It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Crisis: Russia Circulates Surprise UN Resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Russia has circulated a UN Security Council resolution aimed at ending the crisis in Syria, in a move that surprised the Western nations.

The draft condemns the violence by both Syria's government and the opposition, but does not mention sanctions.

Western nations said the proposal was not tough enough, but that they were prepared to work on the document.

The West has been pushing the council to act on Syria for months, but Russia - and China - vetoed such proposals.

Also;

Russia's UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the document urged an end to the violence, but did not mention any sanctions.

The draft demands that "all parties" in Syria stop violence.

But it also includes a new reference to "disproportionate use of force by Syrian authorities", in what is seen by some analysts as toughening of Moscow's position towards Damascus.

Russia accuses the West of trying to use the UN to force regime change in Syria.

Well, it's not really a huge surprise that Russia do not want their interests in the region threatened by instability. If I were to take a guess and speculate; Russia are trying to get this thing put to bed peacefully before any military action or regime change takes place.

If/When a regime change takes place you can guarantee that it won't be a Russian puppet at the pulpit.

In my opinion; they're scrambling to get it sorted to avoid NATO/US intervention and curtail the potential of a US puppet government who will no doubt, not have Russian interests at heart.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is there oil in syria? Hm.
I'm sure someone wants something there.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Link ?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Good news, hopefully this will help to alleviate some of the tension which has been building between Russia and 'the West' lately. The last thing we need is another situation like we had in Libya.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Link ?

bbc

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Russia woke up. If Syria falls as the last of the muslim nations to become muslim, then They only need to kill the Saudi king to bring about their planned attack and slaughter of all infidels globally.

Russia is stalling for time.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Russia woke up. If Syria falls as the last of the muslim nations to become muslim, then They only need to kill the Saudi king to bring about their planned attack and slaughter of all infidels globally.

Russia is stalling for time.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Seems this might be a play on Russia's part to limit arms sales to the " rebels " fighting the Syrian government .

Condem both sides and push for an end to arming of the rebels , in the end there side wins .
edit on 15-12-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Thanks

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Sorry, I forgot the link.

OP is edited with it now, cheers to the member who posted it!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Is there oil in syria? Hm.
I'm sure someone wants something there.

abarrelfull.wikidot.com...

Lots of foreign investment there, seems to be well developed.

I hate it when the oil countries have issues, the price of gas and oil goes up every time.
edit on 15-12-2011 by snowspirit because: sp

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If I were Russia, I would make an offer to Syria to bring in Russian peacekeepers and I would pay for it by picking up the billions of dollars worth of oil contracts the West has walked away from via force majeure due to the violence. I would sweeten the pot by taking a smaller royalty on the oil work and suggest the difference go towards benefiting the people of Syria ... win, win, win

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

TextWhen a radical Islamic terrorist group evacuates an Arab country, that's a sign of a dangerous situation even the most bloodthirsty killers fear. According to sources in Israel, the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas began evacuating its Syrian external headquarters this week..

What if, the destruction of Damascus, as foretold by prophecy, is done by the Syrian government itself, as a way to bring about their own agenda????

Seem's awful starnge that Hamas would bail so soon, and not want to stick around, does it not?

Just another look at what could be, from a different perspective....

www.examiner.com...

www.libertynewsonline.com...

top topics

join