It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much $ Is Too Much For One Person To Have?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of complaints about some members in society holding vast amounts of wealth. I certainly understand why people feel frustrated. It IS frustrating to know that some people can wipe with $100 bills and some people can't afford to feed their families. My question, as the title implies; how much is too much? Should there be a limit? Should the wealthy (and I'm going to say someone with more than 5 million dollars) be required to pay more tax than they do already?

Someone in another thread something that I liked, 'How much do they really need at that point (referring to Walmart estate beneficiaries) it's seems like it's just to show off after awhile!' That's what really sparked this tread. I don't really need half the things I own. I'm not a millionaire, but live very comfortably. Since I don't technically need my assets, and could theoretically survive working at McDonalds, should I just give everything away? I don't mean that to sound snarky, it's just an example.

There is obviously a problem in this country, but do you feel that the rich deserve to keep the money they have made, and do you believe there should be a limit on personal assets? If so, what should be done with those assets? How would you redistribute them fairly?

What would you do to close the wealth gap. I do readily agree this is a problem, and not just a 'they're lazy' issue.

I know I'm kind of a pain in the OWS threads, but I am asking this as a serious question and don't really want to debate, just listen. I have really come to respect other members opinions here, a number of people have really said things to challenge my beliefs and think about them more deeply.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Though I am a libertarian and fan of austrian economics,it is my opinion that 1 billion dollars/euros is more than sufficient and should be max limit.

Excessive wealth concentration in one set of hands leads to corporatism and destruction of free market.And True free market is where small business prevails not big business because big businesses subvert a nation and its laws.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
$25 million

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
From the start of my career until now, I have had a pay increase of about 22 dollars per hour over a period of 12 years, and my wife has tripled her pay. I still don't know where all our money goes. You would think that we'd have all this money saved up....but we don't.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

25 million$ ? that is too low

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

That was very well put. I'm really struggling with this one in my head.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Maybe just enough to buy a Lada ,a goat and some beans. Niet?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I always wondered if those poor people around the world, view Americans, as 1%.

Minimum wages by country

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

When I win the PowerBall Jackpot.....then I'll tell you.

Oh and....if Ihave a cool $75,000,000 (after taxes)...or whatever? I'll be sure to share with a few of you, here on ATS...

I "promise"......

(How's $1,000 each sound, for starters??)...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
250 Million is a perfect top goal to have, Anything after that should be giving away through Philanthropy and charities not through government redistribution.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think it would be reasonable to have a max limit of 100 million,really thats plenty to last a lifetime twice over and would go a long way to eliminate monopolies with massive financial backing,

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I only have my personal opinion on this as it is subjective.

Being rich and being wealthy are 2 different things.

A wealthy person has so much that they will never need to worry about life.

A rich person could loose it all.

Do I think we should have a limit on personal wealth and assets, No. That would affect the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness along the lines of liberty (lack of arbitrary coercion from another).

For me, if I had enough money to where it replaces my income (either via interest or just without) and all my debts were paid (actually, I could get by on $12,000 if my debts were paid and I wanted to live by shopping for my food) then I'd be comfortable.

Right now I am playing the lottories (state as well as the 2 big ones) and if I win a large enough jackpot I could comfortably live as long as "it" doesn't hit the fan.

I'm also working on getting off grid- the goal is to be completely independent for food, electricity, and water. I would need even less then, just taxes and frivalties.

I can get by on a lump sum of 10 million or more after taxes. After I was set, I'd work on learning agriculture and try to help in countries that are less fortunate. (It's that whole "teach a man to fish" thing)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I would like 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars.

I could do more good,with that kind of money,then ANY Government.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by Domo1

When I win the PowerBall Jackpot.....then I'll tell you.

Oh and....if Ihave a cool $75,000,000 (after taxes)...or whatever? I'll be sure to share with a few of you, here on ATS...

I "promise"......

(How's $1,000 each sound, for starters??)...

Careful on the promises

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

research on agriculture in Russia .Taxation rates are very low and very beneficial.This made me a rich man .

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't think it's a case (at least for me) of someone having "too much". However, when Larry Ellison makes as much as he does, when he already has $32-billion, and he's still outsourcing jobs to India and China, while lobbying Congress to allow more H1-B Visas, I DO have a problem with that. He hired in a Mark Hurd from HP and gave him a HUGE signing bonus. Companies like Oracle have been more and more profitable, yet the contributors never seem to see a cent from it. They're more interested in hiring foreigners, than giving qualified, unemployed engineers a job, meanwhile they're sitting on billions offshore in hopes of another tax break. A tax break like they got a few years ago to "hire Americans", which they used to buy other companies and LAYOFF "redundant" workers.

Now, I'm pretty conservative, but there comes a time where corporations, American corporations, need to fly the flag, and be patriotic. If not, they'll gradually create more and more dependent people, who will look to the government for everything. In the end, their greed will create more animosity and eventually cause a revolt.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

shalom Mr.Rothschild.did you like the taste of goyim baby roasted you had yesterday night.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Most of us have all we need and we allow pieces of paper to give our lives value. It like a kid with a full notebook thinking hes better then the kid with one sheet of paper. Its a system that makes some receive or think they have more paper then another, which in turn makes people feel poor.

If poor people understood that our labor and skill is worth more then the richest man on Earth, then we would have all the paper, a poor person works to provide food, and shelter, while a rich person buys cars, and homes.

As far as I'm concerned I dont care how much fictional money someone has, as long as I know how the system works, it doesn't bother me.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The way I see it, well, the more money in circulation (OR in banks hoarded by some people even though it's out of circulation) means that our value goes
The more these guys make (And they basically make it themselves through inflation) means the less buying power our "regular" dollars has. So how much is too much? When our value starts to drop like a Lead Zeppelin, I'd say that someone is making too much.And what's worse they are not putting it back in circulation it's basically stagnating.
edit on 15-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: to add.

edit on 15-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

And what's worse they are not putting it back in circulation it's basically stagnating.

Interesting point. They print the money, then make a profit off of that, then put it away where it will only make more money, and not contribute to the economy they are taking from. I learned it was illegal to keep cash in a safe deposit box the other day (yet to verify).

Already learning guys thanks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join