It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Suspended For "Tebowing"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Source - Yahoo

"The administration told us that our Tebowing was blocking the halls and could potentially cause a riot, because they were growing in number and if the wrong kid gets pushed a brawl could ensue," Carroll told Prep Rally. "We had no idea that we could get suspended for such a thing. It was a joke between a group of friends that took a life of its own. We figured at the most we would just be told to stop."

It's stuff like this that confirms why I will NEVER support another tax increase for schools. If they have the time to suspend kids for something like this, they don't need another cent. More political correctness gone crazy. This wasn't about "blocking the halls". I think we're all smart enough to know what this was truly about...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I am not smart enough to know what this was all about,All i have heard is that it is like planking only dumber

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If I'm elected president, I will allow Tebowing at any school in America to take place, without the fear of punishment

I'm Rick Perry, and I approve this message

EDIT: Letting people know what I'm talking about

edit on 15-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
School officials are little Stalins,,,,, They would have LOVED to be in the KGB

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I think it's pretty silly too. People will do just about anything to get their mug on the internet. Planking, owling, Tebowing. It's all the same. Somehow, however, I don't think they'd be suspended for planking.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This may look dumb to some people, but it looks awfully funny and harmless to me.

Look at it this way, at least they aren't getting into something bad. All we would do at my school in the halls would be talk about drugs(not all, but a lot of the time, I am not exaggerating our school was flooded), I never saw people do any funny pranks like this besides when we would ALL randomly start clapping and cheering in the lunch room to piss off the staff(classic).

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I'm Rick Perry, and I approve this message

He's a Cowboy's fan.
Funny post! Star.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
So, tell me if I have this wrong but..
They got suspended for kneeling on one knee and supporting their head via leverage of the forearm on the knee?

Now how is that punishable?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I blame tv and chemtrails!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
So, tell me if I have this wrong but..
They got suspended for kneeling on one knee and supporting their head via leverage of the forearm on the knee?

Now how is that punishable?

The same reason we'd get in trouble for randomly clapping and cheering in the lunch room (was not next to class rooms either). "Order in the court!" mentality.

I say let these kids have their fun! You can only be young once!
edit on 16-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I had to google what a tebow was so I don't think it should be assumed teachers would know such a thing..

But I have to say .. I did find the "inciting a riot" remark to be absolutely hilarious .. a riot? lmao.. ah .. school administrators.. the only job in education where it's required to be dumber than the teaching staff.

I do though see their point on blocking halls and being dangerous. Had such a thing been done where I went to high school they would have been trampled by 2,500 kids trying to squeeze through the tiny hallways that connected the buildings.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I know exactly why this activity is outlawed; the action of organising a group to do something challenging the status quo is the same thinking that creates revolutionaries and standing up to oppression etc.
Schools spend all their time trying to stop their students thinking and acting for themselves without someone barking orders at them.
Good slaves don’t organise themselves to do something on their own accord.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I love it! "Think! It ain't illegal yet!"

edit on 15/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Didn't fit!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It's a one day suspension...it doesn't matter. They are probably happy they get the day off. I got TWO one day suspensions, guess what? Every College I applied to accepted me...they don't care about small things like that unless it's a regular occurrence for serious things. You can also explain what the suspension is for...no college will take this into consideration. All of their teachers will most likely let them make up any missed work.

To cut off funding to schools is even more over the top than the suspension. You're overreacting even worse than the school.

After reading the article, it sounds like they did this for an extended period of time. It is a fire hazard.
It's also said(I had imply here before edit...it's not implied, it's clearly stated) they were asked to move, and they didn't.

You guys are worse than the mainstream news...making big deals out of nothing.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

the action of organising a group to do something challenging the status quo

What is Tebowing? (vb) to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different.

tebowing.com...

Made popular by Tim Tebow .... a football player

You are relating a moronic football pose by students for a laugh to "revolutionaries" challenging the status quo.. God help us, this country is doomed.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
It's a one day suspension...it doesn't matter. They are probably happy they get the day off. I got TWO one day suspensions, guess what? Every College I applied to accepted me...they don't care about small things like that unless it's a regular occurrence for serious things. You can also explain what the suspension is for...no college will take this into consideration. All of their teachers will most likely let them make up any missed work.

To cut off funding to schools is even more over the top than the suspension. You're overreacting even worse than the school.

After reading the article, it sounds like they did this for an extended period of time. It is a fire hazard.
It's also said(I had imply here before edit...it's not implied, it's clearly stated) they were asked to move, and they didn't.

I don't think it's the punishment that is the issue, it's the mentality.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
so they suspended the kids for one day for wasting everyone's time making jackasses of themselves for the internet?

wait.. why is this something worth talking about again?

these kids should be forced to take some kind of philosophy class or something, to teach them how to stop acting like tools.

to me this is just another example of why all schools should ban cellphones and cameras (and ipods and games, etc).

if they have no way of posting this crap, theyll have less of a reason to show off and act out.
maybe theyll even wake up a bit about how to live in the real world, where everything you do doesnt need to be broadcast to the whole planet.
edit on 16-12-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I am hardly comparing the two actions but the thought process behind them.
If only one student did it I bet nothing would have come of it, but when students work together and orchestrate an event it shows defiance to the strict structure of our schools and society.
That thought process is the exact thing our society is against because without it, people regulating society can get away with anything.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Originally posted by Ghost375

I don't think it's the punishment that is the issue, it's the mentality.

What mentality is that?
They aren't forcing kids to be quiet in the halls...they aren't forcing kids to walk in straight lines all day. They aren't forcing kids to study until their eyes bleed.
It's school, not happy go fun time. They asked the kids to move, and they didn't. And then they were given a fair punishment. Schools are already bad...you know what it'd be like with no rules...yeah, it wouldn't be pretty.
The authorities there aren't acting like Nazis.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
You are relating a moronic football pose by students for a laugh to "revolutionaries" challenging the status quo.. God help us, this country is doomed.

Yeah, it sounds silly, but life is a silly thing.

Schools are like microcosms of a state, the parallel actually makes sense. There are the administrators(like the government), the teachers(like the mainstream media), security(sometimes actually police), and the student with their cliques. The "popular" kids (like the "Plastics" in mean girls) are like the elite 1% of the population. Jocks are in that group and typically get their way with the teachers and administration. Then there are the rebellious ones who try to stir things up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join