing to do.

They were reenacting something they saw other people do. How is that thinking for yourself?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

No, its the fact that they organised as a group to do something as one; these actions usually come from orders and are not reserved for free thinking

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

No, its the fact that they organised as a group to do something as one; these actions usually come from orders and are not reserved for free thinking

No those actions don't, people organize flash mobs all the time. Kid organize fights in the schoolyard. people organize things all the time. If that is the hallmark of free thinking then everyone is a free thinker.

It's akin to saying singing a cover song makes you a great songwriter. You didn't originate anything, you just did something someone else did.
edit on 17-12-2011 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

There is a difference between flash mobs or school fights and the non violent action in this instance. Its like occupy, really there is no reason to be punishing them but we find exscuses in our legal system to prosecute them. Its similar to circular logic in the fact you can punish almost anyone if you want to and keep coming up with exscuses even tho the action may not warrant such retaliation. I think law or in this case 'rules' need to follow a justification of encforcing them, to often does law escalate peaceful things into a state of confusion and subsequent violence or antisocial behavior; this could be solved simply by getting our prioritys in order.

Free thinking is exactly that. Its very well to have one person think freely, but humans are a pack species and ideas must mutate to have power. The authoritys would not go after one person 'tebowing' but when the numbers grow it shows free thinking on an evolutionary level.

I dont think your understanding, they could be doing the hokey pokey for all I care its the thought not the action.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join