It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vaccinations for my puppy???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by grubblesnert

please
links references.....something scientific?
?
do i detect a certain amount of paranoiac tendencies in some of these anecdotal opinions?

in america lead vaccinationas are considered a two way street BTW
edit on 15-12-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

I have killed a dog (and a few racoons) that were rabid but never had to put any domestic animal down because of an adverse reaction to a neccesary series of vaccinations.
So it's not paranoia as much as it was:
1 dead rabid dog and a few dead rabid racoons.

my facts vs. your hyperbole and questionable references
May I have your real experiences in this regard?
edit on 15-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: it's that dang spellin' thing again

edit on 15-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: remembered I forgot sumtin'

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here is some info regarding vaccine research for Foot and Mouth disease. It's quite contagious and deadly. Although it has nothing to do with dogs, it's an interesting read.

www.ars.usda.gov...

"We can grow the virus in tissue culture, and this particular protein stays behind in the culture cells when you extract the virus," explains Brown. "So you can make a vaccine from that virus, inject it into livestock, and the animals' immune systems won't make antibodies against that particular protein because it wasn't present in the vaccine.

"But if an animal has been infected with FMD virus, that protein will have been present, and you will find antibodies against it in the blood. So, to differentiate between an animal that's been vaccinated and one that was actually infected with FMD virus, you could run tests to check for antibodies against that indicator protein."

Brown and fellow ARS microbiologist John F.E. Newman are also looking at the creation of a vaccine that uses only a string of some 20 amino acids from the virus—just enough of a taste of the virus to jump-start the injected animal's immune system into producing enough antibodies to neutralize the virus. This prototype vaccine has effectively protected cattle against FMD in field tests in Argentina, Brown says.

edit on 15-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

Here is some good Q&A from a vet regarding vaccines:
www.homeovet.net...

The purpose of vaccination is to protect your pet from potentially fatal infections by pathogenic (disease-causing) viruses such as distemper, rabies, and others. The way this is done is to inject either a killed virus or a 'modified' (non-pathogenic) live virus, which sensitizes the immune system to that particular virus. Thereafter, if your dog is exposed to, let's say, parvovirus, s/he will be able to respond quickly and vigorously, producing antibodies to overcome the infection.

He goes on to say this:

In summary, there is a great deal of evidence implicating vaccination as the cause of many serious chronic health problems. For this reason, I do not recommend vaccination for dogs or cats.

In particular, I strongly recommend against vaccination for Feline Leukemia in cats, because (a) it is not very effective, and (b) I have found that vaccinated cats that subsequently contract the virus are much more likely to die from it. I also recommend against vaccination for Lyme disease and kennel cough in dogs, again due to lack of effectiveness, and the fact that these conditions are generally not very serious. As such, the potential harm of the vaccine is not justified.

In all fairness, the choice to forgo vaccination for your pets does carry some risk. Your puppy could contract parvovirus, for instance, which that particular vaccine is effective in preventing. Fortunately, parvo is generally quite easy to treat homeopathically. Distemper and infectious hepatitis are rarely seen anymore.

So, in conclusion, some vaccines should be administered, while others can be a gamble. It's all up to the owner to decide, but parvo is recommended even by those vets who are against vaccines.

This sounds like a pretty good plan, on the surface. However, as with any medical procedure, we must ask the simple and direct questions, Is it safe? Is it effective? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
reply to post by tetriswoooo

If you don't care if your puppy lives a long and healthy life, then don't vaccinate.

If you had ever seen a dog sick with parvo you wouldn't be asking ATS whether or not you should vaccinate your dog. I agree that many vaccinations are unnecessary, but rabies, parvo, and lyme can and will kill. Protect your friend.

Ask yourself this question: If your puppy contracts parvo in 14 months and dies, how guilty will you feel knowing it's your fault for not vaccinating?

i think you're getting the wrong idea i was sure as hell not getting the plethora of shots but the ones like parvo and other serious diseases i was sure i would need to take a risk and that was my impression the whole time but i am not an expert and thats why i made this thread to be sure i was doing the right thing for my pup not the best thing for the big pharma companies
edit on 15-12-2011 by tetriswoooo because: i forgot a word

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Congratulations! and BIG THANKS for educating yourself.

The motto at the low cost vet clinic I work for is "Education before Vaccination". I wish half the pet owners I deal with were so committed to keeping their pets healthy.

The vaccine protocol we use is distemper-parvo-hep-parainfluenza at 8, 12, and 16 weeks, at which time they also get their first rabies shot. State law in Texas requires two rabies vaccines within 365 days, and then every three years. We do a final DHPP at around a year, the second rabies to comply with state law, and then just a rabies every three years.

As has been mentioned, parvo is a nasty, sad thing to see in a baby. The virus lives in the ground for months, so it's always saddest to see mom bring in the new puppy they got when they bought their home, never knowing that the previous owner had a puppy die from parvo. If nothing else, make sure you protect your new pet from this disease.

We don't repeat the DHPP after that. We also do a deworming at least twice during the vaccine series. It's hella cheaper than running fecals all day, and there are a lot of parasites that won't show up till the pet gets symptomatic.

Lyme, Lepto, some of the other vaccines are very area specific. We don't vaccinate against those because dogs don't get it here. If they are hunting dogs, or you are taking them to New England, that's when we'd vaccinate against those.

Bordatella is another one we avoid. There are multiple causes of kennel cough, and the vaccine doesn't work against the ones we most commonly see. We send our clients to boarders and groomers that don't require it.

The other thing to consider is heartworm prevention. Where I'm at, 99% of dogs not on prevention, develop heartworm infestations within two years. We start them on it at 8 weeks, and keep them on it religously.

www.critteradvocacy.org has info on companion pet vaccines and some stats.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I lost a beloved dog to Parvo at 4 months old a few years ago. I stayed up for 24+ hours and held him while he slowly died in my arms. We were told that he had received all his shots by the family we adopted him from. He never left our own yard, except for supervised leash-walks. When we adopted our current dog several months later, we were also told that he had all his shots.

I didn't believe a word of it, and neither should you.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hi there... your friendly farm store farm guy here.
Our staff gets these sort of questions about a dozen times a day... and the solution is really simple, but very, very important.

I don't know what the laws are in Aussie land, but here in North Carolina... we recommend a "5 way" shot at 6 weeks. It vaccinates a puppy against 5 diseases with 5 vaccines, including parvo... thus the name "5 way" shot. I imagine with the large agricultural base in Australia, that such shots and vaccines are available.

Then at 12 weeks, you do a follow up with a "7 way" shot... further immunizing the dog and reinforcing the effects of the 5 way shot.

Then, you immunize once a year with a 7way booster shot.

Simply, mix as instructed in the vials, fill the sirenge... push out the air bubbles in the needle, pinch behind the neck and inject.

Consult your vet about other treatments such as rabies... kennel cough... or heart worms.

Also, at about 6 weeks is a good time to start a regular worming program. We suggest a mild and common wormer, and later if signs of worms do show up... then upgrade to the heavy stuff. Remember, sanitation, proper nutrition in relation to what you want from your dog is important. Usually, a general maintainance dog food with about 18% protein and 12 % fat is recommended, unless the dog is very active or a sporting or show dog.

Keep in mind that name brands are not always the best food... most are usually filler of corn meal, glutten, and meat by products...read road kill from a rendering plant....the first 5 ingredients are the most important and in the greatest amount...also avoid food dyes and potent preservatives like BHA...

To promote a good balance of dry and wet nutritious foods, we also suggest a little milk in the morning over the dry food... and real chicken broth in the afternoon... really good for the coat too.

Good Luck.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The only thing vaccinations do is keep the diseases (they are supposedly trying to prevent) cycling through the environment, and also it makes sure that the good ole 'benevolent' vet keeps seeing you in order to treat hundreds of disorders that will develop as a result of vaccinations.

Imagine a mechanic authorized to say, hey put this in your engine, it will be good for the car, and all that seems to happen is you keep returning to the same trusted mechanic for a huge variety of issues. This is the biggest scam of all. If your dog breaks a leg, take him to the vet and even then, find one of the good farm vets that will do as you ask.

Seriously, if you plan on annihilating your puppy's not even close to developed immune system with a tsunami of corrosive chemicals, pls just save some time and money , put it in a bag and throw it under a bus now. Its much more humane. Ive been on this issue for a long time. My animals are monsters of beauty, health, strenght and their own potential. Ive made many a vet recalculate their career choice because they were exposed for what botched humans they have tried to become with this abomination of a scam, to separate families from hard earned money and dearly loved pets.

Do some serious research on this. Find the woman who was a major contributor to the American Veterinary Journal of Medicine (name escapes me at the moment) who kept losing her beloved pedigreed animals to this evil scam, until she realized that in order to have exceptional animals that are resilient to every pathogen known to man, probably even bullets, is to keep them away from any sort of inoculations that the psychopathic vet syndicate prescribes.

And to the person who lost a dog to """parvo"""" after they got it already shot up with all those poisons --- ya , my head hurts too ever since i started banging it with a hammer.....

whatever ..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
UPDATE
i brought her home a few weeks ago and she is up to date with shots (9 weeks) she is a healthy happy little pup
im gonna get the 12 and 16 week shots because ive gotten the impression they are necessary but after that i dont think i will get her any more
but i still would like input

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have seen three dogs die of parvo on my street in the last year from neighbors who did NOT vaccinate.
Please, at least vaccinate with the parvo/distemper. We do not do the 7 in one shots, as in this area all that is not needed. Parvo on the other hand is Horrid here . My dogs were exposed to parvo, but were vaccinated and did not come down with in. My four month old Pyr played with that dog that died three days before, when we did not know he was infected. Even got fecees on her paws.

Had she not been vaccinated she would have been a gonner. Another dog that was not vaccinated and played with that dog also died. Parvo shots, every three weeks from six weeks , until they are 20 weeks.

I

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join