It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Suspended For "Tebowing"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

There's no religion in "Tebowing." If anything it's mocking his beliefs and practices.

I guess if I close my eyse I must be praying? If I put my head down I must be praying? If I'm even praying it must be religious because nobody ever sits and contemplates or sits and thinks or sits and wonders. It's all just zealot prayer.

Best not sleep. You might pray and not know it.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We're a pagan, homeschooling family.
We've been fans of Tim Tebow for YEARS. It's weird, like he was from 'our school.'

Anyway, he's a great football player and he seems honestly like a very, very GOOD person.
I think he is a good person past his religion, but if his religion helps him be a good person and feel close to God, then that's a good thing.

If it helps any child to Tebow - that's just them practicing their religion. I have no problem with any child doing that. Why should the state? The state is not supposed to keep kids from practicing a religion - it is merely not supposed to MAKE them practice a religion.

Here in Georgia there was a pagan child at Bowdon schools that was singled out by a teacher and told their religion is WRONG. **THAT** is wrong. That's not the job of the teacher, or the schools. What if the teacher was pagan, telling a Christian child that? Or the teacher was a Muslim telling a Christian child that?

That's what this separation is supposed to prevent - not voluntary praying or some other religious practice that doesn't interfere with school - and I doubt seriously Tebowing would interfere with schools - if it did - give them a place to do it.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

He is praying. That's the whole point of why he's doing it.
blog.chron.com...

Evangelical quarterback Tim Tebow has never been afraid to take his faith on the field, from his Bible-verse eye black in college to his Focus on the Family Super Bowl spot, and now fans are picking up on his signature on-field prayer kneel, now nicknamed “Tebowing.”

Here's another link:
content.usatoday.com...
edit on 16-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Tebow is praying. Giggling kids striking a pose for laughs are not.

I'll kneel right now...........

Oh, didnt pray.

See how that works.

Yet watch me lay face down on the floor........

I just prayed!!!

I guess planking must be a religious act now?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

The issue is that school officials have to be sooooo politically correct these days.
Parents and students have been so up in arms about Moments of Silence that that has come to be a thing of the past. This is why these students have been suspended. You just can't have it both ways and they'd rather please the loud mouths who are against religion in schools rather than allowing the students to do what they want even though it's not physically hurting anyone.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That's right - now, the look of what he's doing might have morphed into pure Internet meme by now, but he takes a moment to say a bit of a prayer and no doubt it calms him. A lot of performers pray or do a group meditation before a performance - I've seen Madonna do it with her crew.

What is the big deal???? He's a good person that isn't pushing what he believes on anyone, just demonstrating it publically.

I am thrilled that a handsome, successful football player so obviously wants to do what he thinks is right and good. I am sick of the overpaid thugs that get adoration. A guy here in Georgia recently raped and murdered a little 7 year old girl and put her in the trash compactor - he was a big fan of Michael Vick.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Then Tim Tebow should be upset. As you describe it, the students are actually mocking his demonstration to his G_d.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Only if he's a thin-skinned douchebag.

Any sensible person knows fun is fun is fun and wouldnt bother to take offense.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Yes, he is handsome....

What were we talking about? Oh, that's right.
I think it's becoming such an issue because football players have been suspended in the past for their touchdown "dances", but Tebow's prayer stance is viewed as acceptable.

As I see it, this is all going to be driving a wedge into a lot of avenues.

Personally, I think folks should be able to do whatever they wish as long as it's not physically hurting anyone, which includes the touchdown "dances" and Moments of Silence.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

The issue is that school officials have to be sooooo politically correct these days.

They aren't that poltically correct if they'd not do anything to a teacher that told a child their religion was WRONG until a bunch of pagan community leaders brought an attorney to the school.

I think they are just ignorant of the law. I really think that is what it is! The law doesn't say it's ok to prevent kids from having a Bible, a pentagram, a star of David, or to tell kids they can't pray or meditate. They have to be very careful with the disruptive practice clause too - you can't claim that wearing a pentagram is disruptive if you let another child wear a cross. (That's where the Tebow thing could get weird- if they are calling it disruptive- IMO, they need to say, not in the hall, but here, on break)

The good thing - I think - is when incidents come up, they get educated. The state is not supposed to FORCE religion on anyone. It doesn't mean it can force religion FROM anyone either.
edit on 16-12-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2011 by hadriana because: I'm not making sense. Need caffiene.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Any sensible person

That's the problem right there.
Sensible people are the minority in the US.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Well, it IS becoming that way.

When I taught 9th grade, the school banned any displays of the Confederate flag. Students were so angry and their defense was that it was their religion. Yeah, the Confederate flag is now a religious symbol.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I think it's interesting the way people rant about banning religion in schools until it has to do with a sport's star, then everyone is for protecting religion in schools.

Can we have it both ways?
Having your cake and eating it, too?

Erm....

Tebowing is praying in school.

"What is Tebowing? (vb) to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different." Tebowing.com

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Any sensible person

That's the problem right there.
Sensible people are the minority in the US.

Right you are. But Tebow has the scrutiny of the spotlight on him so even if he was a hyper-sensitive lunatic his reaction would be kept in check.

Until he's no longer a hot commodity anyway. Then he'll be free to implode in insanity all he wants. If he is indeed a hyper-sensitive douchebag who would take offense at my non-praying kneeling.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

There's no religion in "Tebowing." If anything it's mocking his beliefs and practices.

I totally disagree, I think a lot of people on Tebowing.com actually respect Tebow and his beliefs, and are also having fun. Ya' know, some people casually pray...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

"What is Tebowing? (vb) to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different." Tebowing.com

Yes. Thanks for adding that quote.
I just can't believe that it took so many pages of comments to hit the bull's eye about what Tebowing actually is. I thought everyone knew it was his prayer stance. Silly me.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
reply to post by CREAM

I know exactly why this activity is outlawed; the action of organising a group to do something challenging the status quo is the same thinking that creates revolutionaries and standing up to oppression etc.
Schools spend all their time trying to stop their students thinking and acting for themselves without someone barking orders at them.
Good slaves don’t organise themselves to do something on their own accord.

Absolutely this. Many Humans have an in-built instinct to stop others from acting out in contrast to the majority, it's where bullying, racism, homophobia and dictatorship comes from.

In our modern times it's seen in acts like this. Something that people see as a risk to the status-quo needs to be stopped before THEY become the minority, the abnormal one.

It's basically a battle of wills between those who are able to think freely, and those who are trapped in paranoia and insecurity about themselves.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

So this is interesting.

Should I post a picture of myself in the stance yet not praying it will be called out as a fake "Tebow"?

How do we measure or gauge the prayer? Is there a pray-o-meter that beeps and blinks? We just take my word for it?

This "Tebow" thing is a fun semantic debacle.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I can't help you there.
I'd recommend you find someone who is firmly against Moments of Silence and ask them. The thing is is that nobody knows what is going through my head during a Moment of Silence. Sure, I could be praying, then again, I may be thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner.

It's the Thought Police who seem to be in control these days.

To me, a Moment of Silence was simply golden to my ears. It was the one minute per day that my ears got a break from all the non-stop yelling and gabbing the students do.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by CREAM

So this is interesting.

Should I post a picture of myself in the stance yet not praying it will be called out as a fake "Tebow"?

How do we measure or gauge the prayer? Is there a pray-o-meter that beeps and blinks? We just take my word for it?

This "Tebow" thing is a fun semantic debacle.

Hmm, well by the definition on Tebowing.com I guess not...

BUT, my interpretation of the Tebowing texts is not so literal. I think you can be secular and still participate in The Practice...

"I think a lot of people on Tebowing.com actually respect Tebow and his beliefs" - I said "a lot," not "all."

BUT... Maybe all thoughts are prayers (whether you believe it or not) so it is impossible to not to pray while Tebowing?

Hmm, this is getting tricky. Someone needs make a book and documentary

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join