It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Hydroman ... seriously dude ... YUK.

That being said ... the OP stats don't match FBI and police stats but know what? I'm not surprised. Rape goes under reported. Women are shamed into silence - like they are to blame or are now dirty or something. Also - Women in certain religious and ethnic groups in the world are raised to 'take it' by the men.

I have no idea if that 20% stat is true for the USA ... if molestation and incest are included in that stat then I'd be willing to bet it's a true statistic. I'd also bet that stat would be higher in some Asian and Islamic countries ...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
All I can say is B### S### !

In no way is 20% of the females in the US a victim of Rape.

I bet it is higher.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Practically 100% of women are never raped who know how to use common sense and avoid people and situations that are best left alone. Yet, despite the fact that the world is becoming more dangerous to live in--not less--women are more enthralled than ever with partying, badboys, and a lifestyle that is anything but safe.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister
For future reference, the addition of smileys in no way decreases the irrelevance of your post... in fact, I have noted a pretty direct relationship with the number of smileys and the irrelevance of post content.

THE BILLMEISTER

Copy that gold leader.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Perhaps I should start over. My name is Hydroman and I do not want to be raped in real life.

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Hydroman
True rape is disgusting and I don't think anyone here is defending it.

Yet you trivialized it by saying you wish you would be raped...

Sick but true psychology fact .... Most men fantasize about raping women. They won't admit it out in the open in our society, but they admit it in blind questionaires. Evolutionary Psychology course in college. Further reading - "Evolutionary Psychology the new science of the mind" David M. Buss.

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I bet it is higher.

Please tell me you're joking.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Perhaps I should start over. My name is Hydroman and I do not want to be raped in real life.

That makes me wonder.
What is the percentage of boys/men who get raped, including in jail/prison.
That could be an interesting comparison.

link   

Originally posted by unworldly
Practically 100% of women are never raped who know how to use common sense and avoid people and situations that are best left alone. Yet, despite the fact that the world is becoming more dangerous to live in--not less--women are more enthralled than ever with partying, badboys, and a lifestyle that is anything but safe.

:shk: :shk: :shk:

I'll take a one line hit from the moderators for that ... but I don't care.
100%? That's so absurd and wrong .... I just ... well ....

edit on 12/15/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Billmeister

Originally posted by brokedown
reply to post by Billmeister

This is your thread, you are the one who came on the scene with the 20% figure.

Actually, I posted a BBC article which quotes the Center For Disease Control study results. And I have absolutely no idea as to what they would gain from skewing the statistics.

The BBC headline is at fault because it is a false representation of the actual study which says 'rape or attempted rape'. Why let the facts get in the way of an attention grabbing headline? And I guess the OP is guilty of regurgitating it without taking a proper look.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Wait, I wasn't fantasizing about me raping someone else. I was saying that I would be the victim. But it was all a joke because I'm a horny old man.....a horny old man who would not rape someone else.

edit on 15-12-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240
That makes me wonder.
What is the percentage of boys/men who get raped, including in jail/prison.
That could be an interesting comparison.
I was actually wondering that myself. I'm sure it happens a lot in prison, but in the non-prison world, I wonder what the facts are on that?

link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

I bet it is higher.

Please tell me you're joking.

No, I am not, I can name four women I know personally now, including myself, as a child.

None were reported, and we are all now older women, one was my mother, she is deceased.

BTW, I did talk about it on another topic recently, I really regret it and here I am talking about it again.

It took days for me to clear my head.

Oh and my mother never told anyone except me and it was just before she died, interesting how women hide this crime.
edit on 093131p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

link   
Found one.
Pretty interesting really, of course the results are lower than woman, but I think it adds to the discussion

About 3% of American men – a total of 2.78 million men – have experienced a rape at some point in their lifetime (Tjaden & Thoennes, 2006). In 2003, one in every ten rape victims was male. While there are no reliable annual surveys of sexual assaults on children, the Justice Department has estimated that one of six victims are under age 12 (National Crime Victimization Study, 2003). 71% of male victims were first raped before their 18th birthday; 16.6% were 18-24 years old, and 12.3% were 25 or older (Tjaden & Thoennes, 2006). Males are the least likely to report a sexual assault, though it is estimated that they make up 10% of all victims (RAINN, 2006). 22% of male inmates have been raped at least once during their incarceration; roughly 420,000 prisoners each year (Human Rights Watch, 2001).

Link

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Your statement from another thread

Your distrust in the system is well founded, in that the Nation has been repeatedly lied to and tricked, year after year.

Now in this thread You use statistics from a government (FBI) website to prove Your point.

So what is it? does the Government lie to us or are their statistics true and above question? You cannot call them liars in one instance and then use their words as proof of Your claims in another.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I was saying that I would be the victim.

Then I think you are describing a S&M trist ... or some play bondage thing ... or a three-sum with you as the only male ... not an actual rape where you are a real victim.

Victim definitions -
1. A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
2. A person who is tricked or duped: "the victim of a hoax".

If you are a real victim .. then you don't enjoy what is happening.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

I don't understand what is wrong with people.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Originally posted by starchild10

The BBC headline is at fault because it is a false representation of the actual study which says 'rape or attempted rape'. Why let the facts get in the way of an attention grabbing headline?

That is the nature of media these days... the thing is, we know it, and can adjust to it.

And I guess the OP is guilty of regurgitating it without taking a proper look.

I made sure to post... the very first paragraph in my OP actually, the section of the article which quotes the correct stats.

In case you missed it, here it is again:

Among the key figures included in the survey's findings were:

more than one million women reported being raped in the 12 months prior to the survey
more than six million women and men were a victim of stalking
more than 12 million women and men reported rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner over the course of a year.

Cheers,

the Billmeister

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Point taken. Maybe I should have put victim in quotes.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I don't understand what is wrong with people.

If you did, then you'd be god.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join