It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Protestors Should Use "Battered Person Defense"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The cycle of abuse is well-recognized in personal relationships as involving emotional, psychological, physical and / or financial abuse. Many researchers also recognize this abuse dynamic in larger cultures.

It is recognized that sustained periods of living in such a cycle can lead to battered person syndrome. This syndrome is a recognized physical and psychological condition, classified as ICD-9 code 995.81 "Battered person syndrome" NEC - and is the basis for the "battered woman defense" used in cases of physically and psychologically abused women who have killed their abusers.

OWS protestors arrested for any reason should use the "battered person defense" when they go to court, with reference to the corrupt financial and economic system that governs all our lives - and "batters" us all.

Cycle of abuse

The cycle of abuse is a social cycle theory …. explain(ing) patterns of behavior in an abusive relationship.[1]

Walker's theory rests on the idea that abusive relationships, once established, are characterized by a predictable repetitious pattern of abuse, whether emotional, psychological or physical, with psychological abuse nearly always preceding and accompanying physical abuse. Additionally, Walker suggested that sustained periods of living in such a cycle may lead to learned helplessness and battered person syndrome.

Battered person syndrome is a physical and psychological condition that is classified as ICD-9 code 995.81 "Battered person syndrome" NEC. The condition is the basis for the battered woman defense that has been used in cases of physically and psychologically abused women who have killed their abusers.

NOTE: Maxmars recently highlighted this issue on the ATS thread Why Do People Defend Unjust, Inept, and Corrupt Systems?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
OWS protestors arrested for any reason should use the "battered person defense"

OWS protestors arrested for any reason should use the 'temporary insanity due to my age and unwillingness to work for a living' defense. THAT would be closer to the truth than the 'battered person defense'.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Aw c'mon. We are battered from cradle to grave. The system is set up to protect the rich and make the poor poorer. Just look at what happened with the "bail outs."

We're facing no end of crises, and the ruling financial elite grabbed all the assets to make sure they hold the power when the dust settles.

I'd say the defense holds.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
There is evidence to support that many of these mass arrests are completely staged. In one video of an arrest in DC one of the occupy organizers is telling them that it wasn't part of the plan and that they did not have the money to bail them out.

Its all a game for publicity any way they can get it. Arrest footage of these goons is gold in the cyber world.

Time to take their medicine. No cure for 20/20 hindsight though.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Weakness isn't an excuse, is it?

You want people to say "I did it because I am a battered person, a victim of physical and psychological abuse"

Really?

Someone who really believes in their cause should never have to look for excuses to defend their behavior... If you are strong in your convictions, belief and faith in your cause, then you stand on your principles alone.. Proud and defiant to the bitter end.... Not looking for an out when in trouble, "whaah I'm a victim" doesn't help any cause.

But hey, whatever works.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

Aw c'mon. We are battered from cradle to grave. The system is set up to protect the rich and make the poor poorer. Just look at what happened with the "bail outs."

We're facing no end of crises, and the ruling financial elite grabbed all the assets to make sure they hold the power when the dust settles.

I'd say the defense holds.

Funny, as they are battered by Govt and control of Govt. Yet, they march on Business?

OWS was the useful idiot to help user in more Govt control and crap like the NDAA and Battlefield Act.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

they are battered by Govt and control of Govt. Yet, they march on Business?

Are you seriously suggesting that corporate business does NOT control our governments?

The following overview was written to describe abuse in personal relationships - but also applies to every ordinary persons' relationship with our corporate-government financial system.

Financial Abuse

Financial abuse involves forcing the victim to be financially dependent on the abuser by cutting off their access and control of money and financial information. Examples include:

* stealing from or defrauding someone;
* withholding money to buy food or medical treatment;
* manipulating or exploiting someone for financial gain;
* denying access to financial resources;
* preventing a person from working or controlling their choice of occupation;
* denying access to financial information such as how much money is coming in, how much is owed;
* controlling the bank accounts;
* forcing the person to have all expenditures and purchases approved by the abuser;
* taking away cheque book or credit cards;
* forcing the victim to work to support the abuser; and/or
* refusing to account for the spending of family money.

Also see: Judge Napolitano: We are now under martial law. Everyone in this country is now a potential terrorist

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

reply to post by macman

they are battered by Govt and control of Govt. Yet, they march on Business?

Are you seriously suggesting that corporate business does NOT control our governments?

The following overview was written to describe abuse in personal relationships - but also applies to every ordinary persons' relationship with our corporate-government financial system.

Financial Abuse

Financial abuse involves forcing the victim to be financially dependent on the abuser by cutting off their access and control of money and financial information. Examples include:

* stealing from or defrauding someone;
* withholding money to buy food or medical treatment;
* manipulating or exploiting someone for financial gain;
* denying access to financial resources;
* preventing a person from working or controlling their choice of occupation;
* denying access to financial information such as how much money is coming in, how much is owed;
* controlling the bank accounts;
* forcing the person to have all expenditures and purchases approved by the abuser;
* taking away cheque book or credit cards;
* forcing the victim to work to support the abuser; and/or
* refusing to account for the spending of family money.

Also see: Judge Napolitano: We are now under martial law. Everyone in this country is now a potential terrorist

This whole argument again?
The Govt is corrupt. Plain and simple.
The Corp does not rob my paycheck on a sliding scale, add sales tax out the wazoo, tax me on a home or create laws.
The Govt is Corrupt.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Did you read the items in the Financial Abuse list?

Do you not see how it applies?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
They need to practice occupy the ballot box for the primaries and get some effort growing

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm still in favor of the majority of them attempting to Occupy the Employment line as well.

edit on 15-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You have at least 10 million hot job leads, right?

Census data: Half of U.S. poor or low income.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There lies the problem.
No one wants to take responsibility anymore. For their actions, for their financial situation, for their social situation.

Everyone is a victim. No one is at fault.

I'm still waiting for one person to stand up and say that they are the captain of their own destiny. They decide what their future holds, regardless of government or "evil" corporations.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I read the Sunday paper every week and see hundreds of jobs available in my medium sized town here in Washington state alone. There are jobs available.

The question is, are they the type of jobs people want?

edit on 15-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's one thing to take responsibility, quite another to bend over backwards, stick your head up your butt and say, "Nothing else exists but my own personal excrement."

Believe it or not, no man is an island - and we ALL exist in the context of larger dynamics. Not to mention history.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

There are jobs available. The question is are they type of jobs people want?

Another question might be, "Do those jobs pay enough to cover the interest on the mortgage?"

...Do you advocate walking away or squatting?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Another question might be, "Do those jobs pay enough to cover the interest on the mortgage?"

Yes. Most could If people lived within their means. That takes personal responsibility, to live up to the agreements they made. To police ones own self.

19 Years ago I had to file for Bankruptcy and straighten out my own financial house [due largely to my own financial mismanagement and overspending] In the end, I had to cover my own losses but as a result am much better off presently

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

It's one thing to take responsibility, quite another to bend over backwards, stick your head up your butt and say, "Nothing else exists but my own personal excrement."

Believe it or not, no man is an island - and we ALL exist in the context of larger dynamics. Not to mention history.

Lets just focus on taking responsibility then. I'd settle for that. Life sucks. It's hard. It knocks you down.

But the true test of a person isn't how or why they get knocked down.

It's how they stand back up.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

...the true test of a person isn't how or why they get knocked down.

It's how they stand back up.

I agree. And I have a special place in my heart for those who get up swinging.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Yes. Most could If people lived within their means.

Problem is, most people took on their obligations in a different financial environment with legitimate expectations of its continuation.

19 Years ago I had to file for Bankruptcy and straighten out my own financial house [due largely to my own financial mismanagement and overspending] In the end, I had to cover my own losses but as a result am much better off presently

You're lucky. Me too, btw, but I've never had to file for bankruptcy. ...Still, you hit your wall a good 20 years before the global financial crisis - and you could go bankrupt unlike many under the new laws, and you had time to regroup and recupe. Things have changed. Really changed.

edit on 15/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join