It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish military council convenes, review ordered for preparedness for war with Syria / Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Coming across twitter -

twitter.com...#!/MahirZeynalov/status/147382610006507520

Turkish military council convenes with Pres Gul and Erdogan, orders
review of preparedness for war amid escalating tension with Syria,
Iran.

Top Turkish military council reviews preparedness for war

Top Turkish military council has said it reviewed Turkish military’s preparedness for war following a key meeting.

A statement released by General Staff in its web-site on Thursday said Supreme Military Council (YAŞ) discussed activities of Turkish military in domestic and border security, adding that it reviewed Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) preparedness for war.

The statement didn’t elaborate threats Turkey face and said it assessed Turkish army’s needs and necessary steps to address these requirements to this end.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said in an interview two weeks ago that Turkey does not want to consider a military option for intervention in neighboring Syria as Damascus cracks down on popular protest, but it is ready for any scenario.

Davutoğlu also said the international community may decide a buffer zone is needed in Syria if hundreds of thousands of people try to flee the violence there.

I'm not sure if this is just preparedness or one of their annual meetings. The information suggests both possibilities. Turkey is however dsicussing a buffer zone inside Syria to help secure their border.

Turkish tropps dispatched to the border of Syria (before this latest announcement)
Israeli troops dispatched to the border of syria.
Jordan increasing their presence / internal security in that neck of the woods.

I think this last part sums up Turkey's position -

"If the oppression continues, Turkey is ready for any scenario. We hope that a military intervention will never be necessary. The Syrian regime has to find a way of making peace with its own people," Davutoğlu then said.

A shot across the bow to Syria?
edit on 15-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yep, I think Turkey will sit back and let the international community decide Syrias fate..

Turkey is in no danger so why push it?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

It's a contingency plan for spreading chaos.. some countries have minority populations that are oppressed and may in turn try to revolt along with Syrians as they flee into their territory. That would include Islamist Separatist in Lebanon, opposition to the Monarchy in Jordan, the huge Kurdish areas of Turkey and could even incite the tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan. If Syrian crack downs begin in earnest people will flee .. if people flee they will spread chaos.. countries with the most to lose like Turkey will in turn for their own safety attack Syria.. likely as part of a NATO operation.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333

Yep, I think Turkey will sit back and let the international community decide Syrias fate..

From what I ahve been seeing it looks like Turkey was trying to position themselves as the new "power broker" in the Middle East with the temporary decline of Egypt. They have been all over the place when it comes to Israael, Iran, Syria, the Us, Greece and NATO - bouncing back and forth depending on mood and circumstance (not saying their is anything wrong with that).

They seem to be more concerned with syria than Iran right now, so that is at least somewhat comforting.I know some of the Us MSM channels were banging the wwar drums again today, discussing how Iran will have a nuke in the next couple of weeks.

Strange times we live in...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustme333

I agree, with Trustmee333

And Xcathdra, I have much respect for you and like a lot of your posts but I think the thread title "Turkish military council convenes, review ordered for preparedness for war with Syria / Iran" is a little misleading as the one clear fact in all this is (which is also stated in your sources) that Turkey wan't nothing to do with any war in Syria.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

yeah sorry about that.. I try to use the exact same title as the media source, however in this case it couldnt all fit. I didnt phrase it the way it is to cause confusion / mislead. Just tried to get the basics across so people had an idea of what the thread was based on.

As far as Turkey and Syria, thats not entirely accurate. Turkey's government has gone on record discussing possible actions within Syria, from the buffer zone in the info in the op, up to a full intervention to end the bloodshed.

Ive noticed the changing view occurs depending on who is being quoted (military / civilian government / Turkeys reps etc).
edit on 16-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Seems you had it correct my friend....

Guess "Twitter" is the new evening news with Walter Cronkite....

www.worldbulletin.net...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Considering that Syria has a massive chemical arsenal,I am not so inclined that Turkey do this stupidity.It could be suicidal for Turkey and Israel and the GCC ,which is essentially USCENTCOM's puppet.

It has extremely high potential for creating a world war.Hopefully Turkey does not something stupid.It wouldn't want PKK having Assad's chemical weapons in the future.

top topics

join