It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 24
<< 21  22  23   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister
SOURCE ARTICLE

Among the key figures included in the survey's findings were:

more than one million women reported being raped in the 12 months prior to the survey
more than six million women and men were a victim of stalking
more than 12 million women and men reported rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner over the course of a year.

"People who experience sexual violence, stalking or intimate partner violence often deal with the effects for their entire life," said Dr Linda Degutis, director of CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Among the effects measured by the study, Dr Degutis said, were increased fears for safety and incidents of post-traumatic stress among victims.

Clinical conditions including asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, frequent headaches, chronic pain and difficulty sleeping were also more likely in women who are raped or subject to assault.

This is simply astounding and very, very depressing, yet important to discuss.

Rape is a violent crime, yes, it involves sex, but at it's core it is a violent attack on another human being. Now, what kind of social environment creates this many people capable of such despicable violent acts on fellow human beings?

Very seriously, I cannot imagine what type of mindset someone must be in to commit such atrocious acts... I hesitate when swatting a fly for crying out loud!

I will throw this out for the sake of discussion... should rapists be considered and treated as TERRORISTS?

Why not... I'm certain that a serial rapist causes much more fear (see: terror) in a community, than a boogeyman half way around the world who we only ever see on TV.

Violence, especially against women, is a HUGE problem all over the world, and it is about time that something serious is done about it.

the Billmeister

p.s.
Wasn't quite sure what forum to post this in.

I think the reality behind these numbers is a little less impressive then it at first might seem.

This is the number of "reported" rapes.This ofcourse does not make them actual rapes.Any one ,man or woman can report a rape.And ofcourse the definition of rape.Where i am from ,in paper ,putting a finger in someones ear or mouth can legaly be called rape and reported as such.

So yeah i am 100% sure these numbers are bloated.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
Wouldn't be surprised by this.. I know a lot who go clubbing and get drunk and get groped and sexually assaulted in the progress.

So are you saying it's the womans fault?? Just wondering. That seems like a pretty ignorant stance if you are.

<< 21  22  23   >>

join