It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Deploys Newest Armed Stealth Drone to Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This mug is nothing like the one that went down in Iran! Wow.

www.foxnews.com...

As the military scrambles to deal with a U.S. spy drone lost in Iran, it was revealed that the U.S. Air Force has bought a cutting edge, jet-powered stealth drone -- and plans its immediate deployment in Afghanistan.

But the brand new drone -- an armed model from General Atomics designed for strike as well as reconnaissance -- was ordered months ago, well before the crash of the stealthy Lockheed-made RQ-170 Sentinel that remains in Iran, the USAF said in a statement to aviation website FlightGlobal.

"This aircraft will be used as a test asset and will provide a significantly increased weapons and sensors payload capacity on an aircraft that will be able to fly to targets much more rapidly than the MQ-9 [Reaper] UAS," the USAF said.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
you don't honestly think we would let anything of important technical capabilities get into the wrong hands do you? Haha the RQ-170 was old tech.... sure it was new to the Civilian sector, but it was old news for the military.... It used 98% off the shelf parts..... what wasn't off the shelf, had to be made due to the shape, size and mission of the RQ-170.... It was a recon UAV... this on the other hand, is the harbinger of death

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well it may all be good that they are launching their new #, but unfortunately, it doesnt look like this war is ending soon.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yep here ya go!! Regrading the dronw downed in Iran (Not the crown jewel):

"Bill Sweetman, the editor in chief of Defense Technology International, added this aircraft did not represent the crown jewels of U.S. technology. "This is not the most advanced stealth technology out there."

Originally posted by longtermproject
you don't honestly think we would let anything of important technical capabilities get into the wrong hands do you? Haha the RQ-170 was old tech.... sure it was new to the Civilian sector, but it was old news for the military.... It used 98% off the shelf parts..... what wasn't off the shelf, had to be made due to the shape, size and mission of the RQ-170.... It was a recon UAV... this on the other hand, is the harbinger of death

edit on 15-12-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by longtermproject

Exactly the reason why you're not involved with any decision the military or government makes.
Nothing is old in the military till its retired. Plenty of new models come out to replace the last one. Old tech or not we must not allow any other nations to have OUR technology unless designated to. Not to mention these so called "shelf parts" are not cheap either. Plus again not to mention...our military has never allowed technology to come in contact with the enemy. Mission One...if its left, must be blown up. In due time this drone will be destroyed.

Watch the movie Blackhawk Down. Horrible tech and they still destroy it.
edit on 15-12-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
haha, so you know what I do I suppose? No? Ok then... Now that we have that out of the way.... Old tech is used up, I know this.... You completely misunderstood.... The tech. we let IRAN keep, was something that was biding time for a replacement... they knew this from the first day they set it loose in Afghanistan.... Hence the reason why there are less than 5 RQ-170s out there....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Just like we lost the U2, just like we lost the stealth help in Pakistan, just like we lost the f117 in Bosnia? Are you saying that the USA never loses advanced stuff? The f117 at the time was the top stealth aircraft in operation and we still lost it, this drone was better than the predator and yet we still lost it

Where is your evidence that this was 98% off the shelf parts; do you have a inventory and parts list we would certainly like to see. If it was so mundane why us Obama crying and begging for it back. I want to see this off the shelf parts list that you claim; if you can't produce ur you are speaking out of your bottom.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by longtermproject

Just like we lost the U2, just like we lost the stealth help in Pakistan, just like we lost the f117 in Bosnia? Are you saying that the USA never loses advanced stuff? The f117 at the time was the top stealth aircraft in operation and we still lost it, this drone was better than the predator and yet we still lost it

Where is your evidence that this was 98% off the shelf parts; do you have a inventory and parts list we would certainly like to see. If it was so mundane why us Obama crying and begging for it back. I want to see this off the shelf parts list that you claim; if you can't produce ur you are speaking out of your bottom.

no sir, I am saying that we always calculate the risk... we were wrong more than we were right in the past... what I am saying is the only advanced tech that can be gleaned from this aircraft is the coating for stealth.... and thats only if they have the proper methods to reverse engineer it.... Obama has to ask for it back, because like all other exotic craft, the acting president asked for them back.... simple really.

Look it up, I don't feel like getting all the sources together, as its not worth my time... believe what you want, but if you look at it, this aircraft went from drawing board to build via rapid prototyping... which would mean that most of the parts were already in production. Sure, they have one of the spectral cameras, but the circuitry that makes it work is all fried (most likely) so that wont do them any good, and thats likely the only thing that was worth worrying about, since its the most advanced (known) piece on this aircraft.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
OT: Pretty cool drone, they seem to get bigger and bigger. It kind of reminds me of the supposed blimp drone that's in development.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest
OT: Pretty cool drone, they seem to get bigger and bigger. It kind of reminds me of the supposed blimp drone that's in development.

problem with blimp drones is they take up alot of surface area which makes them slow, and easy to spot... Now if you could hide a more dangerous airplane inside it (IE this drone) then you could catch the enemy by surprise....

Hey Achmed look at the blimp.... what the #$#@!$#@$ ----- DEAD....

lol

top topics

join