It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 20% of women in the US are raped, study reveals

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx
Rape is wrong in any context. But I have seen women make unbelievably stupid decisions that just set them up for danger, and that is certainly not a smart decision. Whenever I go to a club, I look at my fellow women dressed in... well, things that I wouldn't even consider to be clothes. And the way they dance... I mean, my God. A few weeks ago, I watched a group of scantily clad women bent over the bar table (like, bent in a right-angle) with men humping them from behind. And apparently, THAT'S considered dancing. It was so graphic, for all I know, there was actual penetration going on.

But unlike a lot of guys here... I'm not going to say that those women were "asking for it" if anything bad happened to them later in the night. Although they certainly weren't acting responsible - no one "asks for it" when rape happens. That's why it's "rape".

But of course, you don't have to be dancing around like a promiscuous trollop to get targeted. For example, that same night, I was wearing jeans and a tank top, just hanging out with friends on the sofa in the corner of the club. And yet, I still managed to get something put in my drink. I'm just lucky I don't go places like that alone (and I don't go often).

As for the men who do the raping... usually they are just sick perverts. But I'm sure there is the occasional "normal guy" who got mixed signals from a woman. I mean, using the clubbing scenario above: perhaps one of those women, bent over, letting a stranger grind her... ended up going home with the guy. Of course, in that situation, the man is going to try and make a move. After having a women bent over in submission letting him dance up on her all night - what else is he to think? Is he going to think of her as a strong, respectable woman that he wants to take out on a date before trying anything? Or is he going to see her as an "easy lay"?

The woman wasn't portraying herself as a respectable person. So obviously the guy is gonna try something. Of course, I'm not saying it's either right or wrong for the guy to try and get some. But the minute the woman says, No, the guy should back off immediately. It becomes rape when the woman says "No" and the man keeps going. And more often than not, that's what happens. These women act like that in the clubs and then get bothered when the men they are dancing with want to go back home with them to "finish the night off".

It's just confusing to me, as a woman. Why act like that if you aren't looking for sex? Just to tease men? That's not responsible. I mean, when I'm dancing in the club... and a man starts getting a little too close. I back off and go over to my friends. I don't want to give him ANY kind of wrong idea.

Obviously, if they end up getting raped... it's not their fault. But... they would have been much much safer acting more responsible in the first place!

And that's just my opinion about those who dress promiscuously and physically rub up against male strangers. I'm sure I'm not the only woman here who thinks that that behavior is asking for trouble. (Key word, "trouble". They're asking for trouble not asking for a violation... no one asks to be violated or raped).

This is a response I fully agree with and similar to what I was gonna post earlier but then deleted! these type of threads are not easy to post in, but obviously have to be discussed and am glad that they are on this board!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
One final comment. The study was brought to you by the CDC; the government agency that actively campaigns the need for HPV vaccinations in all girls and boys (young men/women). Such a study as this will promote their agenda and scare parents into protecting their daughters from HPV that a future rapist will give to her, or protect their sons from HPV from having sex with a girl that was raped but didn't tell anyone about it.

Boys, young men should get HPV vaccine, CDC panel says

Mandating HPV Vaccination: What are the arguments?

Other Arguments

Some are concerned that boys are not being immunized for HPV at this point in the United States or considered for mandatory immunization. Yet boys are not immune. They can carry the virus and pass it to their partners. Currently, research on boys is being conducted, and the findings should be published in the future (Markowitz et al., 2007).

The HPV vaccine currently is recommended for females up to the age of 26 years. But HPV has a second incidence peak among 60-year-olds (Harper, 2007a). Women this age do not currently have the option to take this vaccine. Women older than 26 years who were vaccinated previously also may need a booster, but it currently is not known when or whether a vaccination will be recommended for women older than 26 years.

Finally, HPV infection can result from nonconsensual sex, including sexual assault and date RAPE. Many girls who experience sex at a young age report that their first sexual experience was coercive (National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, 2007). Special consideration should be given for vaccination of girls and women who may be at higher risk for nonconsensual sex, such as those with delayed or slow development, mental impairment, or mental illness.

Pros of the Gardasil Vaccine

Gardasil Protects in Cases of Rape

Gardasil affords protection to women who are raped by someone who may have a strain of HPV linked to cancer or genital warts.

Think there might be a motive to pad the numbers on a report about the unbelievably-high incidence of rape?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

i'm not trying to dumb down the spectrum of possibilities into two categories, as that would be a gross oversimplification. however, in some cases the girl DOES share some blame.

yes, there are violent and unprovoked rape cases, and there are also girls who wear very little and are complete teases who then wonder why they end up getting treated like sex objects.

for the first group, i feel extreme sadness and anger. for the second, i feel pity.

i've never heard the expression "looking for a rape" used in spoken language, but i've seen it happen none-the-less.

Whenever I go to a club, I look at my fellow women dressed in... well, things that I wouldn't even consider to be clothes. And the way they dance... I mean, my God. A few weeks ago, I watched a group of scantily clad women bent over the bar table (like, bent in a right-angle) with men humping them from behind. And apparently, THAT'S considered dancing.

i'm sorry, but if a woman is acting like that, i can't say it was completely the man's fault. yes, he did ultimately give in, but she also played a part in a situation like that. that is all i'm saying. dress and act like a sex object, and you'll likely be treated as such.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

is this Lifetime where men are terrible and they will hurt you??

I find it hard to believe it is that high... is it including all those Screwball women who say yes then after the deed they decide to cal itl rape??

and if women do not want a certain kind of attention DO NOT DRESS LIKE A PROSTITUTE... it is pretty simple

last night I was talking to a friend who has a **** me outfit... it is not the first time i have heard this...

it does not excuse men at all but no one puts a gun to the head of women on adult films and magazines. heck they are even proud of it saying it is empowering...

in films and print women portray themselves as pieces of meat to be lusted over. Young women follow suit and then are surprised when men act out what they see on film and print.

If you do not want to be treated like a wh*r* do not dress or act like one. it is pretty simple.

Not all rape are a result of this but this has a lot to do with it.

when will women start acting like women again... it's even getting to the point where men have to become picky because of how wh*ry women are today.

retards.

edit on 15-12-2011 by yaluk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Originally posted by brokedown
All I can say is Baloney!

In no way is 20% of the females in the US a victim of Rape.

edit on 12-15-2011 by Springer because: DON'T try to circumvent our vulgar language censor.

And your omniscient...and can say for sure...you can be every where all the time?
Can't believe such ignorance ....

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
www.fbi.gov...

Overview
There were an estimated at 84,767 forcible rapes reported to law enforcement in 2010. This estimate was 5.0 percent lower than the 2009 estimate and 10.3 percent and 6.7 percent lower than the 2006 and 2001 estimates, respectively. (See Tables 1 and 1A.)
The rate of forcible rapes in 2010 was estimated at 54.2 per 100,000 female inhabitants.
Rapes by force comprised 93.0 percent of reported rape offenses in 2010, and attempts or assaults to commit rape accounted for 7.0 percent of reported rapes. (Based on Table 19.)

FBI statistic is 54 women in every 100,000 women are raped.

That is a far, far cry from the OP statistic of 20,000 of 100,000

FBI reported statistic is .054 percent of women in the US are rape victims

I think the FBI has a better handle on crime than most anyone else

edit on 15-12-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

I think the real answer is somewhere in between. The FBI does not have a handle on rapes that go *unreported*

-rrr

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Hydroman

If I had daughters, I would move to a remote island and never see civilization again.

Believe me, sometimes it's really tempting.

I'm only half kidding, I don't know how I would deal with it. It is so scary, so, so, so scary. It is also scary to think of all the landmines my boys could walk into with false accusations, or real accusations, or child support, or so many other modern day problems. 100 years ago a shotgun wedding was the solution to most problems, but nowadays it is so much more complicated.

A long time ago, I had a client who was 10 years old and pregnant--she was 9 when she was impregnated. She had been gang raped by her 18 year old cousin and two of his friends. I'd just found out I was pregnant and I was so horrified I was praying for a boy.

My daughter is just now entering the dating scene and I won't lie, I'm terrified. I remember very well what it was like to be a teenager. The pressure the boys can put on you is just awful.

And, I know this is a sexist opinion, but in my eyes something like Jerry Sandusky is even more frightening than a regular rape. I just can't imagine a grown boy of age 10, 12, 15 being forcibly raped by a grown man? I know it is traumatic for girls, but it has to be even more crushing for the developing ego of a pubescent boy that sees himself as a young man. How can he ever look at himself as a man again after that?

I don't know. That's a difficult question.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012

Think there might be a motive to pad the numbers on a report about the unbelievably-high incidence of rape?

Just posed this question to a few female family/friends.

What is the percentage of women You know personally that have been raped/date raped?

Girlfriend 90-95%
Ex 50%
Cousin (f) 75%
Aunt 50-75%

This is first hand knowledge that has no agenda behind it in order to "pad" numbers.

I still think 20% is an extremely low estimate.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adamanteus

Obviously You haven't read the thread, Getreadyalready has stated that close to 100% of women(in his age group) he knows have been violated in some way, I have stated that I am guessing 85-90% of the women I know have been sexually assaulted. I can guarantee 50% from admission the other 35-40% have either went silent, got this far off look and stated no angrily or just got up and walked out of the room while saying "I don't want to talk about it." Only a handful have stated no with what I consider a mature and intelligent response to a question which leads me to believe the others may have not been comfortable talking about it.

And most of us have probably been subjected to it more than once. The unwanted groping is included in that. I know I have been. And I wonder if we can't put outright leering in that category, too. Believe me, men are perfectly capable of making you feel like you're being raped or at least evaluated for it just with their eyes and body language. Legally that doesn't count, but those are the creepers you get as far away from as possible.

Do You really think women want to talk to men about being raped by other men?

Hell no. A man is the very last person I'd tell. I wouldn't tell my mother, either, for the simple reason that women are actually the harshest judges of all.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yaluk

is this Lifetime where men are terrible and they will hurt you??

I find it hard to believe it is that high... is it including all those Screwball women who say yes then after the deed they decide to cal itl rape??

and if women do not want a certain kind of attention DO NOT DRESS LIKE A PROSTITUTE... it is pretty simple

last night I was talking to a friend who has a **** me outfit... it is not the first time i have heard this...

it does not excuse men at all but no one puts a gun to the head of women on adult films and magazines. heck they are even proud of it saying it is empowering...

in films and print women portray themselves as pieces of meat to be lusted over. Young women follow suit and then are surprised when men act out what they see on film and print.

If you do not want to be treated like a wh*r* do not dress or act like one. it is pretty simple.

Not all rape are a result of this but this has a lot to do with it.

when will women start acting like women again... it's even getting to the point where men have to become picky because of how wh*ry women are today.

retards.

edit on 15-12-2011 by yaluk because: (no reason given)

Why don't we all just wear burkas and not leave the house without a male relative?

/sarcasm

Wearing jeans and a sweatshirt doesn't protect you. A lot of women dress that way BECAUSE MEN LIKE IT and because when you're competing with other women, jeans just doesn't cut it. I'm not saying it's right, but if you guys didn't respond to it, we wouldn't dress like it. Simple as that.

This article shows just much respect men have for women and how they view us:

news.yahoo.com...

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — A University of Vermont fraternity has been suspended while school officials, national organization leaders and police investigate allegations that a survey was circulated among members asking them who they would like to rape.

edit on 12/15/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billmeister
Now can we discuss the root cause of such a high level of violence, and potential means of countering it?

the Billmeister

This may sound unusual, but I think it involves a fundamental dysfunction within the context of family, at all levels, and a wicked spirit involving denial, and the sins of the father, generationally. An excessively patriarchal soceity, wherein men are trained to deny their right brained feminin aspects probably doesn't help much either. There is no way a whole person of integrity could ever do such a thing. The lust for vengeance however, isn't helpful, we need to dig deeper to hack at the root of such evils in the world. It makes me more sad than mad to be honest, because men and women, in a loving embrace with mutuality and mutual respect and admiration, are the very keystone of a civilized society. Somewhere along the way, something went haywire to result in such stats, which seems a little on the high end, but there are just way too many stories about the uncle or the neighbor or other trusted people in positions of power, who then allow an evil spirit to engage in an abuse of power through them. It's an act of violence in diametric opposition to the loving framework of family, starting with the union of husband and wife ie: it's a deep psychological and societal problem which needs addressing at the root and source.

The world needs to be made whole again, and this is like a symptom of a terrible illness, which needs healing, so as to stop the whole dynamic in its tracks, and replace it with authentic love and mutuality between men and women.

edit on 15-12-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wow a scary thought.... What is the percentage of rapist?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

A rapist rarely strikes once. Have confidence that this means only, perhaps, 10% of men are like that.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

A rapist rarely strikes once. Have confidence that this means only, perhaps, 10% of men are like that.

Speaking as a woman, 10% is more than enough. The trouble is that it's rarely obvious who is and who isn't a rapist. We really have no way of knowing for sure.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
Wouldn't be surprised by this.. I know a lot who go clubbing and get drunk and get groped and sexually assaulted in the progress.

I think you're absolutely right. I just can't feel sorry for somebody who knowingly puts themselves in a situation where they can be easily manipulated. If you really don't want to be violated, don't go around asking for it by being a drunk stooper. And how many of those reported cases are just women pissed off trying to get attention/compensation etc.. Really all you have to do is look at a woman wrong, or have her think that you did, all the sudden you're a pervert a sexual abuser, a rapist, you're fired, and no one is willing to listen to your side of the story. That's a lot of power for one person to have, and power can easily be abused. I have no doubt that many people are doing this, because almost everybody abuses the power they get. BTW Im not someone who thinks that every rape/ sexual harrasment is like this, I just feel that most of the time is like that. Not everyone is a rapist, but according to the study nearly 1 out of 4 would have to be, so that 1 out of 4 would be raped.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Talking about rape fantasy's I dated a girl who wanted me to break into her house in the middle of the night and rape her, I thought she was joking but she kept on asking me to do it so I dumped her.
Also I think the 20% thing is rubbish tbh, I know two girls who accused fellas of rape and both went to court and both were found out to be telling fib's, the thing is it destroyed both of the fellas lives. It is this type of woman that screws it up for the real victims of rape.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
For those whom are arguing about the figures, does it really matter if it's 20 or 2%?
Rape is still a crime, men should be the protectors of these women not he other way around.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Wearing jeans and a sweatshirt doesn't protect you. A lot of women dress that way BECAUSE MEN LIKE IT and because when you're competing with other women, jeans just doesn't cut it. I'm not saying it's right, but if you guys didn't respond to it, we wouldn't dress like it. Simple as that.

this is one of the causes. you enjoy the attention that men give you when you show lots of skin, then you wonder why you get treated like a sex object. if you're looking for a lasting relationship with someone who will love you, dressing like a slut won't get you there. he will think you just want sex, because of the vibe skimpy outfits give off.

there's a reason you hear of sluts having lots of sex, but no steady relationships. you'll find what you were looking for.

i prefer women who don't show so much, because those that do obviously have attention issues, so how do i know they won't go looking for attention from others if i go out with her? there are plenty of ways to let a guy know you're interested besides being a tease.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

You're bang-on with that insight! I read on one forum about someone's experience attempting to tell their 12 year old daughter's doctor that the Gardisil vaccine wasn't right for her daughter. The doctor's final argument before walking out of the exam room was, "What if she gets RAPED?"

Yes, rape is a problem in the U.S.. But that can sell our product.....

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

i also know a few girls with rape fantasies. three to be exact. one of them had been raped when she was little, but the other two didn't have any trauma like that to cause issues. one of the others ended up getting "raped" later (complete tease/slut) and she enjoyed the attention/pity everyone gave her, so she ended up looking for situations where she would get raped (true story) so that people would give her attention because of it.

i'm sure she would say that she's been raped, but i wouldn't call it that.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join