It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Airliner conversion.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Canadian company Tronos has converted a BAe-146 into a fire fighting tanker, and has announced they intend to convert several more.

The uploading system seems broken for me today so I cannot illustrate this with a nice embedded picture - there are plenty on that link tho, and tehy have a few short videos of low altitude manouvreability trials on their site too.

The aircraft dropping system looks much the same as Evergreen's super-chem-tanker 747, so I expect they will start to be blamed for chemtails shortly.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Especially with it spraying rainbows

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Where I live we have the last of the self loading tankers that travel all over the world when asked.
For us , in a valley and blessed with a very big supply of fir and other trees that are the lifeline for our survival,
the safety of these behemoths is a Godsend should a forest fire go out of control.
More and more up to date units are needed to keep our forests as safe as we can make them.
I applaud an insertion of this type of equipment that saves lives.
The insertion of a compound that squelches fires to save forests, homes and people are to be accepted with open arms.
I am not a tree hugger but I respect anything to help save the planet from utter destruction.
The trees give us oxygen and use up co2 and we depend on them for a lot our needs such as fruits 'food'
and our shelters.They need co2 to breathe and feed us so we can also breathe.
Peace and love to all!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus

That is an awesome drop capability. I'm sure someone will blame them for chemtrails, but that is also an awesome firefighting platform.

Also, that picture reminds me of what happens when I eat late night burritos at the Mexican stand down the road.

;-)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I've always had a soft spot for the 146, as a schoolboy I followed its development, cancellation and rebirth in the 1970's.

It is also something to note for the people that have written about their magical ability to judge altitude by looking up at the plane, four engines doesn't necessarily mean you are looking at a large aircraft. The 146 is smaller than the smallest 737 model. By contrast a twin jet 777-300 is bigger than a 747-200 Jumbo.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

146's were the only brand new a/c I ever worked on, and also the last airliner I was a mechanic on. we used to joke that "BAe" stood for "Bring another engine" due to the reliability (lack of) of the Lycomings, but they actually weren't that bad, and changing modules on the wing wasn't too hard - although with taking only 80-100 minutes to change a whole engine that was what we usually did & then module changes would be done during the day shift in the workshops.

Certainly extremely quiet (usually...) - but the pilots didn't like being overtaken by 737's, and the hydraulics in the wing root were very noisy for passengers when the flaps were moving, and resulting in a steady stream of complaints and enquiries as to whether something might be broken!!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ha ha thanks for that. It somehow makes the 146 seem even more British

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus

Spraying rainbows, you say?!!!

Time to cue the Insane Crazy Rainbow Woman
:

edit on 12/17/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Oh dear, that is one of he stupidest things I've ever seen! Thanks for posting

It's a classic example of someone with very little knowledge or understanding of a natural effect making horrified proclamations of doom from a position of total ignorance. So, "this never happened 20 years ago". What?!?!?

top topics

join