It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Patriots Co Founder arrested at Laguardia trying to board plane with gun!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yup, Tea Party Patriots Co Founder Mark Meckler has been arrested at Laguardia Airport for trying to board a plane with a gun!

www.wpix.com...

Still think these people represent you?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"Officials say Meckler was boarding a 5:30 a.m. flight to California when TSA agents discovered a gun in a lockbox, as well as 19 cartridges. He reportedly showed agents a California-issued gun permit to carry the firearm, but failed to show a New York State permit for the weapon"

seems like some misplaced documents . But why would you carry a gun on an airplane and possibly endanger the lives of all on board if a hijacked scene came to play. Althought if a hijack did occur he would be locked and loaded .

But for the safety of the passengers and people on ground , GUN IS A BAD IDEA on a plane.

As for the guy i don't think he is that bad.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Who cares?

"Officials say Meckler was boarding a 5:30 a.m. flight to California when TSA agents discovered a gun in a lockbox, as well as 19 cartridges. He reportedly showed agents a California-issued gun permit to carry the firearm, but failed to show a New York State permit for the weapon."

You think he was going to hijack the plane? Of course not, he was just overzealous with demonstrating his gun rights in a dumb fashion.

Honestly, this is a non-story. I am not trying to defend the Tea Party because I think it has been hijacked by republicans when it was more of a libertarian movement, but I still don't like people bashing them for no reason.

edit on 15-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
He's just making a statement--but a poor one at that.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I do not care but you DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT to board a commercial plane with a gun and 19 magazines. Since he was arrested by TSA in an International Zone the charges forthcoming will be of The Federal Statue!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Speak to me again when someone is about to board a plane with a gun on their person on the same exact plane that you are slated to go on and tell me that this is still right!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

I am curious. Do you think the man meant to harm anyone? If the plane was highjacked and he captured the highjackers at gunpoint and brought about the safe landing of the plane would he be a hero or monster in your eyes? Is it the gun, locked in a box that would require his cooperation to open a danger to anyone? Is it the gun that is evil or the person?

A gun permit issued by California tells me that the person is beyond reasonably responsible as gun permits in London England are almost easier to obtain.

Personally I would have less apprehension about this man carrying a gun next to me than the average armed security guard. And for the record, I used to be an unarmed security guard at a hospital. Personally I would be more afraid of Nancy Pelosi holding a loaded firearm, but that is neither here nor there.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
reply to post by CREAM

Speak to me again when someone is about to board a plane with a gun on their person on the same exact plane that you are slated to go on and tell me that this is still right!

I don't care if everyone I am on a plane with has guns. Honestly, I could care less.

I am not paranoid of terrorism. End the TSA and I'd still fly, I REALLY don't care. You just as likely to get shot up on a public bus or something lol. People are soooo paranoid it's funny.

edit: Oh, and I fly a lot. I am serious. Give everyone guns, I am not afraid.
edit on 15-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
he claimed it, and it was in a lock box, but he had no permit

he was thiiiiiiiis close to making it, lol

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wait a minute? Didn't they just pass a law that your weapons permit is valid in all states regardless where it was issued?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

It is not about wether or not his intention was good don't mean jack as the only ones allowed to carry guns on board are US TSA Air Marshall's Service and no one else. If he wanted to fly with his gun in tow he could've easily had The Tea Party Patriots charter him a private jet and this entire mess would've been avoided!

www.tsa.gov...
edit on 15-12-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I do not care but you DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT to board a commercial plane with a gun and 19 magazines. Since he was arrested by TSA in an International Zone the charges forthcoming will be of The Federal Statue!

Well some do have the right?

"Federal Air Marshals carry the Sig Sauer P229 service pistol in a .357 SIG chambering and also carry a Baton. As noted above, Air Marshals must be re-certified on their firearm quarterly. According to an anonymous Air Marshal, they are trained to "shoot to stop", typically firing at the largest part of the body (the chest) and then the head to "incapacitate the nervous system".[13]
The US Federal Air Marshal Service signed a multi-million dollar contract for procurement of the SIG Sauer P250 Compact chambered for the .357 SIG cartridge in 2009.[14]"

en.wikipedia.org...

The dude was trying to prove a point , but as i said in my earliar post its a no no :p

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Officials say Meckler was moments away from boarding a 5:30 a.m. Delta Airlines flight to California when TSA agents discovered a Glock 27 pistol in a lockbox with nineteen 9mm cartridges during a routine pre-flight check-in.

According to federal law if your gun is in a TSA aproved lock box and in your checked luggage it can be in your checked bagge. That is what happened here. The gun was discovered while he was checking his baggage. There is nothing illegal about that.

What got him in trouble was posessing a gun in NYC without their permit. He was not actually trying to board the plane with a gun. He was trying to send his gun to California in the cargo hold.

According to the Queens District Attorney’s office, Meckler arrived at the airport with the gun, a Glock 27, and ammunition locked in a safe and presented it to the flight attendant at the Delta counter.

TPM

Unless he had been in the city for more than 24 hours chances are the case will be tossed out or severely reduced. It is perfectly legal to fly through NYC with a gun in your checked luggage. Federal law protects the rights of Americans to fly through places like New Jersey and New York with a gun, as long as it is carried a specific way and the airlines are made aware.

It appears that Meckler complied with the law for locking it away and letting the airline know. The only way they can get him is if he had not taken the most direct and expediant route of travel out of the city. This is a matter of overtly anti-gun politicians and officers attacking individual librties. It happens regularly in NYC, NJ, and Cal.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

No. The house passed a bill saying that your carry permit is good in any other state that allows CCW. You must follow that state's laws and it does not effect Illinois.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Did you even read the story? He was not charged with a federal crime. He was charged with a violation of city law. He is being prosecuted by a district attorney in NYC. What they leave out is that they do this about five or six times a month. More often than not the case gets dropped.

The Port Authority and the DA do this in an attempt to "send a message" that guns are not tolerated in NYC. It doesn't matter that the cases get dropped. The papers don't report that. They just report that another man with a gun was stopped from getting on a plane. It makes them look like they are making great strides towards fighting crime. In reality they are just harrasing honest citizens to gain public support and chill the rights of honest citizens.

Also the article said 19 cartridges and not 19 magazines. There is a huge difference. It means he had his gun stored with no ammunition in it. The gun was locked up and kept in a manner that meant it was unable to fire a round. It was in an absolutely safe state.

It really seems like you have little or no knowledge of guns or gun laws. Maybe you should do some research before you work yourself in to a tizzy over a non event.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Tea Party arent like the OWS EH?

edit on 15-12-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

No, because none of us will dare try to board a plane with a gun!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Still a state charge because all NYPD has to do is run dude's info and find out that the permit in Cali is valid.

That is a deflection to the topic, some Tea Partier tried to board a plane with a gun and got caught!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an "affirmative defense" that may only be raised after an arrest. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has also recently held that FOPA`s protections only apply while the firearm is not readily accessible to the traveler, and that a firearm is readily accessible during a hotel stay.

While this decision is only binding in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and the U.S. Virgin Islands, all travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions` official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.

Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. As noted above in the section entitled "Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms," FOPA`s protections have been substantially narrowed by court decisions, and persons traveling with firearms may want to avoid New York and New Jersey or make arrangements to ship their firearms to their destination, rather than bringing them through these jurisdictions.
www.nraila.org...

This is a 2nd amendment issue

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
No of course not. Those are different Tea Party people. Totally different thing. Really. This is not like that OWS where one homeless man who craps on a cop car represents all of them no matter what anyone says. That is different.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join