It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

Rape is probably the worst crime that can be committed by anyone, in my opinion anyway. But seriously how they hell could they have studied this, I mean on did you get a phone call asking if you'd been raped or anything else? I didn't think so. And don't give a shpeel about how they choose who they survey by demographics and it's actually a statistical representation of whats true. If it is they either 1.Caught all the rapists and they confessed or 2. they're full of #.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i don't buy these numbers at all.

here's a little something from the bureau of justice statistics on crime rates. seems like TOTAL violent crime rates fall around 470 per 100,000. this includes rape, assault, murder, and robbery. rape accounts for about 35 of the 470.

this study simply couldn't refer to 20% raped. even if you added all "sexual assault" (something as tame as a smack on the ass, or groping. pretty much all of which is unreported), it would still be far fetched.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? If rape, in this case, is defined as penetration - this cannot be true. The survey is very inaccurate and clearly biased.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MoosKept240

I don't understand what is wrong with people.

A lot!

I will say though, I have yet to hear one person talk of a way to prevent/reduce rape. In this thread

I believe if prostitution was legal, that the amount of rapes would decline greatly.
There would be no need to force yourself on someone, when you could just go get it. And even then, if that was your thing, then you could just pay someone for it, in a much safer scenario.
I mean prostitution is not safe, but if you look at the alternative, I think it doesn't sound so bad.
edit on 15-12-2011 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

Some things that can help prevent it, always go out with friends and have a mutual understanding that you are looking out for each other.

Never get mixed drinks or open glasses in a club and never leave your drink unattended. Only drink factory sealed cans or bottles. They actually manufacture coasters and mixer sticks that have a built in test for some date rape drugs.

Always carry a knife and know how to use it with devastating effect.

If legal in your country, conceal carry. A snub nose .38 in trained hands can be very motivational.

Don't get wasted in public. If you want to get #faced, do it at home away from a crowd.

Still sometimes you can't prevent things no matter how much you prepare. If someone is determined to take something and has the element of surprise you can only do so much.

On your second point, I do not think that prostitution would do much to curb rape. I think that the perpetrator is more likely seeking to fulfill a desire for domination and control. Even in places where prostitution is illegal prostitutes still exists and I'm willing to wager that finding a hooker is far easier than committing rape. These criminals are sociopaths and as such will get what they are after, everybody else be damned.

As for the OP, the inclusion of other crimes in the statistics with rape make the numbers worthless. Too much data lumped into one giant category.

"Figures don't lie but liars figure."

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'd say 4/5 women in the US are spoiled.

That given, I'd say 1/3 out of that 4/5 are mentally twisted and think anything they did wrong was someone else fault.

Therefore, disregarding the math, I'd say the more likely number is anywhere from 2-5% of actual "rape victims".

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i know plenty of teenage girls that lie about being raped. apparently it's the thing to have happened to you in small towns

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by HappyBunny

Not to sound all ultra conservative, but a simple double wall system would work. No sex until marriage, and a gun in the side bag if you refuse.

If you are willing to wait that long, it proves patience with the woman's will, and respect.

These archaic behaviors certainly had merit to them. I for one obey them.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

waiting to have sex until youre married is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life hands down. star

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It could just be me, but 20% seems absurdly high.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

waiting to have sex until youre married is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life hands down.

Why? What is wrong with wanting to remain pure for a future spouse?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

waiting to have sex until youre married is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life hands down.

Why? What is wrong with wanting to remain pure for a future spouse?

"pure" is just some abstract word that has no practical meaning in the real world. You can't know if you want to marry someone without first having sex with them. Because sex is part of it. A marriage is there to tend to certain needs and desire. There are emotional needs and sexual needs. Marrying without knowing if someone can please you in both areas could be a problem

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

"pure" is just some abstract word that has no practical meaning in the real world.

lol? Because you say so?

You can't know if you want to marry someone without first having sex with them.

Not true. People have been doing this for thousands of years.

Because sex is part of it. A marriage is there to tend to certain needs and desire. There are emotional needs and sexual needs. Marrying without knowing if someone can please you in both areas could be a problem.

What makes sex great is the emotional intimacy shared with the other person. You don't need to have sex with someone to build emotional intimacy.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

What makes sex great is the emotional intimacy shared with the other person.

Certainly not always the case with me.

You don't need to have sex with someone to build emotional intimacy.

Agreed

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

"pure" is just some abstract word that has no practical meaning in the real world.

lol? Because you say so?
no but it has no real existence, only in your mind

You can't know if you want to marry someone without first having sex with them.

Not true. People have been doing this for thousands of years.
and people have been having premarital sex longer

Because sex is part of it. A marriage is there to tend to certain needs and desire. There are emotional needs and sexual needs. Marrying without knowing if someone can please you in both areas could be a problem.

What makes sex great is the emotional intimacy shared with the other person. You don't need to have sex with someone to build emotional intimacy.

I agree you don't need to have sex to build up to emotional intimacy. But that doesn't dismiss that sex is important

edit i messed up but you can still see my points in the quotation field
edit on 15-12-2011 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Actually this does not surprise me. I have to say that is accurate, about 1 out of 5 women "maybe more" i have been close to have told me these horror stories. But not just that but being molested. I guess a few guys i knew growing up with heard that they have forced themselves on females when they were passed out drunk and took advantage of them. It is not a popular subject and secrets like these are kept hush hush out of embarrassment and pain.

But have had dated or had relationships with past victims and it did affect them in the sex life and cause emotional problems. A sick society we live in .

Men can be such pigs... A Man
edit on 16-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It's sad that when a woman admits after years of being silent, and I mean admitting it to a trusted female friend, that she has been raped in the past, she still feels guilty and ashamed, like she was somehow responsible. This goes for every kind of rape be it by a stranger, family member or aquaintance. 100% of my close female friends have been raped at one point or another. One friend at a young age by two of her brothers, another by her stepfather, another one by a complete stranger, another one after having her apartment broken into. My mother was the victim of an attempted rape, the only thing that stopped it was my appearance at the scene. He was an ex-boyfriend. Two of my friends were raped after being drugged, and these druggings did not happen in a bar. Only in one of these cases were the police called and it was me who called them. They never showed up.

As for whether or not the statistics back up what we know to be true, I don't give a #. We know.

I applaud all the women on this thread who have had the guts to write about their experiences with this topic openly here. It's not easy, it brings up raw wounds. And the disbelief and blame the victim game that is still going on twists the knife a little more in an already deep wound that will never fully heal.

Some men will go on about how they have lost their 'status' so to speak of being the providers and protectors, these are or were roles that made them feel needed and important. Well then start being protectors. It is men who are assaulting us. When are men gonna start standing up to other men about this # instead of being defensive thinking that their male gender is being maligned by devious women who just have to be lying because it just cannot possibly be true and if it is true it was somehow their own fault.

This is an epidemic, and has been on for a very long time. When are the men, our protectors, gonna do something like form a protest in public and loudly proclaim in front of the media that they are sick of their mothers, daughters, sisters and female friends being sexually harrassed and raped and over-sexualized by the media as well as by men and killed in homicides.
I mean for crying out loud, female toddlers are now being sexualized in "Toddlers and Tiaras". What is it gonna take.

When are men gonna say, on our behalf, that their not gonna take it anymore.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I agree you don't need to have sex to build up to emotional intimacy. But that doesn't dismiss that sex is important

I never said sex wasn't important, I said you don't need to test drive the car before you buy it.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This survey was undoubtedly paid for by the same screwballs that scared Obama out of creating thousands of jobs and lowering our foreign-oil dependence with the Keystone Oil Pipeline. They told him that 70% of the country would hate his guts for doing this...and he believed it!

We once had a neighbor who told me that one of my friends undressed and raped her with his eyes.. I suppose she's one of the 20%. If rape were that prevelant and yet un-reported, it would would dilute the seriousness of this crime. Rape in the USA would then be just "one of those things", like it is in some of the countries where men routinely abuse women.
-CWM

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I never said sex wasn't important, I said you don't need to test drive the car before you buy it.

rofl and we all know thats a stupid move

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
i know plenty of teenage girls that lie about being raped. apparently it's the thing to have happened to you in small towns

That is always a possibility, but not the victims i have known. It was kind of a turn off for me after they would tell me sobbing and shaking. I felt terrible and then felt like comforting them with a nice bowl of grandmas chicken noodle soup or something. I guess if a female is wanting sympathy they will certainly get soup and even ice cream from me. But in the situations i was in they had nothing to gain and were adamant about it. They weren't the manipulating type.

I even had a female good friend of mine get raped by a so called friend of my circle. Well we picked him up one night after a party and grilled him and he admitted he took advantage and got the beating of a life time out in some corn field in IOWA years ago. She committed suicide weeks later. the rapist never got prosecuted but he left town never heard from him again.

He is probably still out there somewhere preying on women and raping
edit on 16-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by batgirl

Honestly, because most men enjoy it. Women are just sex objects to them, and they are rather primitive in thinking. They're hard-wired to enjoy seeing women over-sexualized.
Remember the quote "sex sells"? Well it's true. Sex and sexualizing women sells stuff to men.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join