It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Patriots Co Founder arrested at Laguardia trying to board plane with gun!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Who cares?

"Officials say Meckler was boarding a 5:30 a.m. flight to California when TSA agents discovered a gun in a lockbox, as well as 19 cartridges. He reportedly showed agents a California-issued gun permit to carry the firearm, but failed to show a New York State permit for the weapon."

You think he was going to hijack the plane? Of course not, he was just overzealous with demonstrating his gun rights in a dumb fashion.

Oh so him breaking the law is just excercising his rights.
OWS protesting and breaking the law to protest is...?

Honestly, this is a non-story. I am not trying to defend the Tea Party because I think it has been hijacked by republicans when it was more of a libertarian movement, but I still don't like people bashing them for no reason.

edit on 15-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

He broke a law that a goog gun owner would have known all about and taken the proper steps to avoid. Instead, he broke the law. That sounds interesting to me.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
reply to post by CREAM

Speak to me again when someone is about to board a plane with a gun on their person on the same exact plane that you are slated to go on and tell me that this is still right!

I'd compare and contrast the benefits of .45 caliber to 9mm with him.

Seriously, he has a gun in a lockbox, which is how you're supposed to carry a gun with you on a plane, and he's getting arrested for it? Good old New York.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Dude is facing 2nd Degree weapons possession which means he faces up to 15 yrs in jail, hardly a small crime and got caught by the TSA during secondary screening and never declared it with the airline as per Federal law means he's being charged under The Federal statue as the second you pass the first gates you are then in the International Zone.

NYC laws pertaining to legally registered guns isn't that tough and says as long as the piece is legal and the owner is credentialed and everything cheques out means that dude would've gotten a slap on the wrist under City law.
edit on 16-12-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

reply to post by CREAM

Speak to me again when someone is about to board a plane with a gun on their person on the same exact plane that you are slated to go on and tell me that this is still right!

I'd compare and contrast the benefits of .45 caliber to 9mm with him.

Seriously, he has a gun in a lockbox, which is how you're supposed to carry a gun with you on a plane, and he's getting arrested for it? Good old New York.

/TOA

He was going to NY with his gun where he did not have a permit for his gun. Having a permit for your gun how you are legally supposed to have one. He broke the law so yes, he is getting arrested for it.

How many OWS got arrested for "Wearing a mask in public" and you people just blanket stated look at all the arrested people from OWS? Now each crime is specific and even justifiable on an individual basis? When did you all become so enlightened because there is a treasure trove of posts on ATS that show the actual reality here.

Yeah, he broke the law. He was not carrying his gun as he is supposed to or legally. That is why you get arrested, breaking the law.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

I will post this again since you seem to have missed it the first time.

According to the Queens District Attorney’s office, Meckler arrived at the airport with the gun, a Glock 27, and ammunition locked in a safe and presented it to the flight attendant at the Delta counter.

He did not get caught at a secondary screening point. The DA admits he turned it in to the Delta attendant at the counter with his checked luggage.

According to the DA's office it isn't even about the gun and the plane. They simply state that they arrested him for not having a NY permit. That means they very likely arrested him in violation of FOPA.

A spokesman for the Queens DA, Kevin Ryan, told TPM that the legal issue wasn’t whether Meckler followed airline regulations regarding safe transportation of a handgun, the issue was that he did not have a carry permit for New York state, which has strict requirements for handguns.

In other words NYC feels that their law superceeds federal law that protects the constitutional rights of citizens. Let the political bias die for a second and realize that this is about a man being harassed by officer's and politicians trying to maintain a strangle hold on their power monopoly by causing fear.
TPM

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Um no, this is about a guy being arrested for breaking the law.
I suppose if there were a far far far right wing president in office, any arrest made upon me would be simply because of my outspoken opposition? You will defend me too?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

He did not break the law. He is protected under FOPA. That is the federal law that says you can travel through a jurisdiction with strict gun laws to get to another. As long as he took the most direct route to pass through the area he is fine. NYC has a long reputation of violating the federal laws that protect people travelling in a legal manner with their handguns.

NYC's permit law actually has no bearing unless he was in town with access to the gun for an extended period of time. This is a revenue generating scare tactic that NYC pulls on about 60 or more people a year. The average person they arrest isn't a lwayer and doesn't have time to fight it. So, they pay the heavy fines instead of losing their gun rights permenantly.

If you want to protest, knock yourself out. I marched against the Iraq war. I've marched for gay rights and I've even went head to head with local politicians in the papers. As long as you aren't violating the rights of others, I don't care.

If you want to stand on the corner of 9th and Main with a sign and carrying a gun in your pocket, go for it. Just allow other people to pass freely and don't be abusive or obnoxius. You let the people move freely and do not obstruct the rights of legal merchants to continue trading, I'm fine.

edit on 16-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

Maybe you misunderstand me. I'm not saying they targetted him because of his politics. I fully believe the arresting officer had no idea who this guy was. I don't believe the DA knew until it was too late. This is just the type of routine constitutional rights violations you can expect in NYC.
edit on 16-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

It isn't just Federal Air Marshalls that carry guns. In fact, just about every Federal Law Enforcement agency bypasses security and carries loaded weapons on airplanes. I have friends in the FBI, and they always carry their weapons on airplanes.

I have personally declared a gun and carried the same way this guy was attempting to, and I didn't have any problem. That was pre-9/11 though, I'm sure it is different now. After 9/11, you can still bring a gun in your checked baggage, as long as it is unloaded and declared in advance. I have done this also, but personally, it is much easier now to Fedex your important items to your hotel ahead of time and not deal with the TSA stuff.

These days I don't fly much, but when I do, I use Fedex for my main stuff, and I bring a small carry on for incidentals.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
He did not break the law. He is protected under FOPA. ....NYC's permit law actually has no bearing

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I have personally declared a gun and carried the same way this guy was attempting to, and I didn't have any problem. .

And there you have it. He didn't break the law. So why are those here on the far left screaming that this fella was wrong ... oh I get it ... because they see that he was involved with exercising his constitutional rights by engaging with The Tea Party. That makes the far left see red, and forget the actual letter of the law. How tolerant.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Yup, Tea Party Patriots Co Founder Mark Meckler has been arrested at Laguardia Airport for trying to board a plane with a gun!

www.wpix.com...

Still think these people represent you?

No more then say I don't know, any other Politician that has been arrested.
You are a joke, really.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Ahabstar

It is not about wether or not his intention was good don't mean jack as the only ones allowed to carry guns on board are US TSA Air Marshall's Service and no one else. If he wanted to fly with his gun in tow he could've easily had The Tea Party Patriots charter him a private jet and this entire mess would've been avoided!

www.tsa.gov...
edit on 15-12-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

Ok then.
Sure sure.
Then, I am sure when it came out you would say he was an elite for flying as such.
Clueless.

So, in all actuality, the issue was not him trying to bring a firearm on board, as people are allowed to, so long as it is claimed, locked and placed in checked baggage.
The issue is the ridiculous laws in the State of New York.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

No, because none of us will dare try to board a plane with a gun!

That is because OWS is to busy marching on business.
Please, learn the law before you add drivel as a viable comment.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

reply to post by MikeNice81

Still a state charge because all NYPD has to do is run dude's info and find out that the permit in Cali is valid.

That is a deflection to the topic, some Tea Partier tried to board a plane with a gun and got caught!

No.....again.
The issue was not with the Airlines nor the boarding of the aircraft. Those laws were adhered to.
The issue is with the laws in New York City. Get a clue.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Dude is facing 2nd Degree weapons possession which means he faces up to 15 yrs in jail, hardly a small crime and got caught by the TSA during secondary screening and never declared it with the airline as per Federal law

No no no no no.

Wrong, again as always.

Go back and actually read the article.

He was in the process of declaring it to the Airlines. This is stated in the article you offered and in several others.

Clueless.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

He did not break the law.

Of course not. Only liberals that are arrested actually broke laws. Whenever a conservative is arrested, it is just their rights being trampled.

If you guys were not so obvious this might not be so sad.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

He did not break the law. He is protected under FOPA. ....NYC's permit law actually has no bearing

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I have personally declared a gun and carried the same way this guy was attempting to, and I didn't have any problem. .

And there you have it. He didn't break the law. So why are those here on the far left screaming that this fella was wrong ... oh I get it ... because they see that he was involved with exercising his constitutional rights by engaging with The Tea Party. That makes the far left see red, and forget the actual letter of the law. How tolerant.

Who says he did not break the law? Mikenice? Too bad Mike was not the ARRESTING OFFICER then huh?

He got arrested, he must have broken the law, he must be dirty and bad. That is the theme of every OWS thread on here.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Algernonsmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

Of course not. Only liberals that are arrested actually broke laws. Whenever a conservative is arrested, it is just their rights being trampled.

He violated the City law/code. Not the Federal Law.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

I do not give a # if it was federal. You say that like it is supposed to be an argument of some type.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I do not give a # if it was federal. You say that like it is supposed to be an argument of some type.

Ok then.
It is not how Immaculated presented it.
He did follow the Federal Law and Guidelines.
He did, however break the local law.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Ok then.
It is not how Immaculated presented it.
He did follow the Federal Law and Guidelines.
He did, however break the local law.

OK then, I know all that.
I did not say # about federal laws in any of my posts.
I did not latch on to Immac's version of the story for one post.
I did however, acknowledge this dirty scumbag broke the law and got busted.

So you posted this because....?
Crushing on me? If you want to talk to me that badly, do not do this to do it. It makes one of us look stupid.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Algernonsmouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join