Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
I'd guess that most rapes are not the dark alley/malicious stranger type; most are people who the victim knew and trusted. Think date rape.

Yep!

Raped by an ex-boyfriend. He claimed "I wanted it".

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Reply to post by nixie_nox

As though locking up an innocent man makes up for a criminal gone free?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It would be interesting now - to ascertain what the females state on this vs the males.

Most (not all) males tend to vehemently protect the male species.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If they needed a study to come to this 20% conclusion ? Then there must be a percentage of that which chose not to complain and another percent that actually liked it ? I know that sounds extremely hostile towards women
but doesn't logic suggest that this is a reasonable thing to ponder ? Say, criminally and/or legally ?

Please ladies I mean no disrespect.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Ive personally witnessed that very thing and the resulting investigation which lead to the discovery of the bogus claim.

For every possibility regardless of how far fetched or insane there are minds out there working in just that way.

People cut themselves all the time for attention. Why not cry "wolf" for it? Everybody loves pity and the media turns victims into heroes everyday.

I've witnessed the same exact thin personally but I've also talked to many women that were raped that didn't report it. I'd have to say from my personal experiences that for every false claim there are 20 times more incidents that happened that went unreported.

There is some dark stuff that never comes to light in some peoples past.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Convicted Rapists should be castrated. No Second Chances. Zero Tolerance. Do you want those individuals reproducing and raising children that you know they will abuse? These individuals are mentally ill, defective breeding animals, castrate them.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

My daughter the last day of her freshman year in HS an upperclassman used threats to harm ME to force her to. It took until she was almost 18 to tell me, I didn't know what to do or what happened, she suppressed it, got physically ill we had every test run under the sun on her thing, she'd go pale and pass out and then she started having panic attics, got her into a psych and he knew something happened but she just nothing...then she develop agoraphobia finished HS online cause. When she told me we called the police, He was the nephew of a police officer so......they did nothing to him.

She finally starts to have a semi normal life again ..

In June started dating this guy he always seemed times nice enough and respectful, but she found out he smoked pot way too for her to tolerate so she was going to end it. he met her at her Dad's 1/2 hour before he got home...He strangled her , he bit her, he scratched her, she was bruised, bloody and because she quit fighting and gave in....what I said above.

Her psychiatrist says she's got PTSD as bad as the war vets 's seen
edit on 12/15/11 by Pixiefyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I hardly believe the 20% figure. I also agree that a lot of women make these stories up (saying they got raped yet didnt tell the man no nor resisted
), mostly for pity/attention, they also will say a man raped them just to try and get them thrown in jail (I wish I could get a statistic on how many have tried this but lost in court) ive heard it first hand many times.

Seems like a strong case for legalizing prostitution to me. Good luck getting these guys off the street when sex is shoved down your throat every second of the day, and then all these guys who dont look like a movie star and arent rich cant get any they start to get desperate, legal prostitutes would solve the problem for at least 80% of them id guess, but the bible thumpers think its a big no-no so their little girls will just have to keep getting raped.
edit on 15-12-2011 by A-Dub because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown

Getting drunk, going home with some guy and going too far with him IS NOT RAPE.

And calling it so just belittles the Real Victims that have experience the real Crime of Rape.

You are right--that is not rape. That is consentual. Even if when you sober up you wish you hadn't done it. Still consentual.

But just because you get drunk and go home with someone does not mean that they CAN'T be guilty of rape. Drunk girls still have the right to say no.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Although I do agree with you, it has been stated a few times in this thread.
After thinking about it, I have watched many documentaries and tv shows about prisons, and it seems, rapist and child molesters are very much disliked in the prison system and would most likely end up being raped themselves. And that is a pretty big punishment along with being locked up for an extended amount of time. And I do not believe that deters rapist from the crime. So I am not sure how much of an effect would be, if the law was to remove the male private part if rape was committed...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
Convicted Rapists should be castrated. No Second Chances. Zero Tolerance. Do you want those individuals reproducing and raising children that you know they will abuse? These individuals are mentally ill, defective breeding animals, castrate them.

I could applaud your way of thinking if not for two things. This would be considered cruel and unusal punishment
and a double whammy for those falsely convicted or framed. The system isn't perfect and to castrate an innocent man ? Well, who wants any part in that?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So, did someone just watch "vagina monologue"?

Women are "supposed to look" like; whores, sluts, dick teases, drunks, painted faces.

Magazines tell them so. TV tells them so. Society tells them so.

Are you amazed when some slut-whore gets raped when she is falling over drunk, 12am in the morning in the USA? Certainly, they didn't ASK FOR IT indirectly, now did they? Are they the victims, or are the rapists the victims here?

This thread is a joke, i'm guessing....

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
As a victim of rape, I 100% believe it.

To those who doubt it, most women never report their rape(i'm guilty of that).

Most rapes are done by people they trusted. Don't automatically assume it's random rapes.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm a male, and I'll gladly jump in on the side of women here. I don't think I know a single woman my age that hasn't been at least date-raped, and a bunch have been forcibly raped while asking the person to stop.

Now, it isn't always violent assault. It might be waking up to an acquaintance (roommate, friend of a friend, friend of a family member, stranger at a party, etc.) that has already started, and they try to make him stop, and he eventually does stop, but the intercourse still occurred. Other times it might be a coercion of sorts where they are forced to have sex to prevent some physical or emotional trauma from befalling a loved one (mother, sister, etc.). To me, this is even worse than the physical rape. They actually get forced to agree to the sex. I know many women that have given into sex with a step-father or mother's boyfriend in order to protect a younger sibling or a mother from harm.

In some cases it is an ex-lover that still feels entitled, and they use a little bit of trust and a lot of physical coercion to get into a compromising position and take what they want.

I think, if we rule in all of the multiple ways women are taken advantage of, the numbers could be close to 100%.

That said, I don't think all the offenders deserve jail. I think only the forcible rape of anyone, or coercion of a minor deserve jail, but I do think all the other forms deserve some street justice.

I know there are a couple of people on my radar that better not cross my path, because they have done things not worth reporting to the police, but definitely worth an intimate confrontation to see how well they like being controlled by a bigger, stronger, meaner person.
edit on 15-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

As though locking up an innocent man makes up for a criminal gone free?

According to the American Medical Association (1995), sexual violence, and rape in particular, is considered the most under-reported violent crime.[6][7] The rate of reporting, prosecution and convictions for rape varies considerably in different jurisdictions. The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (1999) estimated that 91% of U.S. rape victims are female and 9% are male, with 99% of the offenders being male.[8] Rape by strangers is usually less common than rape by persons the victim knows,[9][10][11][12][13] and several studies argue that male-male and female-female prison rape are quite common and may be the least reported forms of rape.[14][15][1

The most common reasons given by victims for not reporting rapes are the belief that it is a personal or private matter, and that they fear reprisal from the assailant. A 2007 government report in England says "Estimates from research suggest that between 75 and 95 per cent of rape crimes are never reported to the police."[6]

wiki

This statistic is almost meaningless, as many of the jurisdictions from which the FBI collects data on crime use different definitions of, or criteria for, "unfounded." That is, a report of rape might be classified as unfounded (rather than as forcible rape) if the alleged victim did not try to fight off the suspect, if the alleged perpetrator did not use physical force or a weapon of some sort, if the alleged victim did not sustain any physical injuries, or if the alleged victim and the accused had a prior sexual relationship. Similarly, a report might be deemed unfounded if there is no physical evidence or too many inconsistencies between the accuser's statement and what evidence does exist. As such, although some unfounded cases of rape may be false or fabricated, not all unfounded cases are false.[10]

wiki rape statistics

The largest and most rigorous study was commissioned by the British Home Office and based on 2,643 sexual assault cases (Kelly, Lovett, and Regan, 2005). Of these, 8% were classified by the police department as false reports. Yet the researchers noted that some of these classifications were based simply on the personal judgments of the police investigators and were made in violation of official criteria for establishing a false allegation. Closer analysis of this category applying the Home Office counting rules for establishing a false allegation and excluding cases where the application of the cases where confirmation of the designation was uncertain reduced the percentage of false reports to 3%.

So out of 250,000 actual rapes reported each year, you just go one with your crusade and defend those 7500 that were wrongly accussed. Your my hero.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

8% of men admit committing acts that meet the legal definition of rape or attempted rape. Of these men who committed rape, 84% said that what they did was definitely not rape. (1)

In a study done in the 1980s, 5% of rape survivors went to the police. (1)

link

Even the FBI states around 87-90k rapes happen a year. multiply that by 20 and You get 1,740,000.

1,740,000 multiplied by 10 = about 11% of the female population having been raped in a 10 year period.

So since the life expectancy is 70 plus years it is very conceivable for well over 20% (using these numbers 70%) of women to have been raped at some point in their lifetime.

The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police. U.S. Justice Department statistics are even lower, with only 26% of all rapes or attempted rapes being reported to law enforcement officials.

www.paralumun.com...

even with the FBI's own 90k rapes reported multiplied by 3 equaling 270,00 over a 10 year period is 2,700,000, given a 70 year life expectancy is still going to be 11-13% of women can be expected to be raped in their lifetime.

Now since we won't want to use the extremes on either end ( 70% seems kind of high and the government is known for under exaggerating the truth when it serves them) I would have to say 20-25% is totally within the realm of possibility.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreshNugget
So, did someone just watch "vagina monologue"?

Women are "supposed to look" like; whores, sluts, dick teases, drunks, painted faces.

Magazines tell them so. TV tells them so. Society tells them so.

Are you amazed when some slut-whore gets raped when she is falling over drunk, 12am in the morning in the USA? Certainly, they didn't ASK FOR IT indirectly, now did they? Are they the victims, or are the rapists the victims here?

This thread is a joke, i'm guessing....

Nice, very reasonable. I thought I was pushing the envelope. I mean empathy ?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Rape or Allegid Rape?

Fact is some women feel empowered by "saying" they were raped, when in fact they were not.

I have seen many many alleged rapes where it eventually comes out that, in reality the woman was either just looking for sympathy, hiding something, or trying to get revenge.

This is not uncommon at all, and in fact should impose stricter punishments than actual rape incidence, as it causes actual rape victims to become the victimized by not only the accused, but also by the women who make false allegations, because it causes the court system to view the accuser as the bad guy to find the truth.

This in turn makes it less common for a rape victim to actually even admit to being raped for fear of judgement.

This is why I question the accuracy of the study.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You may be willing to throw everyone in prison and only let out those proven innocent. I am not.

A fundamental perspective difference.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm with You getreadyalready, while I cannot say I don't know a single woman that hasn't been sexually assaulted/raped I can safely say that 85-90% of the women I know have been.

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join