It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I know a few women in my life that have been raped. I don’t want to blame the women I know for being raped but they were stupid and naive of the world around them. At least the two women I know that come to mind, one being really close to me, could have avoided the situation.

There young, meet complete strangest and trust them, party with them all night, get slipped the date rape drug, and get raped. Wake up alone and hurting with barely and memory of what happened.

I know not all rapes are in the control of women, but a high majority, in my opinion, could have been averted by being street smart and not so trusting of the world. These girls live in a bubble and dont think anything like that could happen to them.

Their is a lot of sick guys out there and women need to keep their guard up at all times
edit on 15-12-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

i'm not trying to blame victims, but how is someone a victim when they go looking for it? if a girl is a complete tease and dresses like a slut for attention, then she shouldn't be surprised when she gets sexually assaulted.

Really ?

Because you just did.

Oh, that's right... I forgot... men are incapable of controlling themselves and thus they should not be "teased" or forced to view females dressing like "sluts" because god knows what might end up happening.

Can someone in this thread please define for me exactly what a "slut" is ?
Thank you.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre
OVER PROTECTIVE

Been there. Raised in the Dr. Spock generation. Leaned a lot.

Not with my 11 year old granddaughter. She is timed. If she is not home (or calls) at a specific time - - she is in trouble.

Parents (grandparents) are NOT your friend!

There is no training manual to be a parent. I made lots of mistakes. I am now using those mistakes - - in raising my granddaughter.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I know a few women in my life that have been raped. I don’t want to blame the women I know for being raped but they were stupid and naive of the world around them. At least the two women I know that come to mind, one being really close to me, could have avoided the situation.

There young, meet complete strangest and trust them, party with them all night, get slipped the date rape drug, and get raped. Wake up alone and hurting with barely and memory of what happened.

I know not all rapes are in the control of women, but a high majority, in my opinion, could have been averted by being street smart and not so trusting of the world. These girls live in a bubble and dont think anything like that could happen to them.

Their is a lot of sick guys out there and women need to keep their guard up at all times

And yet again, another perfect example of blaming the victim.

It doesn't matter if a woman gets filthy stinking drunk, passes out on the floor with her skirt up over her head wearing no panties... NOBODY should be touching her with a ten foot pole except for a loving friend to pick her up and carry her home. PERIOD.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
reply to post by Annee

Yes, no means no... but that is--for a fact--only one side of the coin. Everyone knows that there are certain women and young girls who talk, dress, and act provacatively in order to attract sexual attention.

MEN are responsible for themselves.

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link   

Originally posted by Angelaisaac
So what happens to little Billy when he grows up not being able to find a girlfriend. He feels rejected by women, and can't even pay for sex as an adult without having to worry about being arrested. He develops feelings of anger and resentment toward women, and blames them for his sexual repression (and feelings of rejection.) It will get to the point where he will find a way to meet those needs, and he won't feel bad about who he hurts in the process because from what he has seen on TV, women are all teases. Not realizing society is to blame for his suffering, he blames women and hurts them.

I appreciated all of your post except that which I've quoted above, which is complete and utter bull. I was never, am not now, and never will be a stud with the ladies; but I am not capable of rape. I also have plenty of mysogynistic feelings--more than a little resentment and bitterness towards women--but again, I'm no rapist; I don't have the capability.

People need to understand that the capacity for rape is an evil in its own class; it stands alone. Modern psychiatry has a very long way to go in understanding what makes certain people capable of committing such crimes.

link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Women have been the victims of crime and rape since the dawn of man. Its always been around and it will always be around. Yeah, the guys are wrong and it’s not going to change the fact that they are looking for an easy target. If women learned to keep their guard up and be more street smart and less open to complete strangers, I know there would be less rapes.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

And yet again, another perfect example of blaming the victim.

It doesn't matter if a woman gets filthy stinking drunk, passes out on the floor with her skirt up over her head wearing no panties... NOBODY should be touching her with a ten foot pole except for a loving friend to pick her up and carry her home. PERIOD.

I agree with that but why put yourself in that Situation?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelaisaac

And that is the damn truth right there.

We're all trying to be prudish whores to satisfy the impossibly irrational standards of the world around us and as a consequence never sexually maturing as open and loving adults.

America and to a lesser extent the whole of humanity has been sexually and emotionally stunted for as long as ...well..... as long as there has been record.

Who started all this anyway?

Werent the "Founding Fathers" all swingers and heathens? I know Franklin was an orgy guy. Where did we go wrong?
edit on 15-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Whilst girls are out, often they may take risks but this in no way means they are responsible or could have prevented it in all cases.

If a person drives around in a posh car, should they expect to be car jacked?

Reporting of rape will continue to go down each year, as the cases of rape may even increase because women and girls know that most of the time, people you tell think you deserved it or in some way caused it.

Getting a conviction in rape cases is very rare compared to the number of incidences because many people side with the accuser, who generally come across as genuine nice people, that is often how they get the victim into the situation in the first place.

Namaste

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Women have been the victims of crime and rape since the dawn of man. Its always been around and it will always be around. Yeah, the guys are wrong and it’s not going to change the fact that they are looking for an easy target. If women learned to keep their guard up and be more street smart and less open to complete strangers, I know there would be less rapes.

Well, unfortunately you're right about that.

The raping of women and children has been around since history began and it will never go away.

And the really really down side of that ? When women are young (teenagers who think they know it all for example) they are not worldly enough to wake up to the reality yet that the male gender is not to be trusted with regards to sexual arousal and response... especially the teenage male gender.

How pathetic is it that the male gender cannot be trusted to always be forthright under various circumstances ?

The more I see and hear in the world, the more I truly do believe that we are nothing more than animals still swinging from the trees.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It’s the equivalent of me walking down east Compton ( A really bad city) With a sign around my neck saying “I’m carrying a million dollars and I’m un armed”. You bet the locals are going to jump me and steel my million dollars. Is is wrong for them to take my money, yes. Could have it been avoided, yes. You don’t put yourself in that situation. A smart person would not do that.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by unworldly

I think you misunderstand that part of my post. I used a story to illustrate the problems in society. I certainly did not use a story with the intentions of implying that men who are not "studs" turn into rapists.
The rapists I have come in contact with had MAJOR issues with being rejected by women in their pasts. I used that example in my scenario for the sake of UNDERSTANDING where that person might be coming from, not to vilify someone who isn't a ladies man.
I hope I cleared that up because I don't want anyone else misreading that either, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Yeah, people cannot take a joke.

I think 1 in 5 sounds a bit crazy... as well. Also chicks need to be a little more street smart... stop getting so intoxicated around people you do not know, stop dressing super slutty, etc etc. No I am not justifying rape or any sort of violence, but what do you think is going to happen? Humans are animals, it is pretty obvious...

I also think a lot of chicks are just fked in the head and want attention or regret the stuff they did the night before because they got too intoxicated so they say they were taken advantage of... If you cannot remember your night and then regret it maybe you need to cut down on the drinking/whatever else you do.... My reply is stop being so fking stupid and control yourself or just do not go out since you are too immature to handle a social situation.

On the other hand I think real rapists should be killed because I believe you cannot rehabilitate someone like that.. also they just waste our tax money rotting away in jail. It's another 30k to 40k dollars a year we could be using for education or something per asshat in jail.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

Well, unfortunately you're right about that.

The raping of women and children has been around since history began and it will never go away.

And the really really down side of that ? When women are young (teenagers who think they know it all for example) they are not worldly enough to wake up to the reality yet that the male gender is not to be trusted with regards to sexual arousal and response... especially the teenage male gender.

How pathetic is it that the male gender cannot be trusted to always be forthright under various circumstances ?

The more I see and hear in the world, the more I truly do believe that we are nothing more than animals still swinging from the trees.

Thats my point, as a male, men are sick, woman should not be all trusting, Especial to male teens. A mans mind is wired alot different then a womans and alot of men see woman as just meat. Its the cold hard facts. Not all of us are like that but there is a large number.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have an 18 year old grandson who is still a virgin.

I worked hard with him - - explaining the difference between Lust and Love. Lust (pheromones - natural chemicals) enticing the body to reproduce. And LOVE - - real LOVE as a responsibility and commitment.

Oh - I know the difference for sure - - - getting divorced right in the middle of the sexual revolution. There is nothing like that first time Lust chemical attraction. It "rocks the Heavens". But it is not real. At least not real for a long time relationship of real LOVE.

If you are chemically (LUST) attracted to someone - - you better make a list of your own wants and needs. If they don't fit that list - - Sayanora!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

30% of Women in Military were Raped....

The old "They Asked For It " excuse is so so lame.

The problem has long been that many if not most Rapes are even reported. Women want to save their dignity and not be another victim of demoralizing medical exams and court testimony due to a Male Dominated perspective on this violent crime.

Look at the US Military Rape Statistics where almost 1 in 3 Women in the US Military are Forcibly Sexually Assaulted.

According to NPR, “In 2003, a survey of female veterans found that 30 percent said they were raped in the military. A 2004 study of veterans who were seeking help for post-traumatic stress disorder found that 71 percent of the women said they were sexually assaulted or raped while serving. And a 1995 study of female veterans of the Gulf and earlier wars, found that 90 percent had been sexually harassed.”

Why can't we all live amongst one another in ...

Peace

newsjunkiepost.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

It’s the equivalent of me walking down east Compton ( A really bad city)

Hey!

That is my birth place. OK - so I moved soon after.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threegirls

If a person drives around in a posh car, should they expect to be car jacked?

If they roll through a crappy crime-ridden part of town they should.

Though not her fault the chances of her being a victim in a short-skirt and f-me boots black out drunk at a frat party are a tad higher than if she were in a supermarket aisle in sweatpants.

Just as I have a better chance of being blown up by a land mine while running through a mine field rather than a soccer field.

I know, I know, landmines cant think. But neither can a puking drunk frat boy at 3AM.

There are things people do that put them in high-risk situations. Listening to iPods too loud or drinking or speeding. A lot of things can either make your day less safe or more safe. That's just life.

Is a short skirt unsafe? Hell no. The idea of "dressing like she wanted it" is preposterous. Is surrounding yourself with drunken, strong, hormone ruled young men playing to peer pressure and fictionalized masculine identity likely to increase the chances of an assault? More so than not being in that situation would.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Thats my point, as a male, men are sick, woman should not be all trusting, Especial to male teens. A mans mind is wired alot different then a womans and alot of men see woman as just meat. Its the cold hard facts. Not all of us are like that but there is a large number.

Actually, I think there are a lot of us like that, but the majority of us have the conscience and conscious to keep it in check and make good decisions.

A co-worker of mine once said, "It is a dam shame that God gave us two heads but only enough blood to work them one at a time."

There is an animalistic instinct in men from our species earlier days and it hasn't gone anywhere, but the society has outgrown the need for it, and we now live in a state of repression. Most men are rational enough to survive in this state, but not all.
edit on 15-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join