It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Protestors Should Use "Battered Person Defense"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by beezzer

...the true test of a person isn't how or why they get knocked down.

It's how they stand back up.

I agree. And I have a special place in my heart for those who get up swinging.

I don't often say this, especially to the more "seasoned" members, but I am surprised that you could author a thread with such a negative bias towards personal responsibility.

You agree with me on the above. "Those who get up swinging" yet I find Occupy are those who "Get up complaining".

It's always easy to find fault.
It's simple to place blame.

The hard part comes in standing in front of a mirror and shouldering the responsibility for their own actions.
edit on 15-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Taking on debt is a personal choice.
Nobody has forced them at gun point to agree to the terms of any contract. [Student loans or Mortgages] I sold Real Estate for 6 years. I know the process many go through. Often times I saw choices made on emotional levels and not reasonable factors.

Sorry, but we have a difference of opinion here. Some are advocating the forgiveness of debt that they have acquired through their own activities for free.

Yet, it isn't free and will have to be picked up again by the Tax payers.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm not biased against personal responsibility - just fed up with watching everyone pressed into indentured servitude. By any name.

Why Do People Defend Unjust, Inept, and Corrupt Systems?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

All protest is done for publicity, that's the point of it...to draw attention to an issue. The event you are talking about was an impromptu plan to protest on the steps of the Supreme Court which is a misdemeanor offense, the man making the suggestion was simply informing people that if they chose to participate they WOULD be arrested and there was no money to bail anyone out after. They were protesting Citzens United and were arrested.

It's a far cry from being arrested doing something that is protected by the Constitution completely unexpectedly and wrongfully.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This would completely cheapen the experiences of people who have actually had to endure abuse from subhumans that feel the need to show their might over people weaker than them.

Even suggesting this, much less following that advice, is disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Sometimes the stereotypes that we harbor don't necessarily reflect reality.

“The vast majority of demonstrators are actually employed, and the proportion of protesters unemployed (15%) is within single digits of the national unemployment rate (9.1%). Professor Hector R. Cordero-Guzman and business analyst Harrison Schultz from the Baruch College School of Public Affair puts the unemployment rate of the Occupy protesters at 13.1%. In other words, approximately 85% employment rate.”

Source:statspotting.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

This would completely cheapen the experiences of people who have actually had to endure abuse from subhumans that feel the need to show their might over people weaker than them.

The abuse cycle spirals - it obviously starts way high up, way far back, and creates abusers who perpetuate the abuse. It should not be a great leap for you to recognize the link between larger economic and social abuses and individual disempowerment, or with the result that "subhumans" feel the need to exert some power somewhere, and "show their might over people weaker than them."

...you should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm not. I think it would be an excellent legal strategy, and absolutely appropriate to the circumstances.

edit on 16/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join