It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez Speaks at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Investiga

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez Speaks at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Investigative Findings Announcement

www.justice.gov

Good morning.

We are here to discuss the results of our civil rights investigation of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.

In June 2008, the Justice Department began its investigation of MCSO.

Our investigation initially focused on allegations that MCSO was engaging in discriminatory policing and discrimination in its jails.

As with all of our investigations, our mission here was, and will continue to be, to determine the truth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio gets Death Threats over Obama Investigation: (First Official report due Feb '12!
Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Forms Posse To Investigate Obama's Birth Certificate...As Promised
ATS News: Border Security, Part One: Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Sheriff Arpaio arrests 3 of his own officers for working with drug cartels

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Okay, I can personally tell you about this particular news release, as a citizen.

I received an e-mail today about 1:30pm inviting me to the teleconference.

They released the information, which Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez read, while I was on the phone, today via teleconference before it was released as a newsletter.

Don't ask me why he says good morning in the speech because the teleconference was at 2:30pm (it started at 2:40pm, late).

But after listening to the AAG talk, he opened it up for discussion.

There were a lot of good questions, one from a lady in South Carolina, asking if Sheriff Arpaio was going to have any sort of punishment, as well as any others investigated, and found to be in the wrong.

Mr. Perez danced around answering questions being politically correct of course.

He said that the Department of Homeland Security is now involved.

My question was as follows :

Operator Introduced me (name withheld from ATS) I do not represent nor am I backed by either the Boy Scouts of America, or the Explorer Program, but do you think that organizations like that could help Law Enforcement Officer's learn ethical boundaries, disability awareness, and as well to be more open to other nationalities, at a younger age before preconceived notions are ingrained?

Having been a Police Explorer as a youth myself, the organization helped me better learn how to deal with citizens and treat other people fairly in my area.

I paraphrased myself there above but that is the gist of it.

And no, I was not calling in to investigate conspiracies, and or representing the conspiracy theory community either, and with Jared Lee Loughner and the nonsense he helped misportray about our community I felt that it would shut down anyone even listening.

So, that being said, my promotion of the B.S.A. and Explorer Program were my own, and in no way meant to sidetrack the nature of the investigation and or findings, as well as the potential punishment of Sheriff Arpaio and his County officials in any way whatsoever.

It was strictly meant that the youth of America are not learning Constitutional protections before they eventually become Law Enforcement Officers.

And I did try getting three different ATS members into the teleconference call with me.

I as well have written a follow-up letter which I am mailing later today.

www.justice.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/15/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
How about our right to not be arrested and held without trial? Did you ask him about that?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
SKL, so glad that it was you that started this thread!

I honestly think that the Holder JD is on a vendetta against Sheriff Joe because of his own investigations. The overt abuse of voter registration has been ignored by Holder and lax authority has been shown to those who have flagrently shown themselves to inhibit voter activity.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is how the Chicago mob gets things done.

Question the boss, your ass gets run through a ringer.

The people of Maricopa county know full well how the MCSD is run, and they keep electing Joe, because he is effective.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

SKL sent me the number and log in, and I barely got logged in and then dragged away by work. I can verify the call happened, and SKL was on it.

Great thread!! Thanks for the invite SKL, I wish I would have gotten to listen in more. I'll be checking back in a little while.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
How about our right to not be arrested and held without trial? Did you ask him about that?

No, I didn't ask him that, it wasn't a part of the topic at hand.

The discussion was specifically about Sheriff Arpaio, Maricopa County, and the rest I mentioned.

And the reason I picked to ask about the Boy Scouts and Explorer Program is ethical decisions.

If those who pick Law Enforcement as a career choice are taught as youth the right thing they have a better chance of not only being a better citizen, but a good and decent Law Enforcement Officer, as well the surrounding community is involved in that development.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yeah, well I'll bet they pull that kind of investigation at any number of other police or sheriff's offices, and they'll find as bad or worse.

Heh, when Ron becomes Pres, the boys coming home from overseas will need jobs. Take about 20,000 of them and train them to do internal police/sheriff investigations, and send a unit to every major city in the US for starters. A new Anti-Corruption Army to bully law enforcement back into submission. Cause Internal Affairs ain't cutting it.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

well, this does seem politically motivated. Not only is he an Obama critic (and that makes this appear like possible retaliation to some folks), he is a very high profile sheriff (everyone in America knows who he is).

But I would hazard a guess that the majority of the claims in the speech have merit (judging by how I have seen it done here in local areas). Having said that, I would also hazard a guess that the same could be found, in one way or another, in just about every county in America. And municipal PD, too.

Human nature is what it is, and with authority its darker sides seem to come out. I think the question you asked is spot on. It really isn't often that you hear a logical and viable part of a solution to the rampant police misconduct in our nation.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
SKL, so glad that it was you that started this thread!

I honestly think that the Holder JD is on a vendetta against Sheriff Joe because of his own investigations. The overt abuse of voter registration has been ignored by Holder and lax authority has been shown to those who have flagrently shown themselves to inhibit voter activity.

I'm about half and half in favor of Sheriff Arpaio.

I do not think prisoners should sit in "Club Med" for their prison sentences.

But I do not think their rights should be infringed upon either.

I will see if I can find the paper I did on him and post it if anyone wants to read it.

Sheriff Arpaio: "I could be elected on pink underwear"

The pink underwear is a laugh and a half but he does border on racist beliefs.

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
This is how the Chicago mob gets things done.

Question the boss, your ass gets run through a ringer.

The people of Maricopa county know full well how the MCSD is run, and they keep electing Joe, because he is effective.

Yes, the citizens of Maricopa County knows exactly what he is doing, doesn't necessarily make it right.

Just because something is what the citizens want does not always make it legal.

We as a community accuse Government of abuses but we have to abide by the laws first.

Or else we have no right questioning the authority of Government.

And yes, I do think if Arpaio is committing criminal activities, he should go to prison.

Just like Bush Sr., just like Clinton, just like Bush, and just like Obama.

And all politicians, Law Enforcement, and Military should be held accountable.

Originally posted by getreadyalready

SKL sent me the number and log in, and I barely got logged in and then dragged away by work. I can verify the call happened, and SKL was on it.

Great thread!! Thanks for the invite SKL, I wish I would have gotten to listen in more. I'll be checking back in a little while.

I was trying to get us on the same call, you call me (I don't own a cell phone), and we call the teleconference.

That way I get to talk to you and get to know you a bit more (before the teleconference).

I had not originally planned to ask him any questions.

But that was because I did not know it would be opened to questions by citizens and organizations.

Still glad you did get into the teleconference, verifying I was there, just wish you had been able to stay.

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Yeah, well I'll bet they pull that kind of investigation at any number of other police or sheriff's offices, and they'll find as bad or worse.

Heh, when Ron becomes Pres, the boys coming home from overseas will need jobs. Take about 20,000 of them and train them to do internal police/sheriff investigations, and send a unit to every major city in the US for starters. A new Anti-Corruption Army to bully law enforcement back into submission. Cause Internal Affairs ain't cutting it.

I bet you're right about investigations into various Law Enforcement organizations.

I wouldn't bet on Ron Paul getting into office.

Even if he does he will be following marching orders and not be representing the citizens.

One of the requirements of that office is to do exactly what the people who got you that office tell you.

And the only problem with an "Anti-Corruption Army" is that it would become a Nazi organization.
edit on 12/15/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidasAnd the reason I picked to ask about the Boy Scouts and Explorer Program is ethical decisions.

If those who pick Law Enforcement as a career choice are taught as youth the right thing they have a better chance of not only being a better citizen, but a good and decent Law Enforcement Officer, as well the surrounding community is involved in that development.

i hope i am not derailing this topic and i want to understand - so, are you saying that the boy scouts and the exployer program is a good start for the development of young boys becoming law enforcement agents? please help me to understand -

from what i have been reading in past years the boy scouts are trained by homeland security - www.infowars.com...

“The Explorers program, a coeducational affiliate of the Boy Scouts of America that began 60 years ago, is training thousands of young people in skills used to confront terrorism, illegal immigration and escalating border violence — an intense ratcheting up of one of the group’s longtime missions to prepare youths for more traditional jobs as police officers and firefighters,” reports the New York Times. Homeland Security and the FBI are behind the effort to indoctrinate and train the Boy Scouts to become tomorrow’s Gestapo. “Our end goal is to create more agents,” April McKee, a senior Border Patrol agent, told the New York Times. “Before it was more about the basics,” said Johnny Longoria, a Border Patrol agent. “But now our emphasis is on terrorism, illegal entry, drugs and human smuggling.”
www.infowars.com...

of course, i do not believe everything thing i hear or read but would like a little help on understanding your point of view with regards to your position on the boy scouts and exployer program -

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

First and foremost using InfoWars as a logical jumping point isn't exactly the best idea.

In this particular thread, yes I am specifying the Boy Scouts, and Explorer Program are good.

In regards to the development of youth in development towards Law Enforcement Officer's.

They have to choose that profession of course and they have free-will to do so.

Being a Boy Scout leader now, and a former Police Explorer as a teen, I've seen it firsthand.

I did not choose that particular career path, although I almost did, and decided against it.

The Explorer Program is the career-oriented side of the Boy Scouts of America.

Meaning if there are teenagers/young adults, aged 14 through 21, interested in a career?

They have an opportunity to get involved in their area of interests and get the training.

Now, the particular career/organization, has to actually want to do this in the first place.

Does this answer your questions?

Every Police Department, Fire Department, and or branch of Homeland Security does not have a post.

Feel free to read up on the program more if you want.

Learning For Life : Real World Career Experiences

That particular story is interesting to say the least.

But there are real terrorist threats out there.

Not as many as the U.S. Government touts of course.

Remember the Hegelian Dialectic, abstract, negative, concrete, and you're good.
edit on 1/17/12 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

i knew i would be steered in the right direction - now i am quite comfortable with my grandson joining the boy scouts - he needs life skills desparately - i emailed my son your response and suggested links -

that last statement you made - thanks!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite

i knew i would be steered in the right direction - now i am quite comfortable with my grandson joining the boy scouts - he needs life skills desparately - i emailed my son your response and suggested links -

that last statement you made - thanks!

Not to worry musselwhite.

The Boy Scouts and Explorer Program are apolitical organizations.

Meaning they have no political affiliation.

And having been an adult leader now since 2006 in the BSA I can say that for sure.

This is not to say that people within it don't have agendas.

That would be like telling you that politics is fair, balanced, and easy.

My thoughts are that the Assistant Attorney General might not think about elements like that.

If programs like Learning For Life and Explorers were introduced it might stave off idiocy in the future.

new topics

top topics

join